What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why? - Page 3 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #31 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 10:46 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My worst was my first -- a 1973 black Buick Century with black vinyl seats, and a broken air conditioner. I felt fortunate to keep it running between oil changes. I traded it for a 1985 Nissan pickup, and when I drove it up to the dealership, the engine backfired so loud, the salesmen all raised their hands in the air.

But you know, for some reason I kind of miss that black bomb -- I guess because it was my first...

2003 SandStone EX-L, RES, Backup Sensors, Rear Splash Guards
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-15-2003, 11:42 AM

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee

P.O.S. !!!!!! Transmission went at 40,000 miles. Of course the warranty ended at 36,000.

2003 EX-L RES Starlight Silver
- Towing Package
- All Weather Mats
- Crossbars
post #33 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:36 PM

Thumbs down 1981 Olds Omega

This car was so bad that I swore I would never buy another first year production model again. I just broke that promise when I purchased the '03 Pilot.

The '81 Omega was one of GM's "X" cars - their first effort with a sideways mounted 4 cylinder engine on a trans-axle. The car tore up front tires left and right, and was unstable on wet or icy pavement. It was so bad that GM had to reposition the engine mount and redesign the front suspension the next model year to improve stability. Did GM do anything to help the suckers who purchased the first year "X" cars? NO!!

In addition to the handling issues, I lost the following over two very long years:

Power Steering Pump
2nd Gear (manual trans.)
Windshield Wiper Motor
Cruise Control
Radio Cassette Player
One Power Window
Air Conditioning Compressor

In those days, GM had a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty, so I paid for quite a bit of this. What a Dog!!! I actually felt guilty selling it. I've never purchased another GM vehicle.

Pilot #26932 EXL-RES SS w/ Side Steps, Cross Bars, Fog Lamps w/ Lower Trim, Rear Splash Guards, Full Size Spare, Towing Hitch, Cargo Cover, Cargo Mat, Cargo Organizer, All Season Floor Mats, Auto Day/Night Mirror & Wheel Locks.

post #34 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:52 PM

Re: 1981 Olds Omega

Quote:
Originally posted by foxhallow
The '81 Omega
A Chevy Citation clone.

Little bit of folklore, Name the Citation, because you should be ticketed for just driving one!

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
post #35 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-24-2003, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Stone
... when I drove it up to the dealership, the engine backfired so loud, the salesmen all raised their hands in the air.
Was it an Iraqi dealership ??

2003 SS EX-L , Towing Package, Crossbars, Chrome Trim, Separation Net ( To keep the real Scoobs in the back ) , Rear Splashguards, Chrome Exhaust Tips, PowerBulbs PowerPlus +50 bulbs (great bulbs) -- Replaced with 2008 RAV4 V6 Sport

2004 Titanium Silver Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport V8, Philips +30 Premium -- Replaced with 2007 4Runner Limited V8
post #36 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-25-2003, 12:27 AM

worst car ever owned

1976 Dodge Monaco Stationwagon- horrible 35 trips to the dealer for problems during the first year. Stalled on the way home when I drove it out of the dealership. Numerous problems from motor, gas mileage a whopping 7 miles per gallon. Back window shattered, shocks bad, just horrible. My wife spent her last pregnancy getting the car fixed!
post #37 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:02 PM Thread Starter

Re: 1981 Olds Omega

Quote:
Originally posted by foxhallow
This car was so bad that I swore I would never buy another first year production model again. I just broke that promise when I purchased the '03 Pilot.

The '81 Omega was one of GM's "X" cars - their first effort with a sideways mounted 4 cylinder engine on a trans-axle. The car tore up front tires left and right, and was unstable on wet or icy pavement. It was so bad that GM had to reposition the engine mount and redesign the front suspension the next model year to improve stability. Did GM do anything to help the suckers who purchased the first year "X" cars? NO!!

In addition to the handling issues, I lost the following over two very long years:

Power Steering Pump
2nd Gear (manual trans.)
Windshield Wiper Motor
Cruise Control
Radio Cassette Player
One Power Window
Air Conditioning Compressor

In those days, GM had a 1 year/12,000 mile warranty, so I paid for quite a bit of this. What a Dog!!! I actually felt guilty selling it. I've never purchased another GM vehicle.
Foxhallow, reading your post brought to mind an '81 (I think) Chevy Citation (as N_Jay says, an Omega X-Car clone) owned by my mother. That dark burgundy dog of a car was so sloppily put together; I don't think I've ever seen cheaper interior materials. Among other mishaps, the rear passenger arm rest came off within 6 months. The Chevy dealer reattached it, but it came loose again a few months later and stayed off. One of the window cranks also came off. The burgundy paint was a disaster from the start; it picked up blemishes and scratches so easily that the first hand wash, even before the first automatic wash, left the car covered in swirl marks.

But the real problem was with the engine. To make a long story short, my mother had taken the Citation to the shop so many times by the start of its third year that, upon receiving yet another $600 bill, she just said #@*&$#% (loosely translated heck with it) and told the repair place to keep it in payment for the bill. (I don't think they were ever able to sell it to anybody; it sat behind the shop for at least a year. I think they used it for parts.)

I assume this all took place before the days of the lemon law in MD. God knows that Citation was one sour piece of citrus!!!

'03 Pilot Starlight Silver EX
~ Towing Package
~ Fog Lights w/ Lower Trim & Garnish
~ Running Boards, Rear Mud Guards
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
~Cargo Area Accessories: Cover * Tray * Organizer * Net
~ Honda Pilot.org Accessories: License Plate Frame * Sticker
post #38 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 11:46 PM

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe
Ziploc's mom's car: re-painted by the dealership , but still sitting around after all these years, unable to sell it.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1981checycitation.jpg (12.1 KB, 522 views)
post #39 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by kemosabe
Ziploc's mom's car: re-painted by the dealership , but still sitting around after all these years, unable to sell it.....
Uggh, Kemosabe, that's the one, alright.

Boy, those X-cars disappeared off the planet quickly, didn't they? It's been rare to see one still on the road for quite some time.

~ Towing Package
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
post #40 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:36 PM

Worst car by far: 1979 Chevy Chevette, with an automatic. Rattled, bog slow, mediocre gas mileage, Trans required front seal by 12K miles, alternator by 25K, brakes by 27K, needed new springs (too much camber for the ball-joint turn to correct) when we dumped it for an 82 Civic.

Ironically, the previous Chevy, a 76 Nova was a workhorse; ran decent at 120K+ miles, but with the late 70's gas mileage concerns, was a bit much to feed.
post #41 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-05-2003, 09:23 AM

My worst ever vehicle was a 1983 Fiat Uno 55S. When I went to pick it up from the dealer, I could barely start it because the timing was so far of of whack. Also the door mirrors were missing! It was not a good car for the damp English climate, because every time there was a hint of rain, the thing refused to start. I sold it when rust started to appear from behind the rear number plate. The dealer had simply drilled holes through the tailgate to attach the number plate and the rusting process would have stated almost immediately. I sold the bloody thing for a 1986 Volvo 240GL Estate.

I heard recently that Fiat is in deep financial trouble. Good.
http://www.itcar.it/cgi-bin/Fiat%20Uno%20Grande.jpg
post #42 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:26 PM

Oh Boy!I get to VENT!

Friends don't let friends buy GM automobiles...

I bought a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z-24 when i was 18. What a pile of $#it that was. It was cute, and had a good sound to it -when it ran. This car only had 45,000 miles on it, and I had to replace the whole fuel line in it after it stranded me on a cross country road trip in Boerne Texas... just about in the desert. When I finally got back to Washington State, the oxygen sensor went out. Okay, so those things were fixed. Then the trim around the windows fell off. Wipers and signals came on and refused to work whenever they felt like it. I know there's more, but my poor friend sat in a big muddy water soaked back seat, because the trunk rusted out and leaked wonderful things into my back seat and carpet. I sold it right away, and still hope I never run into the poor woman. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A DOMESTIC P.O.S.
Then my mom GAVE me her Buick....another wonderful story. But you can guess how it goes.

'03 PILOT *Starlight Silver EX-L*
FormFit Air deflector, Splash Guards, Honda hitch, Honda All Weather Mats, dead pedal cover from wwong, Westin Oval Sidesteps, MICHELIN Cross Terrains
-----------------------------------------
'08 RIDGELINE RTL Formal Black
hitch only so far...
'02 XR50R The cutest honda ever.
post #43 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:44 PM Thread Starter

Re: Oh Boy!I get to VENT!

Quote:
Originally posted by 74PILOTMOM
Friends don't let friends buy GM automobiles...

I bought a 1989 Chevy Cavalier Z-24 when i was 18. What a pile of $#it that was. It was cute, and had a good sound to it -when it ran. This car only had 45,000 miles on it, and I had to replace the whole fuel line in it after it stranded me on a cross country road trip in Boerne Texas... just about in the desert. When I finally got back to Washington State, the oxygen sensor went out. Okay, so those things were fixed. Then the trim around the windows fell off. Wipers and signals came on and refused to work whenever they felt like it. I know there's more, but my poor friend sat in a big muddy water soaked back seat, because the trunk rusted out and leaked wonderful things into my back seat and carpet. I sold it right away, and still hope I never run into the poor woman. NEVER AGAIN WILL I BUY A DOMESTIC P.O.S.
Then my mom GAVE me her Buick....another wonderful story. But you can guess how it goes.
I sympathize, 74PILOTMOM. General Motors put out some true vehicular abominations in the 1980's (case in point: the Chevy Citation I described earlier in this thread).

~ Towing Package
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
post #44 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 06:55 PM

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe
Re: Re: Oh Boy!I get to VENT!

Quote:
Originally posted by Ziploc

I sympathize, 74PILOTMOM. General Motors put out some true vehicular abominations in the 1980's (case in point: the Chevy Citation I described earlier in this thread).
Wow, you two ladies sure had some bad luck with GM vehicles!! I, on the other hand, loved the one and only GM vehicle I've ever owned: my 1989 Camaro IROC-Z with the 5.8L V-8...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg camaro.jpg (64.9 KB, 418 views)
post #45 of 201 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Re: Re: Re: Oh Boy!I get to VENT!

Quote:
Originally posted by kemosabe

Wow, you two ladies sure had some bad luck with GM vehicles!! I, on the other hand, loved the one and only GM vehicle I've ever owned: my 1989 Camaro IROC-Z with the 5.8L V-8...
Sharp-looking vehicle! Is that a relic from your bachelor days?

I'm giving away my age here, but I've actually only owned one GM vehicle myself, which I also loved: a Silver '68 Cutlass Supreme. [Citation belonged to my mother.] Like 74PILOTMOM's Cavalier, it had about 45,000 miles on it when I acquired it, but it saw me through part of my college years and beyond. I just LOVED how its V8 engine let me pull away from the pack in a hurry! Plus, to this day I think the design was really super. Everytime I see a '68 or 69 Cutlass Supreme nowadays, with its HISTORIC license plate, I still admire the car and think back, like Springsteen says, to those Glory Days.......

~ Towing Package
~ All-Weather Mats
~ Wheel Locks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: