Canoe on a Pilot rack, how I do it - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-16-2009, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Canoe on a Pilot rack, how I do it

I decided to post my canoe carrying technique so that others who search this forum, will find something. There was one other that carried their canoe with the foam blocks only, and that works, but I dont like the presure points they can create on the roof.

The key is to have a bar up near the sunroof of the roof. This is important because the spread of the factory rack blows. Honda wasnt thinking when they didnt extend the rack rails to the front of the car. Perhaps they worried about sunroof operation (which isnt a problem for me in sliding or tilt mode). I went with yakima for the front setup. Ive always used their stuff, and like it. Im sure Thule is good as well. Anyways, the front is a half kit (2 Q towers, 116 clips, SKS locking cores, 58" single bar, 2 foam blocks that cushion the front gunwhales on the bar). ON the back, I have a T bar similar to this

This requires a rear classIII hitch. It provides the rear support and allows for a single person to load and remove a large canoe. Mine is only 12' 50 pounds, but ive put 17' canoes on there as well. Next, I lash a long tie down over the middle of the canoe, onto the factory side rails. The front gets a tie down, that loops under the front bumper. The front seat gets a tie down that weaves through and hooks to the end of the yamika bar. The back gets one more tie down, and im ready to go.

If anyone has any questions, id be happy to answer.
wazubian is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: