Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Tsb-13-082

28K views 25 replies 20 participants last post by  Leith 
#1 ·
Had a major problem with my 2010 Honda Pilot. Basically it started to misfire and run like crap. Got the TSB that is coming out this month that will cover the piston rings for cylinders 1 through 4.

"The piston rings on certain cylinders may rotate and align which can lead to spark plug fouling. This can set DTCs P0301 through P0304 and cause the MIL to come on"

The are extending the warranty 8 years with unlimited milage from original date of purchase for issues related to this.

There was a class action suit "Soto et al v. American Honda Co. and information will be forthcoming at www.enginemisfiresettlement.com, web site not up yet. You can also call 888-888-3082 for info but very little info available.
I will try to get the TSB scanned and put up.

#5 · (Edited)
I wonder how many Honda's will be involved, since they are ruling on 2008 through 2010 Honda Accords.

"Eagen and fellow named plaintiff Alex Soto have accused Honda of refusing to honor warranties for defective Honda Accords that quickly run out of oil and require frequent spark plug replacements. Accords from model years 2008, 2009 and 2010 have a design defect that allows oil to enter the engine's combustion chamber and cause excessive oil consumption, premature corrosion of spark plugs and engine malfunction, according to the suit."

"Eagen has needed to replenish his car with a quart of oil each month, while his spark plugs had to be replaced twice within 55,000 miles of driving because they were prematurely corroded, according to the suit."

From: Honda Can't Seek Arbitration In Defect Suit, Judge Rules - Law360

#6 ·
For me the "pop" or "pssstt" sound happened twice yesterday and once this morning on way home from dropping my son off to school. Has been present since I bought the car, never brought it up to the service dept. mainly because I thought it was an AC related noise from the eng compartment with split second hesitation that goes along with it. Now wondering if it may be a misfire, so I'll have to watch this and hope my piston rings aren't rotating. Wish I had purchased the the extended Warranty. SID, I'm curious what's your mileage, and did you ever hear the noise I've described that may very well be a misfire?

#14 ·
I know this is an old thread, but I looked around the boards here and couldn't find anyone that had posted TSB 13-082. A customer of mine had to have this done and sent it to me to post on here, so here it is for those of you that want to see it.

Attachments

#18 ·
Unbelievable! I just bought a 2011 Honda Pilot and found out about these serious VCM issues. The parts guy at Honda mentioned that the PCV valve was due for replacement so I did that today. I pulled the old PCV plug and the top broke off. When I got it out, it was FULL of oil!

So I read through the TSB pdf that verbatim posted. Is this still current? If so, I simply cannot believe that Honda's fix is to swap the spark plugs (30 min job) then wait for the problem to come back again before they fix the root cause! "Piston cleaning and piston ring replacement along with the spark plugs, should be only be done after the customer has returned with a second failure." What?! That's the ~9hr job and when they actually clean the oil out of places that it shouldn't be?! I'm baffled by Honda on this one... :confused:

#15 ·
I've had the first part of this done a while back. Did not have to go to the next step with rings and piston cleaning. Good to know I have 2 yrs left (3 if they go by model year vs purchase yr)

G
#16 ·
Has anyone had the full TSB performed? My wife's 2012 had the full job done and we were wondering if anyone has had it done and if there were any issues after the TSB was performed. Looking at longevity issues or problems with engine. Thanks in advance.

#19 ·
My lights all came in this week, 2012 touring, 130,000km. Stealership tells me that cylinder 5 and 6 are misfiring and they want to change the plugs and do a valve adjustment. Charging me $800. I'm having them do the timing belt and water pump at the same time for $1700 total. That said, I just came across this TSB. Is it still valid? My truck falls right into the years impacted. Should I just show the tsb to my dealer? Why the heck wouldn't he tell me about the tsb. Not happy...

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
It has to fall into the years and VIN numbers, from what I understand. If it falls into it then absolutely, your dealer should have informed you. Your vehicle is covered under the extended warranty for misfires.

The reason they do not do the full fix on the first complaint is to save money. If the ECU reprogram and new plugs does the trick, they save the ring job. Not saying it's right, but that's the logic.

#21 ·
So the dealer told me that valve 1-4 are covered, but the codes were regarding 5 and 6 so it's not covered under the tsb. I'm wondering, I used seafoam in my fuel a few times over the past 2 years, could it be the cause? Would a valve adjustment fix that if so?

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

#22 ·
I just got all 4 cylinders done, and paid out of pocket to do the other 2 at the same time.
I had the car back 2 days, and the check engine, check emissions, and vtm-4 lights all came back on today. This was my original symptom too. Today, though, I felt some vibration before the lights kicked on.
I am extremely non-plussed that they didn't figure stuff out, after having done so many of these by now...

#23 ·
2011 Pilot with 73k miles repeat issues as well

So I have a 2011 pilot with 73k miles.

Dec'17: Misfire, Emissions lights, all flashing. In the manual it said emissions lights can be from fuel cap, so I replaced that and went on my way.

Jan'18: 2nd occurrence: I went to stealership and they found codes for 3 spark plugs. 01, 03, 04. But they refused to replace the boot seals and said that was why there was misfires it was due to boot seal leakage. I left a nasty review of the dealership for not addressing warranty concerns, the manager called me back and they ended up doing the boot seals as well.

March'18, I had a repeat occurrence of loss of power, and what felt like a misfire. The car sputtered home for about a mile and had no punch at all. I took the car in again and they said they were unable to get a code this time, no warranty work could be done. I missed the call, but then they called back in a couple hours and said they were able to get a code, so they went ahead and replaced all spark plugs and boot seals again and I did confirm this was the same boot seals they replaced before.

My extended warranty is only good through June'18. I've had at least 3 different cases here, but it doesn't look like they are following the TSB if they didn't do the ring job the 2nd time I brought it in. I'm going to call them and get them to tell me the codes they pulled each time.

My question to the forum is how many of you have continued to have problems after spark plugs and possibly seals were replaced. And if you had the re-ring job, how many of you had problems after that? Other than this misfire issue we really like the car and would like to own it another 5 years at least before selling, but if I am at risk for major repair I will sell before my warranty expires.

#24 ·
Were you able to resolve your issue? I am having the same symptoms on my 2012 Touring. Vehicle shook, run rough, then Check engine light came on, followed by VTM-4 light and check VSM light. I drove the hobbled vehicle to the honda dealership. Next day they told me transmission oil switch so they went ahead and changed it. Car run ok for 2 days (about 50 miles), then wife was driving to work and same thing happened again. I am taking the car back to the dealership on Monday, so any help on how you fixed yours will be very much appreciated. Appears the dealership mechanics are incompetent at diagnosis, or intentionally screwing me up.

#25 ·
I know it sounds stupid but what about the 2014 / 2015 series did they resolve this ? Or was it just not found in these models as much?

Reactions: Johnnyh64
#26 ·
I have a 2010 Pilot Touring. I am just now having this problem. The website is shut down and I have called the dealer with no response. AT this point my mechanic has replaced the spark plugs for me. What I am trying to understand is if I don't get the rings fixed and just do the spark plugs, is the repair just "duct taped" and will I have a serious issue later. Or just more of the same thing?

I can't even find a place to type in my VIN to see if my car was included. I realize I am past the 8 year timeframe but was hoping I could get Honda to do the repair for me. Any thoughts on that???

THank you!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.