LX vs. EX - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-09-2006, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default LX vs. EX

Besides the published differences between the LX and EX are there any other differences? Specifically, is there any difference between the plushness of the seats? I know about the power adjustment on the EX but other than that, are the material and cushioning the same?

The LX seems to have what I need...I would just get aftermarket window tint for the rear (no privacy glass). Just want to make sure that there are no "hidden" differences.
john150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: LX vs. EX

Quote:
Originally posted by john150
Besides the published differences between the LX and EX are there any other differences? Specifically, is there any difference between the plushness of the seats? I know about the power adjustment on the EX but other than that, are the material and cushioning the same?

The LX seems to have what I need...I would just get aftermarket window tint for the rear (no privacy glass). Just want to make sure that there are no "hidden" differences.
I believe everything else is the same - aside from the stated upgrades. You know, despite the initial price difference b/w the LX and the EX models, you will definitely see a higher resale value for an EX over an LX. As well as increased (this is subjective now) enjoyment from the additional features. Not trying to upsell you, but when you're dropping $20k+, whats another $500-1k ?

Splash Guards / Wheel Locks / Cargo Cover / WWong's Pilot Pads / Valentine One / Peripheral iSimple PXAMG
BubbleSparkxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

As far as seats go, I have the EX-L and it would be difficult to compare the leather to the cloth. That said, I do not believe there is any difference in the seats. The main difference (but not "hidden) would be the LX does not have auto temp control. Edit: 07 LXs have VSA.

Here is what the Honda site says about the 2WD EX (compared to the 2WD LX)

The Pilot 2WD EX adds a dash of refinement with a synchronized automatic climate control system, an AM/FM/6-disc in-dash CD changer audio system with 7 speakers and the HomeLink® remote system †. Roof rails, body-colored side mirrors and door handles, and machine-finished 16" alloy wheels add style to an already handsome vehicle.

The roof rails can be added. The wheels and color coded pieces are basically cosmetic and a matter of personal choice. Need to check out the radio. Not sure you can upgrade the radio.
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Sportymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 09:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyschneider

I own an '06 LX 4WD, and the difference in the cloth seats is pretty signficant. The LX ones are a very utilitarian cloth - very durable, but not overly soft or pliable. The EX cloth seats are more of a soft, velour-ish material. For me, I use my LX as a "haul things around" and "tow things around" vehicle, and while I carry people around, we mostly use my wife's 04 EX Leather/DVD Pilot.

Beyond the seats and the advertised features, the LX isn't a compromise. Things I miss in the LX are the external thermometer, heated mirrors and the auto-climate control (never thought I'd say that....)

andy

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (White, Wife's) - 13k miles
2013 Acura MDX (White, Mine) - 10k miles
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Oldest kid out of house) - 21k miles
2004 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (middle kid out of house) - 114k miles

Past - 04 Pilot EX-L RES, 06 Pilot LX - both 4WD
andyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 10:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: LX vs. EX

Quote:
Originally posted by BubbleSparkxx

Not trying to upsell you, but when you're dropping $20k+, whats another $500-1k ?
Even with a deep discount on both the LX and EX the difference is $2000- or more.
john150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 07:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

I can't remember specifically what they are, but there are a lot of little differences that are not always cited in the literature. They became apparent to me one day while I was having some service done at the dealer and I took a close look at an LX. A whoooole lotta things I was used to seeing weren't there.

IMO, it's not even debatable - the difference in price is not worth it. Or, I should say, the price of the EX is well worth the additional features.

(e.g., the rear window on the LX, where you can see the margins of the interior from outside, LOOKS HORRIBLE!.)
Old 11-10-2006, 07:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by andyschneider
I own an '06 LX 4WD, and the difference in the cloth seats is pretty signficant. The LX ones are a very utilitarian cloth - very durable, but not overly soft or pliable. The EX cloth seats are more of a soft, velour-ish material. For me, I use my LX as a "haul things around" and "tow things around" vehicle, and while I carry people around, we mostly use my wife's 04 EX Leather/DVD Pilot.

Beyond the seats and the advertised features, the LX isn't a compromise. Things I miss in the LX are the external thermometer, heated mirrors and the auto-climate control (never thought I'd say that....)

andy
My 2006 LX has heated mirrors...maybe a Canadian thing??? Anyhow, it all depends on what you're looking for...the LX is much more utilitarian...perfect for dogs, kids, and cargo. At this point in my life, I can't imagine having a vehicle with plush velour or leather interior.
PilotLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 10:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyschneider

Quote:
Originally posted by PilotLX

My 2006 LX has heated mirrors...maybe a Canadian thing??? Anyhow, it all depends on what you're looking for...the LX is much more utilitarian...perfect for dogs, kids, and cargo. At this point in my life, I can't imagine having a vehicle with plush velour or leather interior.
Must definitely be a Canadian thing - I would be very happy if mine came with the heated mirrors, but, alas, being south of your border means we lose that winter-weather feature - even though we get winter weather here in NH on par with most of the eastern half of Canada - go figure.... But I agree with your labelling of it as "utilitarian" - you get all of the safety bells and whistles, as well as the majority of the creature comforts and needed accessories, without the plush/cushy/luxury features. I really like mine.

Finally, in response to an earlier post about the non-tinted rear windows on the LX as being a feature - I actually prefer driving the pilot without the dark tint rear windows - much easier to see (vs my wife's '04 EX) and the inside doesn't really heat up that much worse without the tint. I bought the rear cargo cover to pull over anything I don't want seen...

andy

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (White, Wife's) - 13k miles
2013 Acura MDX (White, Mine) - 10k miles
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Oldest kid out of house) - 21k miles
2004 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (middle kid out of house) - 114k miles

Past - 04 Pilot EX-L RES, 06 Pilot LX - both 4WD
andyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM   #9 (permalink)

We looked at all of the Pilot models. I didn't like the leather seats -- too slippery. The EX velour is nice, but we actually preferred the chino-style fabric found in the LX. It seems it will be the most durable of the three choices.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

I can definitely understand balking at a price difference of 10%. But I also know for a fact that I would have a much lower level of satisfaction if I didn't have the Pilot with the features that I wanted.

Splash Guards / Wheel Locks / Cargo Cover / WWong's Pilot Pads / Valentine One / Peripheral iSimple PXAMG
BubbleSparkxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:23 PM   #11 (permalink)

I was gonna stay out of this one, but as '06 LX owner I guess I gotta chip in my $.02 - As I already owned an EX trim CR-V, it was a tough decision. In a way, I originally thought going to an LX trim, even though it is a Pilot, was a step back. In the end, bottom line was the LX had the major stuff I deemed important (VSA, TPMS, 3-row side curtain airbags), and the rest of the mechanicals (engine, trans, ABS, VTM-4) were the same up and down the line. The EX goodies sure would have been nice to have, just not that important to me (except I have grown to like the steering-wheel radio controls in my wife's RAV4), but I've owned 25 cars over the past 39 years and none had a power driver's seat or auto climate-control (well, my '97 Pathfinder SE kinda did, but it never worked right), so I figured I'd never miss 'em. And of course, the LX fit my price range a whole lot better.
1987 Toyota MR2 (mine also)
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 10:30 AM   #12 (permalink)

My '06 Pilot, Canadian LX version, came with heated mirrors and roof rails as standard equipment. The differences between LX and EX is purely luxury and cosmetic and , of course, price.
This Pilot replaced a GMC Safari. Along with our two young ones, my wife seems to drive EVERYONES kid to school in the moring and THEY are happy with our choice. It would be a shame to put an EX through that.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
2006 Pilot LX....Bye Bye
2008 VW Golf
1983 MB 280SL
nobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:05 AM   #13 (permalink)

Brent, I agree with you on the auto temperature control. The system does a good job of maintaining temperature, but the problem is us humans are not always comfortable at the same temperature. I would just as soon have the manual control.
96 Chrysler Sebring Convertible
57 Lincoln
57 Ford Pickup
catsailr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:55 PM   #14 (permalink)

I really prefer the manual control. I have only had one vehicle, a '97 Pathfinder SE that had auto temperature control and it never seemed to find the dialed temp. It was always hunting between a very warm and lukewarm temp during the winter, and high fan speed (very annoying) and a low speed during summer. I'll keep my three round knobs.
1987 Toyota MR2 (mine also)
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2006, 03:45 AM   #15 (permalink)

I don't have a Pilot yet, but drove a buddies - and I HATE the autoclimate crap. Too many doggone buttons to run the thing. I wish you could get an EXL with the knobs. i too, like the AC button and less to break.
tfrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: