EX or EXL? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Exclamation EX or EXL?

Hi all

I am a newbie to this forum so I hope I have not overlooked any thread that may have answered my question.

My husband and I are going to be purchasing a 2012 Pilot in the middle of December and thought we had agreed on the EX but now I am not so sure.

Is the cost difference worth the extras you get? We dont want nav or the rear entertainment console either.

Anyone know the factory invoice cost of these two trims too? I have not had luck finding either online.

Thanks!
Emmy
Emmylou81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Check New Cars, Used Cars, Car Reviews and Pricing - Edmunds.com for invoice pricing.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:27 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Well with the EX-L, you get the power tailgate, moonroof, rearview camera, heated leather seats, power passenger seat, XM, and a usb audio interface for about a $3K differential. You'll have to decide whether these items justify the extra cost for your situation.

We have an EX 4wd now and are also shopping for a new SUV. If we go with another Pilot, it will be an EX-L 4wd. After testing numerous SUVs, we will probably go with the Pilot, but it is the slowest of the group.
jl_ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

The only feature of the EX-L that I want is the leather seats and heat, that can be done after market for ~$1800. In my opinion, the other features don't add up to $1200.
Backup Camera? Turn your head
Power tailgate? Use a little muscle
Moonroof? Just takes away headroom. Who honestly uses it and how often?
USB audio interface? The EX has an auxiliary input so any device with a headphone jack will play through the stereo
Power passenger seat? Meh.
XM - Do you really want to pay to listen to the radio?
BigChuckO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigChuckO View Post
The only feature of the EX-L that I want is the leather seats and heat, that can be done after market for ~$1800. In my opinion, the other features don't add up to $1200.
Backup Camera? Turn your head
Power tailgate? Use a little muscle
Moonroof? Just takes away headroom. Who honestly uses it and how often?
USB audio interface? The EX has an auxiliary input so any device with a headphone jack will play through the stereo
Power passenger seat? Meh.

Yeah, I use to feel that way. Hell, didn't even want electric windows as I would probably have to replace a motor or two if I kept the vehicle long enough. I was going to go one step up from base and then I started thinking about my wife and younger child. Some things you should splurg on once in a while. Yeah, I could have bought two brand new small cars for the price of our Touring but what a way to spoil yourself and many of the upgrade functions I thought were a waste of money or could do with out I am now very pleased that I have esp. for a vehicle I paid good money for that I intend on having for quite some time.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

When I bought the pilot, I was going to get the ex. I was financing and after crunch the numbers, my monthly payment was only a few dollars more, so i went with the ex-l. Two years and love all the extras. Never had leather and a sunroof, but now appreciate it. Crunch the numbers with the dealer and look at the difference between the ex and exl. The touring was nice, but I installed a tv w/ dvd in the headrest, step rails, bullbar, tints and other stuff for a fraction of the dealer.
prettyloaded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

well it is depend on you.. when i bought my camry v6, I chose LE ( lowest trim ).. honda pilot I chose EX-L.

2006 Toyota Camry V6. 294,000 Miles.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
How close to invoice are these sites? I have yet to find a place that shows what factory invoice is..cost of vehicle without dealer holdback and other fees added on once the dealer gets the vehicle on their lot.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmylou81 View Post
How close to invoice are these sites? I have yet to find a place that shows what factory invoice is..cost of vehicle without dealer holdback and other fees added on once the dealer gets the vehicle on their lot.
Edmunds pricing gets you to invoice: Pilot Pricing

The you subtract any incentives available: Incentives

Then you can subtract holdback. For holdback Honda is 2% of the base (no option) MSRP. Destination is not included in the MSRP for the holdback calculation: Holdback

If you want an extended warranty, there are dealers that sell them via the web at a discount - if interested links can be provided.

You also have to make sure that there are no additional fees hidden in the paperwork by the dealer (not included reg/title/tax/etc).

Last edited by jl_ss; 11-19-2011 at 10:43 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 02:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

I think the EX vs. EX-L decision typically boils down to how you feel about leather vs. cloth, whether you like a sunroof, and whether you want to listen/subscribe to XM. All just personal preferences.

- Mark
whizmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

I had planned to purchase a 2011 EX, but ended up with the EXL because I found the EXL for almost the same price as an EX just 100 hundred miles away from my local dealer. Decided it was worth the trip to go get. Always want to support the local dealer if possible, but this was too good of deal to pass up. Love the options of the EX-L and glad I chose it over the EX.
BHSXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:14 PM   #12 (permalink)

We have decided to go with the exl so now it's a matter of finding a true dealer cost for it with no res or nav... I see invoice is $31313 ... Is that with or without dest fee? Math isn't my strongest subject so any help I can get would be awesome

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
Old 11-20-2011, 09:02 PM   #13 (permalink)

Garage

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the exl now gets the same screen display as the Nav models but just not as high definition and obviously no Nav. The standard features of the exl are far past the ex.

CHoorel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmylou81 View Post
We have decided to go with the exl so now it's a matter of finding a true dealer cost for it with no res or nav... I see invoice is $31313 ... Is that with or without dest fee? Math isn't my strongest subject so any help I can get would be awesome

For a 2012 EX-L 2wd:

Invoice is $31,314 & Dest is $810 = $32,124
There are no monetary incentives right now. (There is a $1,500 incentive for 2011s)
Holdback is 2% of $31,314 = $626
Dealer cost = $32,124 - $626 = $31,498

Honda financing is offering 0.9% for up to 24/36 months and 1.9% for 60 months.
Old 11-21-2011, 02:13 PM   #15 (permalink)

So looks like I was calculating it right
One thing is I was under the impression hold back was 2% of msrp and not invoice? Am I just misinformed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jl_ss View Post
For a 2012 EX-L 2wd:

Invoice is $31,314 & Dest is $810 = $32,124
There are no monetary incentives right now. (There is a $1,500 incentive for 2011s)
Holdback is 2% of $31,314 = $626
Dealer cost = $32,124 - $626 = $31,498

Honda financing is offering 0.9% for up to 24/36 months and 1.9% for 60 months.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: