Tsb #105 -- P0325, Knock Sensor Harness Rodent Damage - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-07-2008, 10:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Tsb #105 -- P0325, Knock Sensor Harness Rodent Damage

Our 2004 Pilot was recently treated with the check engine VTM-4 combination; but, it wasn't related to the EGR valve. This is absurd - I have seen posts elsewhere regarding various wiring harnesses being made from soy products attracting rodents. There is a TSB associated with the knock sensor wiring harness in that it commonly attracts rodent damage. It's a $350 repair with the identical part (wouldn't it make sense to replace it with a part that rodents were not attracted to??) and nothing is covered by warranty. I'm not impressed, considering that I may be back again each time with a $350 charge for the same damage.
jamiencontonio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2008, 11:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Tsb #105 -- P0325, Knock Sensor Harness Rodent Damage

Quote:
Originally posted by jamiencontonio
Our 2004 Pilot was recently treated with the check engine VTM-4 combination; but, it wasn't related to the EGR valve. This is absurd - I have seen posts elsewhere regarding various wiring harnesses being made from soy products attracting rodents. There is a TSB associated with the knock sensor wiring harness in that it commonly attracts rodent damage. It's a $350 repair with the identical part (wouldn't it make sense to replace it with a part that rodents were not attracted to??) and nothing is covered by warranty. I'm not impressed, considering that I may be back again each time with a $350 charge for the same damage.
Animal damage is usually covered under your comprehensive insurance.

There are thousands of pilots not having issues so why would you think this is a "defect"?

As we raise the attention to our environment little issues like this are bound to pop up.

Also, everyone seem to be connecting the Check Engine and VTM light combination to the EGR.
I am fairly sure that any misfire that puts vibrations into the drive line are likely to trip lights.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah - it's a fine line between "defect" and "dumb design". I am a scuba diver so here's an analogy: I buy a scuba tank that just happens to attract giant squid. 99% of scuba divers don't dive near giant squid but 1% do and some of those end up getting wrapped in the tentacles and the squid eat the tank and leave you to rise to the surface and not be able to dive until you buy a new one. The manufacturer realizes they made a mistake and make an announcement but still make the tank out of the same material and just tell you to try and stay away from giant squid and send you a link to a website that teaches you how to fight off attacks from giant squid. It still doesn't give you a lot of faith in the product and satisfaction with the service.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the info on comprehensive insurance - I'll look into it.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
I buy a scuba tank that just happens to attract giant squid.
Good thing the Pilot doesn't attract giant squid! That would be a tough one to explain to the insurance adjuster.
Shindig78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 04:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

Default Re: Tsb #105 -- P0325, Knock Sensor Harness Rodent Damage

Quote:
My neighbours purchased a 2004 Pilot about 4 years ago. They had it for about 2 months when they the same light combination as you had. I had a look, didn't see anything obviously wrong, and said take it to the dealer.

The dealer said some type of rodent knawed through a wire harness. It seemed pretty hard to believe at the time as I've never heard of this type of thing happening.

Is there really something in the wiring or harness that attracts rodents?
Read Mud Guards
Cross Rails
Chrome Side Steps
USA Spec iPod Adapter
AW Floor Mats
Rear Cargo Liner
Interior Wood Trim
WW Interior Pads
Full Sound Proofing
Polk DB650 Front Speakers
Extended Warranty
Paint/Fabric/Undercoat Protection
Michelin Latittude
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 05:44 AM   #7 (permalink)

Default Tasty Wires

http://www.tastywires.com/
Old 07-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

I live in an urban envirement not counrty. Years ago I pulled the hood of my Nissan Pathfinder and found that rodent had eaten most of the insulation from all of the wires in a large wiring harness. None of the bare wires were touching and the truck ran fine.

There is something about wires that mice love.

Eclipse AVN-6610 Nav w Backup Camera
Sirius Satellite Radio XM Direct2 Satellite Radio Infinity 6012i Speakers
Alternate Front Grill
GlennD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Yes - it's the mouse food they integrate into the insulation.
Old 05-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

We're having the same issue. Throwing P0325 and the VTM4 light is on. Open the hood look around and am finding chewed up acorns. I can't locate the knock sensor harness though, where exactly is it?
hot pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:06 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hot pockets View Post
We're having the same issue. Throwing P0325 and the VTM4 light is on. Open the hood look around and am finding chewed up acorns. I can't locate the knock sensor harness though, where exactly is it?
Sure enough it was the knock sensor wire that was chewed off. It seems there is a nice little area for chipmunks to nest right under the manifold as there were plenty of chewed up acorns under it. Not a bad repair, you need to remove the manifold and unseat the injector rail to access the knock sensor. The new wire is wrapped in gray tape that must be made up of something to deter rodents. It's gray tape with a mouse on it that has an "X" through it. I also found this Repels All Animal Repellent Quart Concentrate and sprayed it in the wheel wells and under hood. About a 2 hour job for a weekend wrench.

tags: knock sensor repair p0325 honda pilot 03 04 05 06 harness chewed

Last edited by hot pockets; 06-03-2011 at 03:55 PM.
hot pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm getting the same code. What gaskets do I need to do the repair and where do I get the new wire? Thanks
rshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: