New members: ask here instead of starting new thread

708K views 5K replies 2K participants last post by  bballjames 
#1 ·
Since we seem to have a lot of new members lately
(Welcome!) We are seeing a lot of the same questions
being asked again. So that we don't get a proliferation
of duplicate threads, I propose this:
If you want to ask a question and don't know if it has
been discussed before, ask it here first.
(Just click the "Post Reply" button at the top and bottom of this page.)
I'm sure you will get several enthusiastic honda-pilot.org members happy to point you to the thread where it has been discussed before.
If this works, I'll have admin make this a 'sticky' thread so it will always
show at the top of the thread list.

Ask away!!!

(P.S. If you are a new Pilot owner, do we have your VIN in the table? -- shameless plug -- see link in my signature below.)

#2 ·
Another great idea brought to you by the fine people of Havasu, Inc.;)

#3 ·
VIN Number Knowledge

Can anyone tell me when a dealer will know the VIN number on their expected Pilots? I put a deposit down last month for one of these things and called my dealer today asking for the VIN number so I could get some insurance quotes. He advised me that he won't know the VIN number until after the vehicle is built, which he says is currently in production. I was wondering if the Dealer knows in advance the VIN or does it sound like I'm getting the run-around in hopes of the dealer landing a better deal? Thanks for all of your help!

#4 ·
#3,297 ·
Havasu.

You were right about checking here first to see if our question had been previously discussed. What a great idea. My question was right on point with yoyo74's. When I clicked on the links below I wound up on a sponsored listings page for honda-pilot.org. :confused:

My question is: On average, how long is the period between the signing of the "deal" and the VIN number issuance? And ultimately, how long does it take from issuance of the VIN to delivery of vehicle?

We ordered our 2011 Pilot Touring 4WD around July 6, 2010.

#5 ·
Thanks A Ton

Havasu:
Thanks so much for your help. Just wanted to make sure I wasn't getting the run-around. Have been waiting more then 3 months to get a Pilot. The original dealer basically lied through his teeth and held on to our deposit promising delivery every month for 3 months. Just wanted to make sure I was dealing with a dealer who is trustworthy! You and the rest of the "seniors" are a great resource. Thanks for the time and effort in keeping us "juniors" informed!

#6 ·
OK, I hope to see your VIN appear in the VIN table thread (see link in my signature) soon!

#7 ·
Negotiating interest rate

According to one dealer, they say they get no benefit from signing up a customer to finance a vehicle through them; i.e., Honda of America. They say this is just a courtesy to their customers. Is it true?

If not, is there any room for negotiating interest rate? I'm told Honda is offering 3.99%. Will I be going overboard if I ask for 1 or 2% financing with 50% down payment in lieu of not hassling them for car price?

#3,911 ·
interest rate

According to one dealer, they say they get no benefit from signing up a customer to finance a vehicle through them; i.e., Honda of America. They say this is just a courtesy to their customers. Is it true?

If not, is there any room for negotiating interest rate? I'm told Honda is offering 3.99%. Will I be going overboard if I ask for 1 or 2% financing with 50% down payment in lieu of not hassling them for car price?
Shop around for different rates. My dealership is offering 0.9%. I found another dealership advertising 0 down, 0% financing. My dealership matched it.

#8 ·
If they get no benefit, then how come they beat the rate we already had from our credit union? It's worth a try... but 3.99 is pretty good (better than we got)

#9 ·
Re: Negotiating interest rate

penguin said:
And monkeys fly out of your dealer's butt too!

The finance manager is working on the same premise as a mortgage broker. He gets a loan rate from the lender, charges you as high a rate as he can, and he gets a rebate (kickback) from the lender for the difference.

#12 ·
Re: after market back sensor??

manickr said:
Does any one aware of any after market back up sensor? and if so, can you please provide me withthe cost/features etc. I am looking to add it to my Pilot EXL-RES

Thanks
I ordered back-up sensors from my Dealer. They offered "ECHOMASTER" which work great and are $300.00 less (with installation) than the Honda installed part. Woulda gone with the Honda factory part had I known it was available. (My salesguy was an idiot). Now I think I'm glad I didn't. Used the $300. for other stuff! ;)

#13 ·
Is it safe to run a Pilot thru an auto car wash ?

Hi all:

I know this is probably blasphemy to most of you, but I admit it, I'm lazy! And as much as I love my Pilot, it is a working vehicle for me. I want to keep it clean, but I really don't want to hand wash it all the time.

So, can the Pilot be safely run thru an auto car wash ? I guess my biggest worry is that the Pilot may get out of alignment because of the wheels being guided along the tracks of the car wash. True ?

Anything else to be worried about ?

Does anyone auto car wash their Pilot on a regular basis (and will admit to it :)) ?

Thanks.

#14 ·
Is it safe to run a Pilot thru an auto car wash ?

Hi all:

I know this is probably blasphemy to most of you, but I admit it, I'm lazy! And as much as I love my Pilot, it is a working vehicle for me. I want to keep it clean, but I really don't want to hand wash it all the time.

So, can the Pilot be safely run thru an auto car wash ? I guess my biggest worry is that the Pilot may get out of alignment because of the wheels being guided along the tracks of the car wash. True ?

Does anyone auto car wash their Pilot on a regular basis (and will admit to it :)) ?

Thanks.

#3,411 · (Edited)
Hi all:

Thanks.
Not a problem. If you are not cursed with the need to keep your vehicle swirl free, then life is a lot less stressful. I take my truck through a tracked all cloth car wash and have never had a problem. The Pilot goes through a stationary high pressure brushless car wash because the all cloth brushes would rip the bug deflector off. It helps if you have a silver vehicle - Silver hides surface scratches exceptionally well.

#15 ·
When you are on the track, don't turn the wheel, let it be guided and you will be fine.

If these things were sending cars out of alignment it would be on 20/20 by now.

#16 ·
You don't have to be embarassed 'cause you wanna run your Pilot through the auto car wash. It seems like a good question. Even for those who do religiously keep theirs washed and waxed by hand...there may be some occasion sometime that the car wash would be used.
I've always used the brushless/no-touch washes for a quick run through if needed and no time to do it myself. Also had my Accord professionally detailed regularly by a guy that stops by businesses and does 2 cars a day.
Not sure about the alignment thing but another good question.
Safe Piloting... :29:

#4,430 ·
You don't have to be embarassed 'cause you wanna run your Pilot through the auto car wash. It seems like a good question. Even for those who do religiously keep theirs washed and waxed by hand...there may be some occasion sometime that the car wash would be used.
I've always used the brushless/no-touch washes for a quick run through if needed and no time to do it myself. Also had my Accord professionally detailed regularly by a guy that stops by businesses and does 2 cars a day.
Not sure about the alignment thing but another good question.
Safe Piloting... :29:

#17 ·
Its a car!

In 155,000 miles we detailed the old Range Rover twice.
Once right before we moved (as a present for my wife), and once right before we sold it.

Other than that it got normal washes, either drive-through touchless, drive-through DIY, or Driveway with the kids.
About the only thing we avoilded was drive through brush type, and over-enthousiastic polishing.

When we sold it people could not believe it had 155,00 miles nor that it was 10 years old!

P.S. 6 of the 10 years in the Southern California sun without a garage!

#18 ·
Side Airbag is off

While driving, all of a sudden an indicator lit up "Side Airbag Is Off." After about 20 miles, the indicator just turned off. Has anybody experienced this? This is just the second week that I had the Pilot - should I read the manual cover to cover? :(

#19 ·
Middle row seats will not slide and fold

:mad: Got my Pilot Monday. Visited the dealer the following day - the back rest of the smaller seat in the middle row will not fold and slide forward to let a passenger to the third row. Today, the bigger seat in the same row will not slide forward but backrest folds down. Now I have some seat mechanism exposed until the dealer gets the parts.

Please tell me that I am not the only one ...

#20 ·
Re: Side Airbag is off

ReyBart said:
While driving, all of a sudden an indicator lit up "Side Airbag Is Off." After about 20 miles, the indicator just turned off. Has anybody experienced this? This is just the second week that I had the Pilot - should I read the manual cover to cover? :(
If the passenger is not sitting squarly in their seat, a sensor detects this and disables the air bag. This happens sometimes with my wife because she tends to lean over towards the door. The reasoning is that the air bag would do more damage than good if it deployed while someone is in the cavitity that the air bag would fill when deployed. In essence, if you are up against the door, the side airbag deploying would push you into the dash and front windshield. It can also happen if you have something heavy in the seat that isn't positioned in the center of the seat.

#21 ·
VIN Etching Question

Where would the etched VIN numbers if infact the dealer actually did the etching, instead of just charging me for it?

I can't seem to find any, but yet there it is on my contract.

Any Ideas, Photos? Any recourse?

Thanks,
Lyn
White EX-L RES
Las Vegas

#22 ·
etching

With the window "rolled up" (tells you how old my last car was) and standing outside the driver's door, mine is along the bottom, about four inches to the left of the door frame (translation: bottom right corner). The passenger's etching is bottom left.
You should be able to go back to the dealer and ask them to show you. If they can't, either get them to do it "again" or refund your money.

#24 ·
Is this a good thing?

I have Pilot EX Taffeta white (4 days old). This morning while admiring my Pilot, I noticed
the tires being Bridgestone Dueler brand. Is it a good thing since I read about Pilot having
Good year tires and some member are compalining about it?

Thanks!

#25 ·
Which Duelers

Ther are several tires with that name.
The ones I have oin my '02 CR-V are not good at all.
Not much grip, and lots of noise.
Other models I hear are fairly well liked.