What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why?

Reading about the "lemons" that have been mentioned in other threads made me more curious about people's worst experiences with cars. In contrast, we all should feel that much better about owning a PILOT!!!

'03 Pilot Starlight Silver EX
~ Towing Package
~ Fog Lights w/ Lower Trim & Garnish
~ Running Boards, Rear Mud Guards
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
~Cargo Area Accessories: Cover * Tray * Organizer * Net
~ Honda Pilot.org Accessories: License Plate Frame * Sticker
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM

A 1995 Chevy Camaro. Piece of junk. I purchased it brand new when I was just out of college...everytime I would drive through a puddle the entire electrical system would shut down! That would include the power steering and power brakes. Ugh! I can't believe I didn't crash into a tree and die. I promptly traded it in for an Infiniti and have since purchase two others. No more American cars for me.
post #3 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 04:16 PM

Embarassingly...

...a Toyota Starlet. Think it was a 1980. And yes... I bought it new. (face turning redder now...) Kept it for 8 months. Too small and UGLY! Every time I got outta that car I wanted to be disguised like this guy... It did run pretty good though and at the time the price was right.

'03 Honda Pilot EXL - 30,808 - Sage Brush, Lower Trim w/Chrome & Fogs, Running Boards, Auto D/N Mirror, Cross Bars, Bumper & Mirror Chrome, Rear Splash, Cargo Tray, Cargo Organizer, All Season Mats, Back-up Sensors.

post #4 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 05:33 PM

1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

I know that there are thousands and thousands of Expeditions on the road and people haven't had any problems with theirs - mine on the other hand a GIGANTIC PIECE OF S**T!

here's the list of problems:

4 new engines in 4 years.
2 new dashboards
2 A/C system replacements
5 repairs to passenger/front seat belts
3 repairs to drivers side lumbar adjuster
countless repairs on the the electronic load-leveling suspension
countless "re-torquing" of the front suspension - kept coming lose
2 replacements of the cruise control system
4 replacements on front windshield wiper/turn signal control
3 replacements of rear wiper systems - kept burning out

The only things I didn't have a problem with was the 4-wheel drive system, the transmission and the stereo system.

When I approached Ford about replacing the vehicle they laughed it off. I threatened a lawsuit - they said "if you think you have a case go for it!"

The short story is, I found a lawyer and I'm now driving a new Honda PILOT thanks in large part of Ford Motor Company money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $

So, all I can say to Ford is this: I was a loyal Ford guy for 16-years (6 new/2 used vehicles in that time) and when I had a problem - they gave me the finger. Now those bastards won't get another dime of my money and I will bad mouth them any chance I get!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
post #5 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 05:55 PM

I bought a 1996 Nissan 200SX SE-R new and it was a headache from the beginning. It was constantly in for service, the check engine light would come on at least once a week. It turned out that the wrong EGR valve for the exhaust system was put on at the factory and every time I took it in for service the service tech put the same part (although new) on to fix it. I did take them to court under the lemon law and they paid me quite well for spending an excess of 25 days in their service departments.

Besides the lemon portion of the car I felt the build quality was so inferior to Honda that I regretted the purchase every time I drove it.

Luckly it was totalled and I used the insurance to buy my Integra, which has been a great car.

03 Pilot Sage Brush EX-L Navi: Backup camera, towing package, AirLift 1000, side steps, cargo tray, rear splash guards, FS spare, FormFit Air Deflector, debadged, and Zaino - SOLD
2005 S2000 - SOLD
2006 Toyota Tundra 4X4 DC
2006 Civic Hybrid Navi
post #6 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:24 PM Thread Starter

Question Re: 1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

Quote:
Originally posted by PILOTinginCO
I know that there are thousands and thousands of Expeditions on the road and people haven't had any problems with theirs - mine on the other hand a GIGANTIC PIECE OF S**T!

When I approached Ford about replacing the vehicle they laughed it off. I threatened a lawsuit - they said "if you think you have a case go for it!"

The short story is, I found a lawyer and I'm now driving a new Honda PILOT thanks in large part of Ford Motor Company money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $

So, all I can say to Ford is this: I was a loyal Ford guy for 16-years (6 new/2 used vehicles in that time) and when I had a problem - they gave me the finger. Now those bastards won't get another dime of my money and I will bad mouth them any chance I get!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
Question: What do you get when you combine a lemon, a turkey, and a bomb???
Answer: PILOTing's Ford Expedition

A bad experience, to be sure....but methinks your settlement with Ford helped to ease your pain.

~ Towing Package
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
post #7 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:31 PM
Super Senior Member

Re: 1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

Quote:
Originally posted by PILOTinginCO
//snip

That's awesome! I love it when a hard working ordinary joe takes on the big corporations after he's been screwed over and wins.
post #8 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:40 PM

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe
Re: Re: 1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

Quote:
Originally posted by RipRocK

That's awesome! I love it when a hard working ordinary joe takes on the big corporations after he's been screwed over and wins.
PILOTinginCO hired the law firm of Ben Dover & C. Howett Hertz, Attorneys-At-Law to represent him....
post #9 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Re: Re: Re: 1998 Ford Eddie Bauer Expedition

Quote:
Originally posted by kemosabe

PILOTinginCO hired the law firm of Ben Dover & C. Howett Hertz, Attorneys-At-Law to represent him....
LOL!
kemosabe, you are too funny.

2003 EX <font color="#948473">Sandstone</font>, Runningboards, Rear Splash Guard, Cargo Organizer, Crossbars
post #10 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:51 PM

Kemosabe strikes again! I'm going to have to hire that firm to represent me in my civil action against you as I will be suing for replacement of pants and punitive damages for emotional distress brought on by large yellow stain induced by uncontrollable laughter.

As far as worst car, it would have to be a toss-up between the first two cars I owned, a VW Rabbit and a Toyota Tercel. Both purchased used. All I could afford at the time, the Rabbit was very unreliable, the Tercel was just absolutely no fun at all. I've also owned a Camry, two Acura Legends, an Infiniti Q45, and a 2nd Gen Honda Odyssey. Yes, there's a trend there.
post #11 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

Send a message via Yahoo to colorider
not too bad....

I can't say I've ever had a REALLY bad vehicle. Probably the closest I have ever come was a 1991 Chevy AWD Astro. It was pretty much an "okay" car until shortly after it went out of warranty - at which time the power steering/brakes "booster" went south while I was driving up I-25 in the middle of Denver - during rush hour. Not a pretty picture!!! It cost me just over $1K to have it repaired. Shortly before I traded it off, the CV joints went too.

I also owned one of the infamous MoPar's that had the problem with a leaky head gasket. At one time, the problem was so widespread that the gaskets were on national back-order. Chrysler has never acknowledged this as a "problem".

YMMV

Enjoy Life Today
Yesterday Is Gone
Tomorrow May Never Come
post #12 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigrob
Kemosabe strikes again! I'm going to have to hire that firm to represent me in my civil action against you as I will be suing for replacement of pants and punitive damages for emotional distress brought on by large yellow stain induced by uncontrollable laughter.

[ S N I P P E D ]

kemosabe, on the other hand, decides to go with the law firm of Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe..... (an oldie, but a goodie)
post #13 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:31 PM

My worst experience was dumped for my new Pilot.
A 2001 Ford Escape XLT
List of issues in first year:
Rear main transaxle seal blown.
Rear shocks replaced (leaked)
New latch on rear hatch (rattled)
New inside door panels on two doors (rattled)
Replaced overflow tank and hose for radiator (leaked)
Replaced Master Brake Cylinder, Vacuum Booster, Tank and lines on Brake system after brakes went to the floor with my wife and son in the car at 12,000 miles.
Power door locks failed.
Etc, Etc... After eight trips to the dealer the first year, we traded it in for our Pilot. So far, 5,000 trouble free miles.

This was my third American made vehicle and the only luck I had was with my wifes Chrysler Concorde. Most of our trouble free vehicles have been foreign.

I'm sure Kemosabe will find a few jokes in this one somewhere...

Ziggy

03 EX Nighthawk Black Pearl, w/Side Step Rails, Chrome Mirror Covers, Chrome Bumper Covers on Front and Rear, All Weather Mats, Mud Flaps, All Weather Cargo Tray, Class II Trailer Hitch, Michelin Cross Terrain Tires, and LOTS OF ZAINO!!!!
post #14 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gziegler

[ S N I P P E D ]
MY worst experience was being dumped by a new Pilot....

P.S. Yes, I was really in the Air Force at one time....!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg parker.jpg (15.1 KB, 2476 views)
post #15 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by gziegler
A 2001 Ford Escape XLT
List of issues in first year:
Rear main transaxle seal blown.
Rear shocks replaced (leaked)
New latch on rear hatch (rattled)
New inside door panels on two doors (rattled)
Replaced overflow tank and hose for radiator (leaked)
Replaced Master Brake Cylinder, Vacuum Booster, Tank and lines on Brake system after brakes went to the floor with my wife and son in the car at 12,000 miles.
Power door locks failed.
Etc, Etc... After eight trips to the dealer the first year, we traded it in for our Pilot. So far, 5,000 trouble free miles.

This was my third American made vehicle and the only luck I had was with my wifes Chrysler Concorde. Most of our trouble free vehicles have been foreign.

I don't have Kemosabe's wit or photo resources, but here's a real joke:

I was actually seriously considering purchasing a 2001 Ford Escape XLT (or Mazda Tribute). Thank God, Consumer Report's evaluation of that vehicle brought me to my senses.

~ Towing Package
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: