disabling factory alarm - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-21-2007, 08:44 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default disabling factory alarm

Is it easy to disable the factory installed alarm system on an '03? We just bought our Pilot the other day.
Last evening, I'm in the driveway and decided to poke around our 'new' vehicle. The doors were locked but the windows were down. I reached in and popped up the lock and BAAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA! BAAAA! . . .

I ran in the house and fumbled to find the keys in a drawer and frantically punched a button and the alarm turned off.

I've never owned a car with an alarm. Obviously.

I don't want this to happen again. How can I disable the alarm?

Replies such as, 'Just keep your keys with you,' 'Don't open the doors that way,' etc. will be returned unopened.
gj13us is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2007, 11:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know but I would think it's very difficult, if not impossible. The alarm is integrated with the remote lock/unlock feature. I've never even tried it, but perhaps if you only lock and unlock the doors with the key, the anti-theft system doesn't activate. I do know that even if you're inside the car, you lock the doors with the remote, then unlock and open a door manually, the alarm will sound. And you can't disable it with the key, even if you start the car - you have to use the remote.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

If you have an EX, the security system is integrated with car's multiplex system so it cannot be easily disabled. Page 206 of your manual explains how the systems works - in a nutshell if you use the remote or lock the doors with the key the alarm will arm.

OEM Running Boards, Window Visors & Other Misc. Accessories
Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
ED27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by krygny
......And you can't disable it with the key, even if you start the car - you have to use the remote.
You can disarm it with the key by unlocking the driver's door.

OEM Running Boards, Window Visors & Other Misc. Accessories
Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
ED27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 01:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

All righty, then.

We've never really used a keyfob remote to lock or unlock doors before the Pilot so it won't be any big deal to not use it, which seems like the simplest solution.

Our Camry has a fob lock/unlock feature (no alarm system). The fob's battey died about three or four years ago and I never bothered to replace it.

Thanks for the replies.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by gj13us
The fob's battey died about three or four years ago and I never bothered to replace it.

Thanks for the replies.
Curious. I've gotten so used to it, I couldn't live without it. Until today, I don't think I ever opened the car with the key. I tried it just for curiosity after reading this thread and discovered that the security system does arm when you lock the car with the key. It arms even if you manually lock the door, then let it close.
Old 06-21-2007, 03:12 PM   #7 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:
All righty, then.

We've never really used a keyfob remote to lock or unlock doors before the Pilot so it won't be any big deal to not use it, which seems like the simplest solution.

Our Camry has a fob lock/unlock feature (no alarm system). The fob's battey died about three or four years ago and I never bothered to replace it.

Thanks for the replies.
If you're not a female you better turn in your man-card. No self-respecting male would let the batteries in any remote not be replaced.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by jay
If you're not a female you better turn in your man-card. No self-respecting male would let the batteries in any remote not be replaced.
I have this argument with my brother all the time. I'm old school. He's never used a key in his life. I'm still flabbergasted that they're making cars now that don't have a keyhole on the passenger side.
Old 06-22-2007, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
. .. . I'm still flabbergasted that they're making cars now that don't have a keyhole on the passenger side.
Why?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:10 AM   #10 (permalink)
5Gs
Super Senior Member

another benefit to using the remote...no more key marks around the keyhole! (not that I have scratched my car with the key)
<FONT COLOR="#000000"><B>2006 Honda Pilot 4WD EX-LN</B></FONT>
<FONT COLOR="#999999"><B>2004 Honda S2000</B></FONT>
5Gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

I've scratched my door with the key. I was putting my daughter in the back seat. With the keys in my left hand, I opened the door with my left hand. As I assisted her up the step with my right hand, my key-filled left hand slid across the door. The razor sharp edges of the key produced a nice 1 inch scratch just above the door handle. So I learned to leave the key in my pocket as I hit the unlock button on the FOB and assist the children with empty hands. I am now very aware of the where the key is in relation to the Pilot at all times.
'88 Accord LX Gold (sold)
StarBlazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:01 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

There are keyholes in the doors? I have never even noticed that
deparson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

Yep, keyholes. I think they were called key cylinders back then. Some cars used to have handcranks to open and close the windows, too.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:04 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Yep, keyholes. I think they were called key cylinders back then. Some cars used to have handcranks to open and close the windows, too.
Next thing you know we are going to hear that old lie about having to get off the sofa to change the channel on the TV!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I have this argument with my brother all the time. I'm old school. He's never used a key in his life. I'm still flabbergasted that they're making cars now that don't have a keyhole on the passenger side.
The only practical benefit I can think of to using a key instead of a remote to enter the car is the accumulation over the years of little scratches around the keyhole. I mean if you're into that sorta thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: