Door Ding on a Rental Car - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-24-2005, 05:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Door Ding on a Rental Car

Have you ever gotten a door ding on a rental car? I rented a white Neon for one day. I picked it up at 11PM. Did a once over to make sure the Neon had no body damage. When I returned the Neon the next day, somehow a little door ding showed up on the passenger side. I signed a statement indicating that I picked up the Neon late at night and probably missed seeing the ding when I inspected it. Two weeks later I get a bill for approximately $100 (includes a $25 administrative fee) because Dollar Rent A Car had the door repaired. Note that I did not buy their insurance. What would you do in my shoes? Protest the payment? Pay it and next time buy their insurance? Pay it and never use Dollar again? Other alternatives?
2003 Honda Pilot EXL-NAV, Starlight Silver, #86733 "Featured Pilot March 2004"
EXTERIOR-Perfect Fit Hood Guard, Lower Trim, Lower Trim Garnish, Bumper Garnish, Fog Lights with Eurodezigns H3 bulbs, Wheel Locks, Fender Flares, Crossbars, Door Mirror Covers, Vent Visors, Running Boards, Rear Splash Guards, Trailer Hitch, Pilot #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips, Euro Dezigns H4 replacing Sylvania Silverstars, Tire Minders, EX emblem, Third Brake Light Decal, Michelin CT, Chrome OEM Wheels, Muth Signal Mirrors, Sylvania #885 Back Up Lights
INTERIOR-Wooden Shift Lever, Wood Grain Interior Trim, All Weather Mats, Cargo Cover, Cargo Organizer, Cargo Tray, Cargo Liner, Trunk Organizer, Broadway Optics Mirror, Raybrig R130
ELECTRONICS-Networkcar, Power Inverter, Nav DVD upgrade V.2.11C, Rear View Camera
CUSTOM ACCESSORIES- Door Edge Guard, Foam Pads for Center Console and 2nd Row Activity Tray, Foam Pads for Doors and 3rd Row Bins and Cupholders, Dead Pedal Cover, Cargo Storage Pad, Padded Glove Box, Sunglass Holder Pad, Pillar Protection Tape, Fog Light Covers, Door Reflectors, Cargo Liner Velcro Replacement Kit, Chrome h-p License Plate Frame, VTM-4 emblem, Chrome Accent for the OEM Lower Trim, Chrome Accent for the OEM Running Boards, Chrome Grille Accent, Navi Screen Protector, Non-Slip Pad for the OEM Cargo Tray, hp.org sticker and tee

wwong is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 05:47 PM   #2 (permalink)

Did they point out the ding to you when you returned the car? If they did not how do they know it happened when you had possession of the car? Refuse to pay for it.
1984 Honda Dark Blue Goldwing Interstate
alexct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 05:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Did they point out the ding to you when you returned the car?

Yes.
EXTERIOR-Perfect Fit Hood Guard, Lower Trim, Lower Trim Garnish, Bumper Garnish, Fog Lights with Eurodezigns H3 bulbs, Wheel Locks, Fender Flares, Crossbars, Door Mirror Covers, Vent Visors, Running Boards, Rear Splash Guards, Trailer Hitch, Pilot #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips, Euro Dezigns H4 replacing Sylvania Silverstars, Tire Minders, EX emblem, Third Brake Light Decal, Michelin CT, Chrome OEM Wheels, Muth Signal Mirrors, Sylvania #885 Back Up Lights
INTERIOR-Wooden Shift Lever, Wood Grain Interior Trim, All Weather Mats, Cargo Cover, Cargo Organizer, Cargo Tray, Cargo Liner, Trunk Organizer, Broadway Optics Mirror, Raybrig R130
ELECTRONICS-Networkcar, Power Inverter, Nav DVD upgrade V.2.11C, Rear View Camera
CUSTOM ACCESSORIES- Door Edge Guard, Foam Pads for Center Console and 2nd Row Activity Tray, Foam Pads for Doors and 3rd Row Bins and Cupholders, Dead Pedal Cover, Cargo Storage Pad, Padded Glove Box, Sunglass Holder Pad, Pillar Protection Tape, Fog Light Covers, Door Reflectors, Cargo Liner Velcro Replacement Kit, Chrome h-p License Plate Frame, VTM-4 emblem, Chrome Accent for the OEM Lower Trim, Chrome Accent for the OEM Running Boards, Chrome Grille Accent, Navi Screen Protector, Non-Slip Pad for the OEM Cargo Tray, hp.org sticker and tee

Old 10-24-2005, 05:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Does your insurance cover it?
1984 Honda Dark Blue Goldwing Interstate
alexct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 06:04 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Don't know. I have not reported it to my insurance.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Did they go over the car with you, and give you a sheet showing existing damage when you picked up the car?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wwong

Don't know. I have not reported it to my insurance.
It's not worth getting them involved over a $100 dispute, unfortunately.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:49 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Did they go over the car with you, and give you a sheet showing existing damage when you picked up the car?

Yes. I signed it indicating there was no damage when I picked it up.

Old 10-24-2005, 07:19 PM   #9 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:

Yes. I signed it indicating there was no damage when I picked it up.
I think you're out of luck. I'd pay it, and scratch Dollar off the list.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

Wwong, what is the size of the door ding? It would be hard to see if it was small even you inspected the car.
il38694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 07:53 PM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Door Ding on a Rental Car

Quote:
Have you ever gotten a door ding on a rental car? I rented a white Neon for one day. I picked it up at 11PM. Did a once over to make sure the Neon had no body damage. When I returned the Neon the next day, somehow a little door ding showed up on the passenger side. I signed a statement indicating that I picked up the Neon late at night and probably missed seeing the ding when I inspected it. Two weeks later I get a bill for approximately $100 (includes a $25 administrative fee) because Dollar Rent A Car had the door repaired. Note that I did not buy their insurance. What would you do in my shoes? Protest the payment? Pay it and next time buy their insurance? Pay it and never use Dollar again? Other alternatives?
What kind of credit card did you use to pay for the rental? Some of the higher-end cards have a 'insurance' type of coverage for the rental if you pay for the rental car using the credit card. Check your cardholder agreement (or disclosures of features and benefits on the bank's web site).

Also, if you rented it with most corporate cards, or under a corporate master agreement, that type of damage is typically also covered...
dgipalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 08:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

Default This may not be entirely ethical...

But I rent a lot of cars for business purposes and I ALWAYS put down a TON of stuff on the damage sheet they give me before I check the car out. I write down lots of non-descript stuff like "minor damage, front quarter panel" or "scratches on hood", or "stains, rear seating area", but I make sure and do it on all the major areas of the car. They almost never look at it when I drive off the lot and hand it to the checkout person, but it has saved my ass on more than one occasion.

YMMV
Singing Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2005, 09:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Door Ding on a Rental Car

Quote:
Have you ever gotten a door ding on a rental car? I rented a white Neon for one day. I picked it up at 11PM. Did a once over to make sure the Neon had no body damage. When I returned the Neon the next day, somehow a little door ding showed up on the passenger side.
Same thing happen to me with Enterprise, but I just happen to purchase the insurance (got a special rate which included the insurance).

If you do not purchase the insurance then they can bill you for the following:

a) towing costs if towing was required.
b) cost of the repair
c) lost of use (the day rate is usually based on the original contract)
d) admin fees

I know my insurance does not cover (c) and (d), but, some credit cards (e.g., American Express) will cover reasonable expeneses related to (c) and (d). However, most credit cards provide this coverage as secondary insurance which means you would have to file a claim with your primary insurance first.

About the only way to fight the claim is to ask to see all previous rental agreements for the car, and see if anyone reported the ding. For $100, it probably is not worth the hassle.
ictvuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2005, 09:18 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Thanks for everyone's comments. I'm going to try and fight this. Gotta listen to the wife.

Old 10-25-2005, 09:44 AM   #15 (permalink)
iglesias is my evil twin

For $100 I'd just leave it be.

You should hear what happened to our Dollar Rent-a-Car.
shellebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: