VTM-4, VSA, ABS lights on - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 10-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default VTM-4, VSA, ABS lights on

Evening everyone,
My G/F's pilot threw a bunch of lights this morning when we started it up. The VTM-4, VSA, ABS and (!) lights to be exact. I will be (attempting) to pull the codes tomorrow, I have a handheld scanner and a PC-based scan tool. Just wanted to see if others have ever had this happen? Googling the problem only produced one person who had a similar problem. They had the whole ABS module replaced. (dealer diagnosed/replaced) I'm just looking for a heads up from anyone else who's had a similar issue.
Thanks
swamper8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

You don't say the year of your pilot, which might impact the responses.

What happens when you restart it? Do the lights go away?
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 06:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

Also, how old is the battery? A weak battery can cause all sorts of problems.
Old 10-09-2010, 09:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

Sorry for the lack of details. It's a 2006 Pilot. The battery is less than a year old, it was the best ($110) diehard gold available. I don't scrimp when it comes to maintenance or parts. I have the factory electrical troubleshooting manual. One thing I noticed when looking at the schematics is that all the lights which are on in my G/F's gauge pod share a common ground path which can be completed by multiple devices. One of which is simply the brake fluid level switch. Seems pretty extreme to turn on all those indicators for a low brake fluid level.....but the brake fluid is really the life blood of the ABS/VSA etc. I'm hoping it's that simple, it was parked on a pretty steep hill when we started it. Though I would have hoped it would reset itself after a ignition cycle with the vehicle on flat ground. (which it did not) I'm going to attempt to pull the codes in the morning. I don't know if the equipment I have will be able to read the ABS module/codes.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:02 AM   #5 (permalink)

I'm also experiencing the same lights when starting up my 2006 Pilot. It seems to go away after the car has been running for a few minutes and is restarted.

Has anyone successfully had the problem diagnosed/fixed?

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Well in the research I did, if the problem persisted there was no way around it not being a expensive repair. Either a ECU or ABS/VCM module/pump assembly. I'm glad I didn't pull my hair out over it because after being flaky on/off for about two weeks it stopped and hasn't happened since.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. Did you ever end up checking your brake fluid level and add more if necessary? After reading one of your earlier posts I was hoping that it was indeed just that.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

I did check that and it didn't turn out to be the problem. I was eventually going to at least unplug/plugin the connectors at the ABS/VTM module to ensure I didn't have a loose connection or corroded terminal etc but the problem went away so I didn't turn it into a big project.
Old 06-14-2011, 02:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

We had similar problem with our 05 Pilot EXL. Let me give the time line of things and hope it will not be too much information. Original battery, if it really matters.

Starting from day 1 as the day the issue occurred.

Day 1: I was out on a biz trip, and my wife was driving the pilot. According to her, whole bunch of lights, including ABS and (!), went on.
Day 2: She drove the car for a couple of very short trips, the lights were still on.
Day 3 - 4: The polit was parked and she drove my car.
Day 5: I was back in town and she told me the issue while we were on our way home from the airport. I called the Honda/Accura specialty shop(not a dealer) we normally have all the services done and scheduled an appointment.
Day 6: I started the car in the morning, no lights were on. Appointment was cancelled but I was suspicious. Later, the lights came back again and this time, they include the parking break light while the parking break light was not applied.
Day 8: Brought the car to the shop and they did some check and announced that it is mechanically sound about all those things. The shop suspected that the car was involved in some accident/impact around the front hood/wheel on the passenger side. We never had anything that near the level they described. They said the fuse/connection box is there and it could have some loose connections. The cost of opening it up and check/fix would be $300+. We decided that we need the car for that week and scheduled to bring it back in later.
Day 9 - 11: We drove the car as usual, the lights were on and off from time to time.
Day 12 or 13: All lights were gone.

Now it has been 2+ weeks since all warning lights were gone, everything has been okay.

BTW, Just in case this might be related. About two or three months ago, we had the warning about gas tank cap. It was gone after the second tank of gas.
howcome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by howcome View Post
We had similar problem with our 05 Pilot EXL. Let me give the time line of things and hope it will not be too much information. Original battery, if it really matters.

Starting from day 1 as the day the issue occurred.

Day 1: I was out on a biz trip, and my wife was driving the pilot. According to her, whole bunch of lights, including ABS and (!), went on.
Day 2: She drove the car for a couple of very short trips, the lights were still on.
Day 3 - 4: The polit was parked and she drove my car.
Day 5: I was back in town and she told me the issue while we were on our way home from the airport. I called the Honda/Accura specialty shop(not a dealer) we normally have all the services done and scheduled an appointment.
Day 6: I started the car in the morning, no lights were on. Appointment was cancelled but I was suspicious. Later, the lights came back again and this time, they include the parking break light while the parking break light was not applied.
Day 8: Brought the car to the shop and they did some check and announced that it is mechanically sound about all those things. The shop suspected that the car was involved in some accident/impact around the front hood/wheel on the passenger side. We never had anything that near the level they described. They said the fuse/connection box is there and it could have some loose connections. The cost of opening it up and check/fix would be $300+. We decided that we need the car for that week and scheduled to bring it back in later.
Day 9 - 11: We drove the car as usual, the lights were on and off from time to time.
Day 12 or 13: All lights were gone.

Now it has been 2+ weeks since all warning lights were gone, everything has been okay.

BTW, Just in case this might be related. About two or three months ago, we had the warning about gas tank cap. It was gone after the second tank of gas.
The gas cap warning should be un-related unless you have damaged electrical connections somewhere. (if the vehicle WAS in a accident) One item I was told to check was the brake fluid level. If you are on the raggedy edge of the min. allowable brake fluid level than simply increased temperature outside may be causing fluid expansion and causing your fluid level to go up and down right around the sensor threashold. Just cheap insurance, check to make sure you are well over the min. line on your brake fluid reservoir. Supposedly all the same lights will come on if the brake fluid gets low as the brake fluid is the life blood of the traction control/abs/brake system.
Old 06-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamper8 View Post
The gas cap warning should be un-related unless you have damaged electrical connections somewhere. (if the vehicle WAS in a accident) One item I was told to check was the brake fluid level. If you are on the raggedy edge of the min. allowable brake fluid level than simply increased temperature outside may be causing fluid expansion and causing your fluid level to go up and down right around the sensor threashold. Just cheap insurance, check to make sure you are well over the min. line on your brake fluid reservoir. Supposedly all the same lights will come on if the brake fluid gets low as the brake fluid is the life blood of the traction control/abs/brake system.
Thanks a lot for the tip. Will check the level tonight.

BTW, it has been about 4 weeks now, still okay. (knock on the wood) Last weekend, we went on for a two day road trip that put 400+ miles on the car, and everything was normal.
Old 06-24-2011, 03:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

yeah sounds alot like what happened here. Got some random lights at random intervals for a little while (2 or 3 weeks) and everything has been fine since. Like a Honda Y2K glitch ha ha
Old 06-25-2011, 03:10 AM   #13 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Its not that uncommon. I get it occasionally and it goes away when I reboot or restart the car. But I have a dirt road which potholes easily before I get to the street and reckon that it just enough from time to time to set things off.

Don't worry, just drive!
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #14 (permalink)

Dunno if it is related, but on several occasions RAIN has been related, I think.
Starter System
madnessinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:26 PM   #15 (permalink)

Just an update:

All the fluids were well in the range as they should be. Also, no light came back after almost 9 weeks now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: