Just got screwed! - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums
View Poll Results: What would you do if you have 1/4 inch puncture in the tire?
Replace Tire 2 50.00%
Patch and Plug Tire 2 50.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just got screwed!

So yesterday afternoon. I went to pickup up Wendy's for my son. I parked the car and grabbed a couple of burgers to go. I pull out of the lot and onto the street. Within 5 seconds of driving. I start to hear a scraping sound every half second coming from the rear. The stretch of road had just been paved and new signs are being put up. So I assumed the tire got punctured from loose debris. I was able to get home to check the damage. By now tpms light shows the right rear tire is leaking. I take a look and sure enough 1/4 inch bolt stuck in the middle tread. It's a shame since there is only 8k on the tire. So my question is what would you do plug and patch or complete replacement?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_20170420_074759.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	495.3 KB
ID:	105882  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 Honda Pilot Touring 4wd

Disclaimer: I have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by Bluensleepy; 04-20-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 08:47 AM
xGS

Another one of life's "why me" moments.

A plug and patch done from inside the tire should be okay.
However, when I'm travelling along at highway speed, I'd rather not be wondering if the person who made the repair did a good job and if it's gong to hold - so on those rare occasions that I have gotten a flat, I've bought a new tire.
If you were going to be trading in the car soon, a repair might the way to go.

Maybe the Goodyear all-terrain tire with the Kevlar belt would have been a better choice for the roads in the NYC metro area.

2003 EX
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid
I've gone many miles on plugs/patches with no problems, they shouldn't give you any problems if the tech is competent.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<------------ click here first, n0oB!!!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:15 PM

Plug it and drive. Only replace the tire if the plug fails.

2016 Honda Pilot Touring (Canada)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:21 PM

I dealt with a similar situation last year. The local tire shop dismounted the tire, removed the nail, plugged the hole, patched it from the inside using rubber cement and I was good to go. This is the proper method, according to the Rubber Manufacturers Association. I'd be leery of places that only use a plug.

2013 Pilot EX-L 4WD: 40K miles
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Garage
This is actually my second puncture in less than a year. Not the same tire though. The first one was a wood screw not as large in diameter as this one. I guess my main concern is what size puncture would be unsafe to patch and plug? Hopefully my luck will change after this. As always thanks for all the input fellas!

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:48 PM
xGS

Keep in mind that the issue isn't only whether or not the repair is sealed to the inside of the tire so that it holds air, but also that the plug/patch must prevent moisture from reaching any of the steel belts within the tread that were exposed by the puncture. If the seal to the outside of the tire isn't adequate, the steel belts can corrode over time potentially leading to a tire failure.

2003 EX
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 11:05 PM

Garage
I voted to replace the tire, because:
  1. The tire is fairly new and if you get the same kind, the difference won't be too significant and it can just join in with its new friends and smoothly transition to take over where its predecessor left off in a tire's grand circle of life of tire rotations.
  2. I'm spending someone else's money.

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
(green);
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 01:16 AM

In the past on other vehicles, particularly those with performance tires, the choice is almost made for you. You get to de-rate the tire one speed class. Fun continues as you risk having tires with different tread deptch and remaining life. Knowing you'll end up buying the mate sooner or later, I opt for sooner and bite the bullet.

For the Pilot... I'd do a proper plug-and-patch if it's an option, rebalance, and be good with it. I'm maybe half way through the OEM Michelins, so no road-hazard warranty to help with cost either way. I don't test the speed rating on the Pilot tires. Replacements will come with a road-hazard warranty, but those typically last only 5 years from date of purchase. Even with that warranty, the servicing dealer makes the call on whether it gets the fix or gets replaced.

dr bob

2013 Touring in Alabaster Silver with black inside. Has LED interior lights now, full rubber mats, and the deluxe running boards added.

In the high desert of central Oregon.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
This morning I took the tire to a well known tire shop. They have done patches in the past for me. The tech guy inspects the tire. He says the tire has a 1/2 inch puncture. The threshold is 1/4 inch or less. Just to verify if he was correct I searched online. Sure enough he was. So I purchased a new tire.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret...jsp?techid=187

Last edited by Bluensleepy; 04-22-2017 at 01:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: