Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/)
-   Comparisons (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/4-comparisons/)
-   -   Pilot vs. Outlook, Arcadia and CX-9? (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/4-comparisons/17767-pilot-vs-outlook-arcadia-cx-9-a.html)

Stever 02-11-2007 08:33 PM

Pilot vs. Outlook, Arcadia and CX-9?

I was really in the market for the Pilot, 07 EXL-Navi, but held off due to the incentives and wanted to see if Feb 6th changed anything. Well in the meantime I have run into the Arcadia, Outlook and the CX-9. I have not had a chance to drive any of them as of now

All 3 appear to be larger than the Pilot and similar equipped models price in-line with the EXL-navi. At this point I can get a deal on the Pilot, making the others run about 4-5 grand more, but sticker prices are close. All 3 have either 18 or 20 inch wheels and look much more aggressive than the Pilot. The interior is very nice as well. Anyone have a chance to drive one yet? I know they have a little more hp as well.

GreenMachine 02-12-2007 12:41 PM

The Acadia and Outlook look pretty nice and are substantially larger than the Pilot in terms of cargo volume, but just beware that you might the guinea pig for those first year problems with all new models. If you donít need a car right now, wait and see when GM will offer rebates on them. You know they willÖ ;)

Havenít really looked at the CX9.

The Pilot is rumored to be redesigned for the 2008 model even though time is getting short, and not much has surfaced to back this up.

rlapid 02-12-2007 06:12 PM

i agree with greenmachine. the way i see it, these new crossovers may outperform and have better features than the current model pilot, but when the redesigned pilot is released, i'm sure it will be up to par, probably even better, than the arcadia, cx-9, outlook, and the new suzuki xl7. i'd say if you have the patience, wait for that new pilot. it will be worth it, even if it costs more than the current pilot.

jdeanski 02-12-2007 06:16 PM

I saw an Arcadia on a dealer's lot last Sunday and pulled in to take a look. It was locked and the dealership closed but it looks bigger than the Pilot. The rear loading height was about 4 inches higher than the Pilot. Although this one had second row captain's chairs the Arcadia looked very nice. Actually it made my Pilot look very dated next to it.

Stever 02-12-2007 06:54 PM

I had a chance to drive the new CX-9 today. It is very nice, but it was the base model. They all have autostick and you lose most of the center console storage that you have in the Pilot. The acceleration seemed improved over the Pilot and it does make the Pilot look somewhat outdated.

I am looking at the CX-9 in the Grand Touring which comes with leather, memory seats, 20 inch wheels, Xenon, moonroof and Bose system. It stickered at around $35k, the dealer was willing to take off about $2k without negotiating.

howdySA 02-12-2007 10:05 PM

The Outlook, Acadia and CX-9 look okay... but they all seem rather derivative of a melted jellybean. But I'm sure that's to help with drag and fuel mileage. But what sort of turned me off on the GM products were the back ends. They have a minivan-like appearance which to me is sort of a turn off.

I had an '03 Trailblazer that I drove for work and though it drove well, fuel mileage was taxing and I had problems with electronics and the A/C that nearly made me go crazy.

Rocky 02-12-2007 10:06 PM

Going to be interesting to see how the Ford Freestyle update drives with its 3.5 liter 260hp and a normal transmission and new Taurus name.

Sportymonk 02-12-2007 11:54 PM

Yeah, I had a Impala. Luckily we kept just enough sanity to make it to the Honda dealer. Some folks loose their minds completely and keep buying GMs. :p

Quote:

Originally posted by howdySA

I had an '03 Trailblazer that I drove for work and though it drove well, fuel mileage was taxing and I had problems with electronics and the A/C that nearly made me go crazy.

Stever 02-13-2007 07:47 AM

I liked the look of the Trailblazers when they were introduced, but they have horrible reviews. By brother has one and has no issues, but with the bad rep that they have I would not touch one.

jl_ss 02-13-2007 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stever
I liked the look of the Trailblazers when they were introduced, but they have horrible reviews. By brother has one and has no issues, but with the bad rep that they have I would not touch one.
It all comes down to your chances of getting a bad one. The Pilot has a reliability rating of about 55% greater than the average for it's class (right behind the V6 Highlander at 60%). The best vehicle in that class is the 4 cyl Highlander at 70% greater than average. The Trailblazer/Envoy are just below average. So while there are still many good Chevys, there are more bad ones for every good one compared to the Pilot. Even if you have troubles with one Pilot, the chances are still much greater that you will have a trouble free vehicle if you replace it with another one rather than a Chevy.

pngator 02-14-2007 05:38 PM

Pilot Vs. Acadia, Outlook

All:

We have owned our 2004 Pilot EX for over three years now. Great vehicle! The Pilot replace our Jeep Cherokee. At that time, we had a 2 1/2 year old and next month will be expecting our 2nd child.

Although we got the base 04 EX (cloth interior, no other upgrades), I have always felt that Honda can do just a little bit more with the standard options that it provides in the Pilot.

I am impressed with what GM has released with the Acadia and Outlook. The standard options it provides (basic common sense like fold down 2nd row seats for easy access to the third row, power liftgate, sunroof, and the additional cargo room) is what is drawing me. I do not want to go the minivan route. I hear that there may be a Chevy version of this CUV. I have never owned a GM brand. I drive an 03 Acura TL. We have been a Honda branded family off and on for the past 10 years.

I am eagerly awaiting the 08 Pilot. I hope that Honda has noticed the additional competition that has come on board with regard to CUVs.

Let's go HONDA...blow the others' socks off!

Stever 02-14-2007 06:14 PM

We are expecting our 3rd child in Sept which promted me to sell my wifes Audi and now look at the Pilot. We previously bought an 03 Odyssey new and do not want another minivan.

I agree with the options on the domestic cars as well as the CX-9. I do hope that Honda makes a little adjustment on the next model year design, but does anyone know if it will be 08? The Auto Show is currently going on in Chicago and I plan on attending Friday. I would think there would be a design for the Pilot if it was in the works.

BillG 02-15-2007 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Stever
I do hope that Honda makes a little adjustment on the next model year design, but does anyone know if it will be 08? The Auto Show is currently going on in Chicago and I plan on attending Friday. I would think there would be a design for the Pilot if it was in the works.
I doubt Honda would show an '08 model at a show this early. I wouldn't expect to get much in the way of confirmation on teh 2008 until July or August this year.

Honda won't want to show it until they are very close shifting to production. Otherwise, it will just dry up sales on their current model.

mkaresh 02-16-2007 12:51 PM

Last time the Pilot appeared two years after the MDX and four after the minivan. That would make the next one a 2009, not a 2008.

I've driven and reviewed all of these. The Suzuki XL7 is packaged well and feels nimble because its narrower, but the interior is extremely cheap, much worse than the Grand Vitara from the same company.

The GM products are roomy and perform well considering their size. Far more room in the third row than in a Pilot, and sportier handling. But some interior bits are iffy, and it is the first year for them.

I conduct reliability research. I hope to have initial results for the Outlook in May, but August is more likely.

My Mazda CX-9 review

My Saturn Outlook review

Stever 02-17-2007 08:01 AM

I just came back from the auto show and spoke with a Honda employee. He stated that the new Pilot will not come out until the fall of 2008 as a 2009 model. The current production will run until then.