Car wash /rear wiper mishap - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-12-2003, 11:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Unhappy Car wash /rear wiper mishap

Took the Pilot to to a touchless car wash last week. It was the first time I had been to this particular car wash as I was about 25 miles from my home. My regular car wash was too busy when I tried earlier in the day.

Wanted the Pilot clean and shiny as I was taking friends for dinner. After leaving the car wash and heading to friends I notice that my rear wiper blade is missing. I head back to the car wash to file a complaint. Car wash takes my info and tells me they will contact Honda. A Honda dealership is less than 1/2 mile away but the parts dept. is closed. i wasn't convinced the car wash was going to take care of the wiper even though they had me fill out a form for a claim.

First thing Monday morning I call the Honda dealer and tell them I need a new rear wiper-- the "snap in insert and rubber blade". Parts guys says ---they don't sell the "snap in insert and rubber blade" --you have to buy the whole arm to the tune of $32.00 And no one in the city of Houston stocked this part so they were going to have to order it.

I had the dealer order one for me as I had little hope the car wash was going to take care of this. I called the car wash everyday for about 3 days just to let them know that I wasn't going away. About a week later the car wash called----- had my wiper! Cancelled my order!

I'll be sure to go back to my regular car wash in the future as they always tape my rear wiper.
Cargo organizer,
All weather mats
jtvicknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2003, 09:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Car wash /rear wiper mishap

Quote:
Originally posted by jtvicknair

I'll be sure to go back to my regular car wash in the future as they always tape my rear wiper.
Thanks for the heads up post. Why is it necessary to tape the rear wiper... besides the obvious... to keep this from happening.
Note: If you want to be sure I see a post either quote a message from me or put - florida_guy - somewhere in the body of the post so it shows up when I search. I am trying to stay active without spending too much time here.

'03 Pilot EX Sandstone Metallic

Options:
Cargo Cover
OEM Hitch
StreetPilot 2610
Sportsworks Transport Bike Carrier
florida_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 09:58 AM   #3 (permalink)
Art
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Art

Quote:
Took the Pilot to to a touchless car wash last week. It was the first time I had been to this particular car wash as I was about 25 miles from my home. My regular car wash was too busy when I tried earlier in the day.

Wanted the Pilot clean and shiny as I was taking friends for dinner. After leaving the car wash and heading to friends I notice that my rear wiper blade is missing. I head back to the car wash to file a complaint. Car wash takes my info and tells me they will contact Honda. A Honda dealership is less than 1/2 mile away but the parts dept. is closed. i wasn't convinced the car wash was going to take care of the wiper even though they had me fill out a form for a claim.

First thing Monday morning I call the Honda dealer and tell them I need a new rear wiper-- the "snap in insert and rubber blade". Parts guys says ---they don't sell the "snap in insert and rubber blade" --you have to buy the whole arm to the tune of $32.00 And no one in the city of Houston stocked this part so they were going to have to order it.

I had the dealer order one for me as I had little hope the car wash was going to take care of this. I called the car wash everyday for about 3 days just to let them know that I wasn't going away. About a week later the car wash called----- had my wiper! Cancelled my order!

Ouch, yet another reason I never go to automatic car washes. Glad to hear they took care of you though....

Former vehicle:'03 Pilot- Nighthawk Black Pearl EX-L
All-Season Mats- DIY-Lund Air Deflector, Rear Splash Guards,Side Steps, Wood Dash Kit, Fog Lights, wheel locks, crossbars, Sirius Orbiter, Many wwong items

Wife:07 Accord LX- Alabaster Silver Metallic w/black interior

'49 Chevy Styline Deluxe sedan(My toy)
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Just out of morbid curiousity, which two carwashes (your usual one, and the one that doesn't tape) are you referring to here in Houston?

Would love to know if either is in my neck of the woods.
rtresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
...I head back to the car wash to file a complaint. Car wash takes my info and tells me they will contact Honda...About a week later the car wash called----- had my wiper!...
I'm surprised they did anything for you at all. Most of the touchless car washes I see have disclaimers out front saying "not for SUVs and vans". The others have a higher $ option for SUVs and "large" vehicles.

Was this a "robo-wash" where the car sits still and the sprayers move around it?

Or was it the traditional car wash where the car is pulled through on a chain?

'06 Black EXL-Navi: autodim mirror, many cargo accessories, mud guards, ODB II, and wwong's console pads.
--> passed 100k miles in early 2012 and still going
'06 Black Volvo XC90 2.5T
'03 Black EXL-RES: side steps, autodim mirror, many cargo accessories, roof rack, and mud guards.
--> traded in '06 for XC90
tim.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 01:30 PM   #6 (permalink)
Art
Super Senior Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Art
Default Re: Re: Car wash /rear wiper mishap

Quote:
Originally posted by tim.s
I'm surprised they did anything for you at all. Most of the touchless car washes I see have disclaimers out front saying "not for SUVs and vans". The others have a higher $ option for SUVs and "large" vehicles.

Was this a "robo-wash" where the car sits still and the sprayers move around it?

Or was it the traditional car wash where the car is pulled through on a chain?
From what I have heard, those signs mean nothing. They are they in hopes of keeping people from trying to claim damage. Legally, if their equipment damages your FACTORY items, they are liable. The car wash here (which my Pilot will never use) has a sigh telling you to check for damage before you leave their property and report any.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/dynamic/i.../car_wash.html

Former vehicle:'03 Pilot- Nighthawk Black Pearl EX-L
All-Season Mats- DIY-Lund Air Deflector, Rear Splash Guards,Side Steps, Wood Dash Kit, Fog Lights, wheel locks, crossbars, Sirius Orbiter, Many wwong items

Wife:07 Accord LX- Alabaster Silver Metallic w/black interior

'49 Chevy Styline Deluxe sedan(My toy)
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

The car wash that did the damage was called Car Spa located on Eldridge and 1960. It was one of the pull thru. My regular car wash is Mister car Wash located in SW Houston. They always tape the rear windshield wiper. I have gone to Mister Car wash for many years and the Honda Pilot makes about my 4th SUV---- Mister car Wash has always taped the wiper and removed the antenna if need be.

One noted difference between the rear wiper of the Pilot and other SUV that I have owned is that the other SUVs had a "locking bracket" that kept the rear wiper in place in the off position.

I'll be sure for now own to make sure the wiper is firmly taped when using a car wash.

Better yet...I guess I better use my own bucket and soap!
Cargo organizer,
All weather mats
jtvicknair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2003, 10:39 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
The car wash that did the damage was called Car Spa located on Eldridge and 1960. It was one of the pull thru. My regular car wash is Mister car Wash located in SW Houston. They always tape the rear windshield wiper. I have gone to Mister Car wash for many years and the Honda Pilot makes about my 4th SUV---- Mister car Wash has always taped the wiper and removed the antenna if need be.

One noted difference between the rear wiper of the Pilot and other SUV that I have owned is that the other SUVs had a "locking bracket" that kept the rear wiper in place in the off position.

I'll be sure for now own to make sure the wiper is firmly taped when using a car wash.

Better yet...I guess I better use my own bucket and soap!
Thanks for the info, JT. I have a Saturday morning ritual of washing the Pilot by hand; it would be real nice if I could free up some time by going to an automatic wash, but I just can't force myself to do it.

Last time I went through an automatic car wash was with my Cherokee at Dr. Gleem's (North Loop and Ella). A trim piece that runs along the edge of the roof was ripped off. Not really their fault - the Jeep is almost 10 years old and they did tape the rear washer... guess I can't ask them to tape the entire vehicle.
rtresco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: