Rental Companies That Rent A Pilot. - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 03-19-2004, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Rental Companies That Rent A Pilot.

Hello All;

Does anyone out there know of a rental company that rents out Honda Pilots. I am interested in purchasing a Honda Pilot or a
Hyundai Santa Fe or a Toyota Highlander or a Dodge Durango. I would like to rent one out for a weekend trip to see how accommodating the vehicle is for our family of 4.

Thanks.
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2004, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

You might try Enterprise. They often have a non-standard variety of vehicles. Last time I rented from them, I got an Accord.

Jim in Texas
04 LX
bluto408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 06:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
'da Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ramirami

check with honda dealers...

2005 Blue Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0

2011 Black Audi Q5 2.0T
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 08:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was told by Honda America two weeks ago that Honda Pilots are never put into rental fleets. If you do find one , let us know.
blackjackdelta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 02:38 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Rental Companies That Rent A Pilot.

Quote:
Originally posted by XPhile
Hello All;

Does anyone out there know of a rental company that rents out Honda Pilots. I am interested in purchasing a Honda Pilot
Yeah, that's the one you should buy.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:09 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

that's why you have test drives so you can fairly check each vehicle.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 08:21 PM   #7 (permalink)
EDR

Default Overnight Test Drive

You might want to consider a dealership that offers overnight test drives. These offer you to keep the car overnight (presumably, you must give them a hefty deposit) and test it out as if you own it. This is much cheaper (even free, because you might get your deposit back) than renting a Pilot.

Enjoy car shopping!

EDR
All Season floor mats
Gold Emblem package
Front & Rear mud guards
Picture on front page from 10/16/03 to 11/16/03
EDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 04:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Hello All;

I am back from a weekend rental from Thrifty, of a 2004 flame red Dodge Durango SLT. This is my first experience in driving a SUV and I have some questions about it in comparison to a Honda Pilot, which I would also like to rent before I purchase a new SUV.

The first thing I noticed is the entry into the Durango. You need to be very flexible to enter the vehicle because the distance between the ground and the inside of the vehicle is a very big stretch. Something like getting into a truck. I believe a side step on a Durango is standard. Is a side step standard in a Pilot? Can you easily get in and out of a Pilot without the side step?

Once inside I found the seats adequate but not great, especially for long trips, not enough support. How are the front seats in a Pilot? The other rows had no adjustments to move the seat forward or back. Can this be done in a Pilot and can the seats be totally removed?

I liked the Radio/CD player, which could hold 6 CD's and play MP3 files. How many CD's can the Pilot hold and can the CD player play MP3's?

The instrument cluster was quite plain with a tach and fuel gauge and trip odometer. Does the Pilot have a trip odometer?

Since it was fairly nice out on Saturday I decided to open the window in the back passenger side all the way down. That was a mistake! A whomping sound was heard. Hurt the ears. Is this feature included in a Pilot?

The gas mileage wasn't the best. I was getting 19 miles/12Km on the highway. Is this the common rate or does the Pilot get something better since the engine is smaller?

That's about it. I will try and get a Pilot for a weekend and do another update.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

Hello All;

I am back from a weekend rental from Thrifty, of a 2004 flame red Dodge Durango SLT. This is my first experience in driving a SUV and I have some questions about it in comparison to a Honda Pilot, which I would also like to rent before I purchase a new SUV.

The first thing I noticed is the entry into the Durango. You need to be very flexible to enter the vehicle because the distance between the ground and the inside of the vehicle is a very big stretch. Something like getting into a truck. I believe a side step on a Durango is standard. Is a side step standard in a Pilot? Can you easily get in and out of a Pilot without the side step?

Once inside I found the seats adequate but not great, especially for long trips, not enough support. How are the front seats in a Pilot? The other rows had no adjustments to move the seat forward or back. Can this be done in a Pilot and can the seats be totally removed?

I liked the Radio/CD player, which could hold 6 CD's and play MP3 files. How many CD's can the Pilot hold and can the CD player play MP3's?

The instrument cluster was quite plain with a tach and fuel gauge and trip odometer. Does the Pilot have a trip odometer?

Since it was fairly nice out on Saturday I decided to open the window in the back passenger side all the way down. That was a mistake! A whomping sound was heard. Hurt the ears. Is this feature included in a Pilot?

The gas mileage wasn't the best. I was getting 19 miles/12Km on the highway. Is this the common rate or does the Pilot get something better since the engine is smaller?

That's about it. I will try and get a Pilot for a weekend and do another update.
Old 04-19-2004, 04:54 PM   #10 (permalink)
Art
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Art

You can easily get in and out of the Pilot without sidesteps. Many people (including me) install them to make it easier for kids to get in and out, and for looks. The 2004 Pilot has second row adjustable seat. Has 2 trip odometers and an outside temp gauge (believe EX only, maybe I am wrong). At 6' 6", I find the front seats comfortable with enough support. In dash CD player holds 1 disc. That can be upgraded to 6. Not sure on the MP3 player....I love my Pilot....

Former vehicle:'03 Pilot- Nighthawk Black Pearl EX-L
All-Season Mats- DIY-Lund Air Deflector, Rear Splash Guards,Side Steps, Wood Dash Kit, Fog Lights, wheel locks, crossbars, Sirius Orbiter, Many wwong items

Wife:07 Accord LX- Alabaster Silver Metallic w/black interior

'49 Chevy Styline Deluxe sedan(My toy)
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 05:06 PM   #11 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Please please please don't get a Dodge. It was so shiny and new....the features were great.....it was going to be perfect, not like all the other Dodge's dead on the side of the road......

Until I got it home. My Grand Caravan was the mini van from.....I won't say hell, because it could never have driven that far without breaking down pn the way.

I honestly was in the shop nearly weekly. The extended warranty I purchased paid for itself within the first week of coming out of the 3/36 bumper to bumper. Anything that they had ever seen go wrong went wrong, as well as many firsts.

I just knew my car wouldn't be like the other Dodges. I would take car of it. I would baby it, and in return it would be the perfect family car. No amount of babying that thing could have ever have gotten it out of the nursery. It was an intensive care case, a problem from day one.

Yes, the Durango isn't the van, but simply by being associated with Dodge, I'd steer very far clear of that dealership on my way to an import lot.
my3kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 06:02 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by XPhile
Hello All;

1) The pilot is lower to the ground a little easier to get in, however for childrens sake, the side steps would be a good idea.

2) The second row can be adjusted for and aft, but not the third row. THe 3rd row dissapears into the cargo floor, the second row does also, but does give a pronounced hill and is not perfectly flat. No rows of seats remove, just fold. AS far as support, that is your body comfort, but as I can say they are more then comfortable for a 1-2 hour drive.

3) Factory radio can hold 1 CD, and does not play mp3. There is an optional 6 disc changer that goes under the driver/passenger seat, but it also does not play mp3.

4) Same plain jane instruments, the pilot has 2 trip odometers and a temperature, tach, spedo, fuel and water temp.

5) I noticed the wind buffeting (your window bonus) when rolling down just one front window, I have yet to roll down just one rear window, but i suspect the pilot also has this feature, which most cars do also, it's a aerodynamics issue.

6) The pilot is rated 17/22 city/highway, I've gotten better then 22mpg on the highway, but not much over 25mpg. All SUVs, Trucks and some minivans have the aerodynamics of a big square brick, it takes alot of power to overcome the wind resistance. Keep this in mind as you shop for the Pilot/SUVs.

I wish you luck in your endevor for the weekend rental. The pilot is in high demand, unless you dealer has a factory demo unit, I don't think you're likely to get a rental either. But please prove me wrong, I'd like the idea of try before you buy and wish honda would actively support the 24hour test drive.

04 Pilot SBP - Tow Package, Rear Muds, Fog Lights, Cargo Mat (Traded)

Claire & Victoria - Double Trouble
PNW-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 07:44 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Funny, I just returned from a five day trip with my family. We rented a 2003 Durango. (Previous Model, 2004 is redesigned, but some of this may apply)

I'll admit the V8 was a bit of a novelty at first, but after a few hours of highway driving I can do without the droan of that exhaust note. The V8 was not overly powerful, either. Not nearly as punchy off the line as my Pilot! My sister-in-law raced me at a stoplight in her rental Mercury Sable. She won by 1/2 car length!!! So much for the V8!!!

I felt the driver's seat was soft, and lacked support. My kids commented that the third row seat was "squishier" than the one in the Pilot. They didn't like it. We traveled most of the way with four people, but sometimes as many as six. It was "fine".

The controls and switchgear had a cheap feeling to them. The knobs and switches were not laid out as intuitively as my Pilot.

The view from the driver's seat felt confined. The windshield of the Durango is very small, and that big squared-off hood further reduces the view of the road. The view in our Pilot felt panoramic in comparison once we got home. The center console is very narrow, and the storage bin very small.

The fog lights were worthless. They didn't illuminate very far at all. I LOVE my foglights on the Pilot!

This Durango had 22K miles on it, and was rattle free. It was a "Fine" SUV for our little vacation. It rides like a truck. Rough. Even on the highway, it lacked the smoothness I've come to expect from the Pilot.

My Pilot has nearly 36K miles on the odometer, 14K more than the rental Durango. It's still the better vehicle for me.

My two cents................

2003 Pilot EX Evergreen Pearl (Traded In)

2005 F250 Crew Cab Lariat Powerstroke 4x4

2000 Jeep Wrangler SE
a2Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 10:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by a2Pilot
Funny, I just returned from a five day trip with my family. We rented a 2003 Durango.

I'll admit the V8 was a bit of a novelty at first, but after a few hours of highway driving I can do without the droan of that exhaust note. The V8 was not overly powerful, either. ...

My two cents................
Keep in mind that the new Durango bears no relationship to the '03 - it's a substantial re-do in all respects. The DC 4.7 is somewhat lame; the 5.6 Hemi is the way to go for the power trip, and it won't be much more of a gas hog than the lame 4.7.

That said, neither engine will give gas mileage within 30% of the Pilot. But, both (especially the 5.6) will do better towing; the Hemi is rated for > 8000#.

And given DC quality rep (from top to bottom; look at how Mercedes is among the worst of the high-end cars in all the Powers and CR surveys) , no way I'd cough up my money for one of their first-year products.
dgipalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 08:03 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dgipalo

Keep in mind that the new Durango bears no relationship to the '03 - it's a substantial re-do in all respects.
True, 2004 is a re-design. I offer my opinion of the '03 knowing that some aspects of the vehicle will remain the same. It's still a Dodge...

I guess my main point is that the Durango was fun to drive for the first day or so, then the V8 thrill wore off. After that the Durango was "fine". It drove fine. It did the job. Then the little things started to bug me. The Durango lacked the level of refinement found in the Pilot.

I've been driving my Pilot for nearly two years, and still find fun and thrills on a regular basis. FEEL that VTEC kick in!! Woooo Hoooo!! The Pilot is just plain fun to drive! Even two years later!!

2003 Pilot EX Evergreen Pearl (Traded In)

2005 F250 Crew Cab Lariat Powerstroke 4x4

2000 Jeep Wrangler SE
a2Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: