Wheels & Tires (Gallery of Photos) - Page 3 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.20 average.
Old 09-01-2003, 08:35 PM   #31 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

borg,

You mean you put the same size wheels and tires on both sides?

Out of curiosity, other than a dent in the wallet, what do the larger wheels/tires achieve?
xxx-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2003, 09:03 PM   #32 (permalink)
cloak'd M E M B E R

xxx-4:borg,

You mean you put the same size wheels and tires on both sides?

Out of curiosity, other than a dent in the wallet, what do the larger wheels/tires achieve?

Not only on both sides but front & back too.

It's all about having a balanced look, I've always felt that the Pilot's OEM tires were not proportionate to the rest of the vehicle. The dent in the wallet caused by purchasing tires/wheels is minute in relation to the purchase price of the Pilot itself

borg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2003, 09:22 PM   #33 (permalink)

borg,

Okay, I understand your concept.

I guess I just don't get the notion of 20" wheels and low profile tires on an SUV. I see a lot of Navigators and Escalades with that setup, and it looks silly to me. I also looked at a lot of photos of Pilots with after market wheels, and with few exceptions, the appearance doesn't change much. I just feel there ought to be a little performance gain or utility improvement on an aftermarket accessory.

Different strokes, I guess.

BTW, got any photos of your ride?
Old 09-01-2003, 09:52 PM   #34 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by xxx-4

...snip

BTW, got any photos of your ride?
Only 300 or so. Look here for starters: BORG'S PILOT vs............
Old 09-02-2003, 12:39 AM   #35 (permalink)

xxx-4,
Next time you look at a Honda Pilot driving down the road and when you see something like a Mercedes ML or a BMW X-5, look at how wide their tires are compared to the Pilots. The stock tires look too small for the size of our suv and is definitely out of proportion. By increasing the size of the wheel and tire, you will increase handling and braking provided the tire/wheel combo is not alot heavier than stock.
I agree with you regarding some of those SUV's with the big 22+" wheels and tires as they are just going for a certain look. It actually decreases their performance in both acceleration and braking due to the massive increase in wheel/tire rotational weight. For the Pilot, I would suggest going to either a 17" or no larger than 18" wheel/tire combo if you want to get that more agressive look and handling. After that, you will only be doing more harm than good.
Litespeeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2003, 10:45 AM   #36 (permalink)
Art
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Art
Lightbulb Try here....

www.tirerack.com

Lets you see different wheels and tire combos on a pic of your vehicle. Pretty good site.

Former vehicle:'03 Pilot- Nighthawk Black Pearl EX-L
All-Season Mats- DIY-Lund Air Deflector, Rear Splash Guards,Side Steps, Wood Dash Kit, Fog Lights, wheel locks, crossbars, Sirius Orbiter, Many wwong items

Wife:07 Accord LX- Alabaster Silver Metallic w/black interior

'49 Chevy Styline Deluxe sedan(My toy)
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #37 (permalink)
Le Moderatorô Rangerģ

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe

Some owner on eBay went with Maya wheels (a division of Lowenhart), and chose 19" for best combination of ride quality and appearance. He used a set of Michelin Diamaris tires (the same tires used on the BMW X5 and Porsche Cayenne SUVs- they're the absolute top-of-the-line), size 255/50R19 102V to get optimum handling, speed rating, and load capacity.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pilotwith19s.jpg (146.6 KB, 9756 views)
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2003, 12:44 AM   #38 (permalink)

Litespeed,

I think up to a 19 inch rim is a safe bet, higher than that might be pushing performance. I agree a nice wide wheel is in order for the Pilot. Do you know how wide you can go on a Pilot before the wheel/tire come outside of the wheel well?
Old 09-09-2003, 01:00 AM   #39 (permalink)

It really depends upon the weight of the tire/wheel combo. The stock wheel/tire combo weighs in right around 50.4 lbs. My 18" setup is about 60.5 lbs. Just by having an extra 10 pounds at each corner, I can tell my braking is not as strong as it use to be as well as the initial acceleration. Again, I am a very detailed person and notice things like that. I don't think my wife feels any difference.
As for the widest possible wheel and tire combo, I can only guess because of what I currently have on my car that an 8.5" wheel with an offset around +35 to around +42 should fit with a 255 size tire. Again, this is a guess and should be verified by a tire/wheel store before purchase.
Old 09-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #40 (permalink)

Litespeeds,

You previously stated:
Quote:
By increasing the size of the wheel and tire, you will increase handling and braking provided the tire/wheel combo is not alot heavier than stock.
Now you indicate:
Quote:
I can tell my braking is not as strong as it use to be as well as the initial acceleration.
I'm failing to understand the benefit of the larger wheels/tires. Am I missing something?
Old 09-09-2003, 11:47 AM   #41 (permalink)

When I mean that the cars brakes don't feel as strong, I am referring to the initial bite. I have a feeling that if you slam on the brakes, it will probably stop faster as there are alot more rubber on the ground and will not skid as easily, therefore the abs will not kick on as soon. I have not tested this but again, it is the initial feel that I can tell that the wheels are a little heavier than stock.
What I was thinking about doing was either get a smaller size tire to reduce the weight or get a lighter wheel/tire combo to match the stock weight.
The advantages far outweighs the disadvantages for having aftermarket wheels and tires, at least for me anyways.
xxx-4, if you are wondering why people would even change tires and wheels. The answer is: looks, performance and originality. It is not for everyone and probably not for you. There are some ultra light weight wheels out there but usually cost quite a bit so it is very hard to find something that is nice looking, inexpensive and relatively decent weight. That is why I chose the ADR Spade wheels as that fit my criteria. I only wish they came in either 8" or 8.5". But then again, that would increase the weight of the wheel. Good and bad. Always a positive side and negative side to almost everything.
Old 09-09-2003, 12:25 PM   #42 (permalink)

I think it will be very difficult to find a 17 or 18x8.5 and have it be the same weight as the Honda stock. If you do find it the wheels will probably not be that great looking. All the people I know would say their aftermarket wheel/tire combo is a huge upgrade. If it was not an upgrade we would not be spending thousands of dollars. I will be upgrading for looks and performance. The wheel now is way to small/narrow for the Pilot
Old 09-09-2003, 02:10 PM   #43 (permalink)

Come on, guys. Admit it. Itís a looks thing, not a performance thing.

What performance parameter is your Pilot lacking? Do you really run slalom courses or even take it off-road (and I donít just mean off-pavement)?
Old 09-09-2003, 02:14 PM   #44 (permalink)

Why do you think the BMW and Porsches come with larger and wider wheels? Performance and looks. More tire on the surface = better traction and turning. I not saying it does not look a 100 times better because it does but performance is also a factor. Especially in a SUV to be able to take a corner and not feel a tipping sensation.
Old 09-09-2003, 02:40 PM   #45 (permalink)
heh heh, he said "member"

xxx, you know what they say about ASSumptions?

Do not go gentle into that good night... ...Rage, rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Samuel2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: