Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/)
-   General Discussions (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/)
-   -   CHECK FUEL CAP indication won't clear! (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/2-general-discussions/13606-check-fuel-cap-indication-wont-clear.html)

Bluish 01-03-2006 07:38 PM

CHECK FUEL CAP indication won't clear!

Last week I got the "CHECK FUEL CAP" indication on my 12 month old 2005 Honda PILOT with 10,000 miles. The manual instructions for this message are:

1) Turn the engine off
2) Confirm the fuel cap is installed. If it is, loosen the cap, then retighten it at least 3 clicks.
3) When you restart the engine, the message appears again. To clear it, press and hold the Trip/Reset button until the message is replaced by the odometer/outside temperature display.
4) If the system still detects a loose or missing fuel cap, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) comes on. Turn the engine off and check or retighten the fuel cap at least 3 clicks.
5) The MIL goes out after 3 days of normal driving once the cap is tightened or replaced. If it does not go out, have your dealer inspect the vehicle.

I'm not an idiot, but I feel like one because I can not clear the message. I've held the Trip/Reset button for 20-30 seconds but I can not get the message to clear. The MIL has not come on yet, so I don't think there is a real problem.

Has anybody experienced this message? Does anybody know how to really clear this message? What am I doing wrong? :confused:

CHADC880 01-04-2006 01:43 AM

Everything I ever heard was the 06's were the only pilots with the check gas cap indicator light ??? :27:

Rocky 01-04-2006 04:39 AM

Loose gas caps will trip the check engine light on most cars with an OBD2 code of p0446. Since I haven't experienced the loose gas cap syndrome with the Pilot yet I haven't had your experience.

But if you go to an autozone they'll read the codes for free and clear them if you want to them to.

A6Pilot 01-04-2006 11:18 AM

Why go to AutoZone? The car's covered by warranty. If you are going to have it looked at , how 'bout the dealer? Am I missing something?

john802 01-04-2006 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by A6Pilot
Why go to AutoZone? The car's covered by warranty. If you are going to have it looked at , how 'bout the dealer? Am I missing something?
Convenience! Some Pilot owners live in the suburbs or small town whereby no access to Honda dealer service center unless they drive 50+ miles or more.

ramirami 01-04-2006 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by rocky
Since I haven't experienced the loose gas cap syndrome with the Pilot yet I haven't had your experience.

I did and there is what I learned..
1. Dont do 3 clicks do more than that...
2. The check engine lite clears after some time (its in the manual after how long)

AWGD8 01-04-2006 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ramirami

I did and there is what I learned..
1. Dont do 3 clicks do more than that...
2. The check engine lite clears after some time (its in the manual after how long)

I normally do 8 clicks for luck! he he he...
:2:

ericsgr 01-04-2006 03:45 PM

I think that is just on the '06. I have an '05 and I accidentally left the gas cap off totally the other night. I had to leave the gas station quickly because there was a tractor trailer driver trying to manuver his rig around the pumps and was practically touching one of them. He didnt look like he knew what he was doing so I got the hell outta there............lol.
Anyway, no lights when the cap was off completely. Should I have seen one?

sfhondapilot 01-04-2006 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by AWGD8

I normally do 8 clicks for luck! he he he...

My wife says I am obsessive. As I am replacing the gas pump, I will continue to turn (click) the gas cap. She says that she has counted over 25 clicks (altho I seriously doubt that).

tdaisy 06-02-2006 11:29 AM

Check Fuel Cap won't clear

I just came back from the dealer after having my SRS indicator fixed. Now I am having the exact same problem as Bluish. I followed the same procedure which is spelled out in the manual, and the message won't go out. The frustrating part of this message is that it doesn't allow me to view my odometer/trip meter or outside temp until the dealer can fix it.

I'll post the results after a visit to the dealer on Monday.

Cheers

ctobio 06-02-2006 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ericsgr
I think that is just on the '06. I have an '05 and I accidentally left the gas cap off totally the other night. I had to leave the gas station quickly because there was a tractor trailer driver trying to manuver his rig around the pumps and was practically touching one of them. He didnt look like he knew what he was doing so I got the hell outta there............lol.
Anyway, no lights when the cap was off completely. Should I have seen one?

Not necessarily. The system tests whether the gas cap is holding pressure by firing up the leak detection pump periodically. The pump fires up, pressurizes the system, and measures whether it holds x pressure for y minutes. If so, pass.

Its possible that during the whole time the cap was off, the self test hadn't occurred. Drive around all day like that, and you will see the light come on.

If the light is staying on, it would indicate that the condition that triggered the problem has not cleared. 3 good self tests in a row clears the light.

Live 2 Fish 07-14-2006 09:02 PM

Did anyone resolve this problem without going to the dealer? I just hit 3000 miles and the message came on this morning at start up. I did what the manual said but it did not clear the message like the orginal poster stated.

Anyone?

skyking 07-14-2006 10:51 PM

Well, my '06 Pilot had that "check fuel cap" message come on at about 2500 miles. Following the reset procedure as outlined in the manual is a waste of time and will only piss you off further. I called three different local dealers who told me to wait anywhere between 3 and 14 days for the message to clear by itself. After two weeks, it was still displaying every time the vehicle started so I made a appointment to take it in. The dealer kept the car for the day, checked everything they could think of checking (including the gas cap), found no stored codes, reset the light and called me to announce everything is wonderful. Sooooo, I asked, why did the message come on. The best they could offer is that this particular dealer sees it in Pilots more than any other and usually has no direct cause. The service manager suggested tightening the cap "only" 4 clicks after fueling; more can prevent good sealing. Sounded bogus and a big reach, but I now it has been 3 months later and almost 4,000 mi and (knock on wood) no repeat.

waynerd 07-14-2006 11:07 PM

My "MIL" came on last year and stayed on for over a week of long distance driving. After I called the dealer and made an appointment, it went out:8:

The dealer agreed with me I probably got water somewhere in the system after "punching it" on an expressway on-ramp with a cold engine after a warm, humid night.

ctobio 07-14-2006 11:26 PM

I have an OBD-II scanner... so, I can clear it. If you go to autozone, you can clear it with their borrowed scanner too.