How many miles is too much when buying used? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-19-2011, 06:15 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default How many miles is too much when buying used?

I am looking for a used Pilot 2005-2008 range.

Many that I see in my price range are nearing the 80-100K mile mark. I am coming from owning a 4runner with almost 200K with no problems, and just want to know how the Pilot stacks up.

What are the big, known issues that pop up on this vehicle? Anything I should look out for?

I put about 15K on a year, so I am hoping to get something used that will last me 5 or so years with little problems with normal maintanence.

Thanks!
John Redcorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2011, 03:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Answers exist in many other threads. The 105k service is extensive and costs a grand. I think that cost triggers many people to trade in and spend even more money. Other expenses to consider tires, brakes.

The 105k service cost can be used as a good negotiating tool
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:33 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

or you can buy something past the 105k mile. it is cheaper and the 105k mile service should have been done. I have a 194k mile 03 pilot which I'm guessing is better than most 03-05 pilots with 80k miles since I have used "only" mobil 1 synthetic since break-in oil.
2006 evolution IX MR(RIP)
2009 black raven escalade hybrid
2011 sumatra black range rover sport hse lux
2013 santorini black range rover sport hse lux

http://www.doctorownedcars.com/
sblvro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Unless most people, I tend to stay away from cars with timing belts at the 100K mark... mainly for the high cost of replacement. I either look for the 70K mile range or I go to the 120+K range where the timing belt replacement should have been done. Mileage is not really an issue if the vehicle was well maintained. I look for signs of any oil leakage (the rear main seal will cost as much as the timing belt to replace!) and any sludge under the oil cap and inside the oil filler hole. If all that is good and the other normal things seem ok, then I have no hesitation buying a Honda at 120+K miles. I have an 07 Pilot now with 150K miles and it runs like new. You can save a fortune buying high mileage cars if they were maintained well. People usually hear 100+K and they stay away. That's where you can get your deals! The other reason you can usually get good deals on 100+K mileage cars is that most banks won't finance vehicles with that many miles... that takes more people out of the market, which leaves you with a better chance at a good deal (assuming you don't need financing of course!).

Good luck!

Last edited by megatron; 12-21-2011 at 01:51 AM.
megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just bought a Honda Pilot ex 2005, with 150k miles. It looks like new and its runs great. I hope it was a good deal that I got! for $11,000.
-Like you said if the car was taken care of, it should work fine and last long.
ruben.ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:46 AM   #6 (permalink)

I think Mega covered all the points pretty well .. My 2005 is at 80,000mi runs like a top. Just the fluid changes so far. I like timing belt vehicles - just when they need doing you can negotiate a much better price and then do it your self ... parts are $200 or less. Unlike all the blah blah blah ... I never change the water pump. Surprising how long those seals last. Good luck in your search , I think the pilot is a well built machine and I have owned a few Toyotas , Acura and GMs. Don't go back more than 2005 which I am sure your research showed you.
1993 Mercedes 600SL

I am lost when there is no grease under my finger nails.
playstrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think we all go this route at one time or another. My Dads first Accord had 80 k when he bought it. I dont know the year but he had a 120k on it and the engine failed. It was on a recall and they did it for parts COST. No markup... I was fervently anti-import at that time and still hedge to Gov Motors but the Honda service is great. He runs Toyota now and I have a Pilot on order. The best used car I had was an Olds 88 with a 3.8 V6. i dont recall the year but it was 3 yrs old and had 80k miles. I drove it to 250k miles with only scheduled maintenance and a water pump. I had a 2000 Siverado new and put 80k on that and normal maintenance except the push button 4wd switch failed. Good Truck, would still have it if I did not get transferred overseas.
Too many miles for me is 100 to 105k due to service required. Is it done or not....
Like everyone says if maintenance is good and rust ain't bad give it a try.
upnorthpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

ohh, I get my 2012 DCP Touring June 28
upnorthpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 02:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

I bought my RL at 127k miles, all services had been done and I didn't do anything to it the 32k miles we put on it. I bought my Lexus with 116k on it and timing belt was done at 90k, at 130k now and haven't done a thing.

I sold my 96 Acura TL with 263k on it, sold in a few hours. My RL sold in 2 days with 160k on it. I think it depends on the person. I personally would rather buy a at with 115k on it than 90k, granted that the timing belt and water pump service had been completed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: