Removing rear tail light lens from housing ? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-18-2007, 07:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Removing rear tail light lens from housing ?

I have a 2003 pilot and have a problem with the rear lower tailight lens. Basically inside the lens are plastic bubbles that snap onto the housing (for the brake light/turn signal). Well I took off the tailight from the car, but can't figure out how to seperate the lens from the housing ? I removed 2 small phillips screws (brass color) and tried to pry the red plastic lens from the housing....won't budge. Its like it is sealed with a glue.

I can stick my finger through the small hole that the bulb plugs into, but cannot get the round plastic bubble to snap back on. So it is just rattling around inside the taillight lens.

Any ideas ? Help !!!!! I will post pics tomorrow..
The Toe Cutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2007, 10:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to humanoid

I don't think there is a way to seperate the lens from the housing. There is a TSB somewhere in the forum about this problem.

However, you can try this, but I make no warrantees or guarantees that this will work so do this at your own risk. Heat your oven to about 300 deg. Turn it off. Put your whole tail light housing in there and let it sit for about 10 minutes or so. Take it out and see if you can pry the lens from the housing using a small putty knife of something similar. Glue back on the piece that was loose and use some silicone to seal up the lens to the housing.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I just had this happen. It is more trouble than its worth to pry them apart. chances are you will break them on the teardown or you wont be able to get it sealed up good enough afterwards. Most likely it will fill with moisture and look foggy. I just got an aftermarket knock off for $120 bucks or so. Or you might call around to junk yards in your area and see if they have any...
4x4 ECSB w/Edge Juice
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:37 AM   #4 (permalink)
Go BGSU Falcons

Default LIGHTS FOR FREE

Just had both replaced free of charge last week as warranty repair based on service bulletin. Goodwill repair offered for beyond 3 year warranty per bulletin. They replace in pairs only. Therefore, do not waste your money for replacements.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
humanum est errare

Default Re: Removing rear tail light lens from housing ?

Quote:
Originally posted by The Toe Cutter
I have a 2003 pilot and have a problem with the rear lower tailight lens. Basically inside the lens are plastic bubbles that snap onto the housing (for the brake light/turn signal). Well I took off the tailight from the car, but can't figure out how to seperate the lens from the housing ? I removed 2 small phillips screws (brass color) and tried to pry the red plastic lens from the housing....won't budge. Its like it is sealed with a glue.

I can stick my finger through the small hole that the bulb plugs into, but cannot get the round plastic bubble to snap back on. So it is just rattling around inside the taillight lens.

Any ideas ? Help !!!!! I will post pics tomorrow..
I have the pair I took off my Pilot when I installed the newer lights. You can have them, if you want. They are just sitting in my garage.

PM me.

2003 #48853 EX-L RES Sage Brush Pearl [sold 3/10/09]

2009 Sienna XLT Limted AWD
2006 A4 2.0 CVT
2004 X3 3.0
2003 M3Cic
2003 325i (gone)
2003 Matrix XR (total loss)
1996 Landcruiser (gone)
sfhondapilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #6 (permalink)

this just happened to me. 2004 EXl. got my Leatherman pliers on the 2 tabs of the lens and broke them off. lens should seat nicely after that. put a couple of spots of gorilla glue in the joints with a bamboo kabob skewer and its gtg! pretty crap design.
cb50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: