CHECK FUEL CAP indication won't clear! - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 07-22-2006, 06:25 PM   #16 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

My new 2006 Pilot EX with only 400 miles on it now has the check fuel cap problem! We can't get it to clear. From viewing this forum it looks like it is a common problem. It's too bad a brand new car has to go in for service after two weeks. Oh well. I'm still enjoying my new ride!
cathyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2006, 09:03 PM   #17 (permalink)

Hey, good news. My check fuel cap message has now disappeared by itself after two tanks of gas. This time I only tightened the cap 4 clicks.

Hope this problem is gone for good!

Live 2 Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2006, 09:09 PM   #18 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Attached Images
File Type: jpg p068.jpg (42.8 KB, 2425 views)
Old 07-22-2006, 09:17 PM   #19 (permalink)

That is what the manual says.

"When you restart the engine, the message appears again. To clear it, press and hold the Trip/Reset button until the message is replaced by the odometer/outside temperature display."

You could press and hold the trip reset button until you were blue in the face , but the message would not clear.

"If the system still detects a loose or missing fuel cap, the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) comes on. Turn the engine off and check or retighten the fuel cap at least 3 clicks."

My MIL never came on.
Live 2 Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2006, 11:01 AM   #20 (permalink)

My message cleared on it's own. Didn't do a thing. Just started it up this morning and it was gone. I forgot to mention it did come on with about 7/8 tank of gas, and now the tank is half full. Now if you could all tell me where did all my gas go? I've only driven 140 miles since last fill!!
Old 07-25-2006, 11:23 AM   #21 (permalink)

According to my mechanic, the "check fuel cap" warning message will go away when the computer runs and passes its next test. This test will only occur when there is between 1/2 - 3/4 tank of gas, and the operating temperature is b/w 70-80 degrees, which is at least 10 degrees less than the external temperature.

Basically, the advice posted in this thread is accurate. It's an annoyance more than anything else, but its nothing to worry about unless you get the dreaded "check engine light". The "check fuel cap" message should go away by itself eventually. It did for me after 2 weeks.

Splash Guards / Wheel Locks / Cargo Cover / WWong's Pilot Pads / Valentine One / Peripheral iSimple PXAMG
BubbleSparkxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 07:40 PM   #22 (permalink)

Default 'Check Fuel Cap' flashed today

I have 2800 miles on my 2006. The 'check fuel cap' light flashed today and after resetting is still flashing upon starting the vehicle each time. This is the first time in nearly 100,000 miles and 2 Honda Pilots that I have ever had a problem with a Pilot. The cap has never been loose so this is a malfunction. I will not take it to a dealer as I refuse to let this people touch my truck. I'll keep an eye on things here and see if I can figure it out myself.
poconopilot40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2006, 09:01 PM   #23 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Wife had this on her pilot.. to proud to ask me, she takes it to the dealer. They proceeded to tell her that she screwed the cap on at a wrong angle
ThePilotster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 01:19 AM   #24 (permalink)

I was pretty anxious too when I received the CHECK FUEL CAP message - it went on for almost 2 weeks and 2 fill ups. But the message did go away, just like my mechanic advised. As soon as the conditions are optimal (and baring any true issues) your message will clear as well. It has been several months and no such message has ever returned.

Splash Guards / Wheel Locks / Cargo Cover / WWong's Pilot Pads / Valentine One / Peripheral iSimple PXAMG
BubbleSparkxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

This recently happed to me. I followed the directions in the owners manual to clear the message but it did not solve the problem. After about 2 weeks and 2 fillups the problem went away. Needless to say, I checked the gas cap several times, clicked it 4 clicks, and just waited for it to clear by itself. Not worth mentioning it to a dealer unless it never goes away.
texvegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2007, 02:01 PM   #26 (permalink)

We are getting that message now too.
BigJimCalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 08:32 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

HA!

We got this error today for the first time. Good thread. Now we know we can ignore it for a few weeks.

The error WILL reset, but not by holding the reset button. Just push it for a few seconds and release. The display returns to normal.

2003 Pilot EX Evergreen Pearl (Traded In)

2005 F250 Crew Cab Lariat Powerstroke 4x4

2000 Jeep Wrangler SE
a2Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 12:55 AM   #28 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Good Thread.

I guess I'll go try it now.

Mine gas cap light has been one for 5 days now.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:20 AM   #29 (permalink)

My wife has 2005 Pilot. The "Check fuel cap" warning light recently came on and so I tightened the cap 3 clicks and waited 3 days. The Warning Light stayed on. However, I did note that there was no MIL warning light in the DASH. I decided to buy a new gas cap because I figured the $21 was a pretty cheap fix for a "first step" to resolve this problem. Installed the new cap and waited 5 days. The "Check fuel cap" warning light was still coming up each time we tried to start the pilot. My wife pointed out that we could cycle through the odometer / outside temperature button and see the "Check fuel cap" warning anytime after the Pilot was started. It was not actually being reset each time we hit the odometer button - it was just being cycled "out of sight out of mind".

I too read the Pilot manual and noticed it stated that the MIL light goes out after 3 days. Our MIL light never came on in this instance! The manual does not say the "Check Fuel Cap" warning goes out after 3 days of normal driving, only the MIL light (maybe we are to assume this). I decided the two warnings should be "connected" so I LOOSENED by gas cap until it was just on the fuel neck, drove 1/10 of a mile and forced the MIL light to come ON because the gas cap was obviously loose (I figured this was no worse than forgetting to put it back on at the gas station). I went back to the fuel cap and then tightened it 3 clicks. The "Check fuel cap" warning light RESET and went out within a half mile of driving (cycled the odometer button and the "Check Fuel Cap" warning light was gone). Then I waited for 3 days of normal driving and the MIL light reset. We have had no problems now after 2 weeks of normal driving.
krhowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 02:16 PM   #30 (permalink)

I just did what krhowl said above and it worked.

1. Loosen the cap so that it rests on the fuel neck, and close the fuel door.
2. Drive around until the MIL appears (a squarish yellow/orange symbol) on the dash.
3. Stop the vehicle and turn it off. Tighten the fuel cap (4 turns).
4. Start the vehicle, and drive. Check Fuel Cap message will disappear (eventually).
5. MIL will stay on for about 3 days and go away after.

akhenax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: