What is the WORST car you've ever owned--and Why? - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 08:54 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
1973 Chevrolet Vega....

Need I say more? 1st and last American build car I've ever owned.

Since then, '76 BMW 2002 (a true classic), 1982 Toyota Supra (an okay car for the period), 1990 Honda Civic LX (a true workhorse, went and did everything in it. Gave it to charity at 256,000 miles, still was running great, needed room for the Pilot).

Now, it's the 1991 Legend (wife's former car, now mine, 195,000 miles and still runs great) and the Pilot. Oh yeah, bought a 1974 BMW 2002, think of it as a mid-life toy for me. Strictly a warm weather weekend car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 09:34 PM

1974 Vega.

Transmission gave way at 45,000 miles. Compression gone at 35,000 miles. Last American car for me also. Replaced it with a 1978 Accord. Glad I got $100 trade in at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7th Pilot in Vegas
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'03 Starlight Silver EX-L w/Navi...Rear Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, All-Season Mats, Cargo Cover, Running Board, Wheel Locks, Zaino protection
post #18 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-11-2003, 11:31 PM

Here are the cars I have owned:

1968 - Used Purple Pontiac LeMans 96k miles
Great big boat of a car. No major problems. Sold it!

1975 - Used Orange Honda CVCC 90k miles
I should have kept it. Sold it to buy next car.

1977 - New Brown VW Scirocco 98k miles
The worst car I have owned. Three water pumps, two alternators, points kept pitting and car would break down. Master cyclinder, brake shoes etc etc....still managed to keep it for eleven years.

1989 - New Silverwood Ford Ranger XLT 130k miles
Another dog which I still use to this day. The engine seems ok, but everything else was replaced, including the drive shaft, which broke down on the way to vegas. Oil leaks from everywhere.

BTW, the wife drives the Pilot.

2003 EX Taffeta White

post #19 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:04 AM

Send a message via AIM to catbert
I've had two lemons

1993 Saturn SL2. The best car I'd ever had until it rolled over 50,000 miles. Then a fuel pump went out. Towed it in. New fuel pump (at my expense since the warranty was gone). Drove a month, fuel pump went bad. Towed it in and fixed. A week later, another fuel pump. Repeat this scenario until I've put on 18 new fuel pumps. The also ended up putting in all new hoses, a new gas tank, found out the vehicle wasn't grounded properly and hence, all 93 SL2's weren't grounded properly. Finally, after having a loaner (that Saturn paid for) six months, they figured out the problem. Some little switch was causing the fuel pump to go bad. Same thing happened to my girlfriend's Saturn at around 50k. Even though it was "fixed", I sold that baby as soon as I got it in my hands, before it could tear up again! (I was young, and didn't know a thing about lemon laws...)

Second one was a Chrysler Sebring Convertible, first year of production, which was what I traded my Saturn for. My window wouldn't roll all the way up. They put new motors on it, but it still would only come about an inch from closing. One day in the biggest rain storm I can remember, the arm rest where the window control was got so water logged, that the electrical system went crazy. The window went down all by itself...completely down...and I couldn't get it to roll up at all. I wheeled into my Chrysler dealership and told them about it. They couldn't get the window up either. Water was standing in it. They had to replace the carpet, amplifier, electrical system. I told them I was getting an attorney. They said that if I enacted lemon laws on them, then by law they had one final chance to fix the car, and they would bring in someone from Detroit if they had to so they wouldn't have to lose a lemon law case. Pi**ed me off BIG TIME!! So in the end, they got the window all the way up and I traded the car that day before it could tear up again.

Boy did I feel jinxed for a long time after these two cars.

03 Sandstone Pilot EX-L RES #21989
Delivered 8/28/02
150k+ miles and counting...
sold the Pilot to my parents in early '10 and its still going strong!
I still borrow it for trips having "extra kids" along

09 Acura TL SH-AWD Nav Tech
WOO HOO!
post #20 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:29 AM

1989 Pontiac LeMans

My first car, bought used with 11000 miles, arranged the down payment and TTL by working a night job in a motel. Problems with fuel pump and the injection system. Most of the times the car would die on the highway while driving, it would only start again after three or four cranks. One time in evening rush hour I was stopped at a traffic light, when the fuel pump/injection system malfunctioned and the car started to accelerate by itself. I had to fight the car with the brake pedal, when the light turned green I pulled off the street into a parking lot. I started to pray, thought the darn thing was possesed. I couldn't keep up with the frequent problems with my school work and my job, so I traded the piece of sh&t for a 1987 Chevy Celebrity with 50,000 miles. Five years later, I junked it after I added 140,000 miles.

2003 EX <font color="#948473">Sandstone</font>, Runningboards, Rear Splash Guard, Cargo Organizer, Crossbars
post #21 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 09:37 AM

Hmmmm

Thats a hard one.
Worst because it broke down?
or,
Worst because it broke down more than it should have?

I mean after a 1973 Truiumph GT6Mk3, any car would look good, but since it was a Triumph even this trouble was worth it.

All my "Bad" cars have been company cars, but then, all my American cars (except my 1956 Jeep) have been company cars.

Well there were the Fiat years, but they have a charm all their own.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results.
Sir Winston Churchill
post #22 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:05 AM

Thumbs up

dcchew I have a work friend who still drives his 2002. It's a beautiful car and it's his daily driver. I am a big fan of that car.
post #23 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 10:29 AM

1980 Plymouth Horizon

The mechanicals on this car were fine (engine was based on the VW Rabbit, I recall) but the body was awful, from the initial fit and finish to the first rust hole that developed after 3 winters in the rear wheel well (discovered when rear seat passenger stepped into 3" puddle).

03 Redrock LX traded for 12 Black Cherry EX-L
post #24 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 11:57 AM

lets see.. 1982 ponitiac firebird..2 water pumps, electrical problems, tranny after 45000 miles.. then oil pump failed. dumped that for a 1985 pontiac grand prix..that ran well except a water pump at about 80000 miles..but engine never ran smooth. then there was the 1995 dodge caravan. i liked it but tranny failed at 70k. also the a/c compressor. these were all owned. but since 1992 I have leased 3 Honda Accords and 1 Pilot> They have never seen the inside of a repair shop. Let the evidence speak for itself.

2003 Pilot EX-L RES Starlight Siver, VIN# 05382, Hidden Hitch, Thule 4 bike carrier, All-Weather mats, Cargo Tray (internal), Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, Rear Mud Guards, and Reese Cargo Tray (hitch mount)
post #25 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 01:13 PM

98 GMC Jimmy.. Why? GM never fixed any of the problems that occurred under warranty, they said they fixed them, but it was not the case. Also, they tried to say my front end problems (That were under warranty at the time) were not covered.

Until I threatened to put them in the local paper, THEN was it covered under warranty?! go figure..

I hate that thing..

rob

Always a Honda ( 2003 Havasu Blue EX-L)
Still a Honda
( 2011 Crystal Black Pearl Touring)
post #26 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 01:28 PM

There are those out there that dismiss Consumer Reports. I think they provide valuable information as a starting point, but that each person must still reach their own conclusion based on their individual situation.

CR's reports about incidence of problems by car manufacturer and type are generally good indicators about types of problems associated with types of cars. For example, CR highly rated the Acura Legend when it came out. It was also highly rated as a used car buy in later years... but with a caveat... to be careful of the 5-speeds because of the clutch. I had the 5-speed and yes, I had the clutch problems. Great car overall... but that was the problem I had with it, and it coincided with the evidence CR had gathered. Many other people I've spoken with are in general agreement with problem areas reported for their cars.

But as far as a new car "buy" recommendation, you have to make up your mind based on how you weigh the various considerations. CR has rated the Passat as the top family car for the past several years, and historically CR has been pretty hard on VW. However, if you look at the aggregate CR report on problems by manufacturer, VW is almost at the bottom of the list, with an extremely high problem incidence. And the fact that the top 6 manufacturers, in terms of reliability, are ALL Japanese, is certainly "statistically significant". (in order: Acura, Toyota, Lexus, Honda, Mazda, and Subaru; with Nissan immediately following Saab, the only non-Japanese make in the top 8). Of course, that "double dips" Toyota and Honda, but it also shows they have successfully replicated sound engineering, design, and manufacturing processes into new lines and plants.
post #27 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 02:54 PM

For me, 1995 Nissan 4x4 Pickup 4cyl, new. At 5000 miles, 2 shocks leaking and dead. Around 7000 miles I had two tires blow out that were properly inflated. The body cavities around the the king-cab all collected large amounts of water that slished & sloshed as I drove. During the 20K miles I had it, the engine would randomly start tapping and clanking excessively like it was out of oil even though it always had oil. Then, to top it off, I could never get better than 12 mpg city and 15 mpg highway with this gutless 4 cyl.

I traded it in for a Ford F-250 which presented a new set of problems. At least the Ford dealer was willing to fix the long list of problems, which was more than I could say about the Nissan dealer. Plus, the Ford got a little better MPG and the Triton V8 had much more power.
post #28 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 03:00 PM

Kemosabe!

I think I broke a rib laughing at your response!

Well done!

PILOTinginCO
Sagebrush Pearl-EX
Parker, CO
post #29 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 03:09 PM

2003 Honda Pilot...

Won't start. Window makes scrunching sound. Too much freeplay in the driver's seat. Gas tank goes "thunk". Leather seats are sagging.

Nah, I'm kidding... don't flame me. I don't have the pleasure yet. Maybe soon, maybe '04. Maybe I'm holding out for FLA_GUY.
post #30 of 201 (permalink) Old 03-12-2003, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bigrob
2003 Honda Pilot...

Won't start. Window makes scrunching sound. Too much freeplay in the driver's seat. Gas tank goes "thunk". Leather seats are sagging.

Nah, I'm kidding... don't flame me. I don't have the pleasure yet. Maybe soon, maybe '04. Maybe I'm holding out for FLA_GUY.
U had me going there for a minute!!

2003 Pilot EX-L RES Starlight Siver, VIN# 05382, Hidden Hitch, Thule 4 bike carrier, All-Weather mats, Cargo Tray (internal), Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, Rear Mud Guards, and Reese Cargo Tray (hitch mount)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: