Need to replace Front and Rear Brake pads and Rotars - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 09-12-2008, 10:22 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Need to replace Front and Rear Brake pads and Rotars

I need to replace front and rear brake pads and rotars. The honda dealer said it would cost $950. i asked at Midas and they said he could do it somewhere between 600-800. Do you know if i could get it cheaper any place else? Is it cheaper if we buy it online and get it fixed?
Interior: Beige leather
kiran654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Depends on the mechanic's policy on bringing in your own parts.

Back when I worked in auto parts, one mechanic had a sign in his shop that read:

"You don't go to a diner and bring your own eggs. We do not accept any customer provided parts for installation."

Mechanics make a profit on the parts AND labor. Most don't like getting a chunk of their profit margin pulled out from under them.

At any rate, 6-800 seems reasonable for the job, if it involves replacing the rotors with new ones. The Midas guys are butchers, though. I loved selling to the local Midas shop. Every brake job involved new calipers, it seemed, and I worked on commission.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 04:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

i got it done for $450 including taxes from a store MERLINS. Brake pads are 50% off in that store
Old 09-13-2008, 04:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

I just had the front pads and rotors replaced at 60,000 miles (first time) for about $470 at my Honda dealer. Thirty thousand miles seems low, especially to include the rears. Usually, the rear brakes out last the front by double the miles. So, the price seems Ok, but I'd have some one else check to see if you need the work at 30K.
- Colgen Full front end bra
- Sherpak Go-7 luggage pack
- Woodview dashkit (English burlwood)
- AVS sun roof windflector
- Weatherflector window visors
ptsmh73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2008, 07:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

Actually the Honda dealer itself suggested to replace front and rear brake pads and rotars and the estomate was $950 + tax. So i was shopping around for cheaper price and got it at Merlins mufflers and brakes. This guy actually showed me the condition of the pads and rotars. It actually turned out that front and rear pads need to be replaced as per him and regarding rotars only rear needs to be replaced. Front rotors were fine and he showed him. But anyway he was willign to change pads and rotors front and rear for $450. Even this guy was surprised they need to be replaced with just $30K mileage. I am surprised how come honda dealer you went to charged so much less than the dealer i went to? These dealers mint money.
Old 09-15-2008, 03:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Changing pads and rotors is so easy on this vehicle that if money is an issue, I suggest you do it yourself.
Old 09-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by kiran654
Actually the Honda dealer itself suggested to replace front and rear brake pads and rotars and the estomate was $950 + tax. So i was shopping around for cheaper price and got it at Merlins mufflers and brakes. This guy actually showed me the condition of the pads and rotars. It actually turned out that front and rear pads need to be replaced as per him and regarding rotars only rear needs to be replaced. Front rotors were fine and he showed him. But anyway he was willign to change pads and rotors front and rear for $450. Even this guy was surprised they need to be replaced with just $30K mileage. I am surprised how come honda dealer you went to charged so much less than the dealer i went to? These dealers mint money.
My wifes '04 Accord goes thru brakes like they are going out of style!!! It is her driving style, she comes up to where she needs to stop and slams on the brakes, no gentle braking for her! She is just short of the anti-lock coming on. She has just over 80,000 and she is on her 4th set now! She just will not listen so I make her do the scheduling and taking the car in etc.
mikey159 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 06:59 AM   #8 (permalink)

Why do you need to replace the rotors? I swear 1/2 the repairs I read about on this site seem to be accompanied by questionable, make money for the dealer, extras. I replaced my front pads at 35,000 mi (way too early - there was 1/2 the pads left.) and the rears at 75,000 (they were completely worn out) and in both cases my rotors were a little rusty at the outside edges but they were fine. I drive very conservatively most of the time so I'm pretty easy on brakes. I always coast up to red lights and try to anticipate upcoming stops. At $4/gal. it pays to take it easy.

I have been changing my own brakes for over 25 years and I have never had my rotors or drums turned during a brake job (Let alone replaced). Unless they are so scored that there are deep grooves, the new pads usually smooth them out in a few thousand miles. If the rotors are a bit glazed just hit it with some emery cloth. I have never noticed any reduced braking ability after, either. I guess I'm just cheap and lazy, but I think a lot of the maintenance that is done is simply overkill.

It cost me about $55 - 65 per axle for top of the line brake pads, and a few dollars worth of WD-40 to clean all the rust and grime off of everything. That was my only expense - about $125 total. I can't even imagine spending even $450 for brakes!!
Javaking_1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

We did the front and rear at 64,000 miles for a total of $400 at the Honda dealer. New pads, rotors turned.

Why do you need new ones?
deparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

My 2004 has just over 56,000 miles on it and it just now needs new front pads. Granted, we don't drive it pretty hard or tow, so i can't really comment if 30k might be early or not. However, i would be a bit skeptical of places that would have you do both front and back breakes and new rotors all at once that early.
cecco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 12:56 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to truck11

07 Pilot with 35k (argh!) and the brakes are vibrating pretty bad - not sure if I can get away with just resurfacing or not.
If not, what are people getting as replacements (DIY)?
I swapped out my own brakes on my FX after 4 attempts by 3 different shops to rectify the issue - I resolved it myself! Not sure how hard it is to change out the brakes on the Pilot though.

Any suggestion for a good place to get pads and rotors (if i need them) as well as what brand is everyone getting?
'06 DRZ400e
'05 FX-35 awd
'02 Taos pop-up camper
truck11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #12 (permalink)

i got Bendex ceramic. Merlin boys said it is a good brand
Old 09-27-2008, 09:28 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't like ceramics. You typically need to get them hot before they become effective. Me, I wouldn't trust a counterman at a chain store. Half the time they're teenaged know-nothing dopes.
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:35 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Yeah, and boys at JiffyLube said I needed another air filter after 3k miles

Quote:
deparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 12:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

Sorry for the necrobump. I'm kind of drunk which is never a good idea on a forum

Last edited by Adam2013; 05-16-2013 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Drunk
Adam2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: