Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Oil filter wrench, drain plug size

31K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  sjlee 
#1 ·
Does it really take a special wrench? What is everyone using?

Oil drain plug size?

If I am at 10%, but will be going on a 900 mile round trip, shold I go ahead and change or wait till I get back, knowing that it will go to 5% before I even get there?

#2 ·
I bought the Honda sized filter cap from an online vendor that also sell Honda filters as well as other items. As for the drain bolt, I believe it takes a simple 17mm box end wrench. Nothing special there.

#3 ·
moda_way said:
I bought the Honda sized filter cap from an online vendor that also sell Honda filters as well as other items. As for the drain bolt, I believe it takes a simple 17mm box end wrench. Nothing special there.
I tried the fram cap that fit good on the fram filter at wal-mart, then tried on factory one, it slipped since it is so tight.

#5 ·
Hey i just did my 1st self oil change on my 09 Touring. I put in a Fram oil filter and Full Synthetic Mobil motor oil in it, not really by purpose, but is that ok? Cause i've heard ppl say not to put synthetic and then switch back. (Not saying im gonna switch back but just the fact that its synthetic) Any words?

#7 ·
quasarba said:
Does it really take a special wrench? What is everyone using?

Oil drain plug size?

If I am at 10%, but will be going on a 900 mile round trip, shold I go ahead and change or wait till I get back, knowing that it will go to 5% before I even get there?
No, it doesn't really take a special wrench. I don't use a wrench at all if I've changed the oil filter last, as I can remove it by hand. If the dealer does the oil change, I use a strap wrench to get it off as they really crank it on.

I've changed the oil on the Pilot multiple times, but each time I never look at the socket size I use. I end up trying a few different ones before I get the right one. You'd think that I'd try to remember it after I find the right one. :D

You probably could go on the trip without changing the oil ahead of time, but why bother? Honda recommends changing the oil anytime after 15%.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.