Spare tire removal - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-26-2009, 09:38 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Spare tire removal

I bought a pre-owned 06 EXL early this month. I would like to check the air pressure in the spare and read the section in the manual on spare tire removal. As I recall the manual states that in re-installing the spare it should be cranked upward until you hear it click into place. Does the spare enter some sort of clamp and click to let you know "stop cranking" or is it done by feel? This car is my 4th SUV but my 1st Honda and it's an interesting vehicle though different from others we've had. Never had a car with the spare suspended by a cable. I did a search on the forum before posting this question and apologize if I missed a prior answer.
blusteel7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2009, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Piloting the Family

Default Re: Spare tire removal

Quote:
Originally posted by blusteel7
I bought a pre-owned 06 EXL early this month. I would like to check the air pressure in the spare and read the section in the manual on spare tire removal. As I recall the manual states that in re-installing the spare it should be cranked upward until you hear it click into place. Does the spare enter some sort of clamp and click to let you know "stop cranking" or is it done by feel? This car is my 4th SUV but my 1st Honda and it's an interesting vehicle though different from others we've had. Never had a car with the spare suspended by a cable. I did a search on the forum before posting this question and apologize if I missed a prior answer.
No clamp thay I know of...on our 08, it released as if no mechanical clamp was present. Cannot comment on the return to position as the tire repair shop put it back in.

So what SUV's have you had that you're comparing the Pilot to? It's very much Honda in that it does most things better than average for what it is designed for. It's not a hard core truck but more of an alternative to a minivan. Ours has served us very well being a family of 5 and our 5th Honda.
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

welcome blusteel7 to p.org..

I don't think the/my '04 is much different from your 06 Pilot.

I've taken down the spare about a half a dozen times since new and I don't ever remember any click or latching mechanism.

I'm pretty sure that you just crank 'er back up until it snugs up to the underbody. That is what I do and it's never fallen back out or come loose.

Now I gotta go read my owner manual regarding the spare tire storage process.....
jestmaty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 07:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Spare tire removal

Quote:
Originally posted by Bowzer

No clamp thay I know of...on our 08, it released as if no mechanical clamp was present. Cannot comment on the return to position as the tire repair shop put it back in.

So what SUV's have you had that you're comparing the Pilot to? It's very much Honda in that it does most things better than average for what it is designed for. It's not a hard core truck but more of an alternative to a minivan. Ours has served us very well being a family of 5 and our 5th Honda.
I replaced a GMC 4WD Suburban with the 06 Pilot. We still own an 04 Trailblazer and have had a Jeep Cherokee which was completely unreliable. We needed the 3rd row seat because the grandkids like to ride with us pretty often and the Pilot will be used as a car with no off roading. I drove a Highlander, Veracruz, Santa Fe and a new Pilot but decided on the 06 Pilot because of the price and what appears to be it's excellent condition. I bought an Accord and a Civic years ago for the kids while in college and got really good service from both of them. Thanks for all the info on the spare. Just like to do a trial run on that sort of stuff before trying it out of necessity.
Old 10-26-2009, 08:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
KKL

Default Re: Spare tire removal

Quote:
I think the cranking mechanism involves either a ratchet or a cam design and is therefore self-limiting. You "cannot" over-tighten it. So when you hear it click, it is time to stop. Or after one click, you can snug it up just a smidge more but stop short of the next click.
KKL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: Spare tire removal

Quote:
Originally posted by KKL

I think the cranking mechanism involves either a ratchet or a cam design and is therefore self-limiting. You "cannot" over-tighten it. So when you hear it click, it is time to stop. Or after one click, you can snug it up just a smidge more but stop short of the next click.
That makes sense. Will lower it tomorrow if I can find time. Thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #7 (permalink)
Piloting the Family

Default Re: Re: Re: Spare tire removal

Quote:
I replaced a GMC 4WD Suburban with the 06 Pilot. We still own an 04 Trailblazer and have had a Jeep Cherokee which was completely unreliable. We needed the 3rd row seat because the grandkids like to ride with us pretty often and the Pilot will be used as a car with no off roading. I drove a Highlander, Veracruz, Santa Fe and a new Pilot but decided on the 06 Pilot because of the price and what appears to be it's excellent condition. I bought an Accord and a Civic years ago for the kids while in college and got really good service from both of them. Thanks for all the info on the spare. Just like to do a trial run on that sort of stuff before trying it out of necessity.
Gee your history sounds a bit familiar...
4wd Suburban: Used heavily for work I did back in the 90's...workhorse.
Jeep Grand Cherokee: One of the best looking most capable off roaders that I had to walk past many a morning (to a 200k mile Accord) in my driveway because of one problem or another...been there done that.
3rd Accord sits in driveway at just short of 200k miles as a side vehicle to an 08 Pilot and 08 Element.

I think you'll find the Pilot will serve as a great daily transporter for you and those grandkids. Enjoy.
Bowzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 11:41 AM   #8 (permalink)

Follow up:
Removed the cheesy spare and the air pressure was 30PSI. It had probably never been removed because it was really dirty on the top side. When pulling it back into positon I heard no click so I suspect the spring on the holding sleeve compresses to give enough tension for it to stay in place. I tightened until it wouldn't move around when pushing on it by hand so maybe it will stay put.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

I can hear the click on my 08 when put the tire back in.
Old 10-30-2009, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

I never noticed a click in my '03, either with the doughnut or the full spare on a steel rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: