EX-L Anti-Theft Alarm system question ? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 AM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default EX-L Anti-Theft Alarm system question ?

Anyone have ideas about how actually the anti-theft alarm works in the EX ?

When i lock the Pilot and the red light near the CD Player and the driver-door start blinking, I presume the alarm is activated. When I unlock the vehicle with the key, no alarm sounded or anything. Does the opening of the door with the key turn the alarm off ? I am wondering how does it go off and wanted to see how that sounded.

On my Accord, if the alarm was enabled and if I tried opening the door with the key (without turning the alarm off on the remote), you hear that alarm sound.

I am sure there is something I am not doing right. Instead of reading the manual or calling the dealer, I thought I would check here first.
03pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2002, 07:53 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: EX-L Anti-Theft Alarm system question ?

Great minds think alike, 03 - my mutant man-gene won't let me read the manual either .

Looking forward to finding out about the alarm system........from the good folks on this forum.

Quote:
Originally posted by 03pilot
Anyone have ideas about how actually the anti-theft alarm works in the EX ?

When i lock the Pilot and the red light near the CD Player and the driver-door start blinking, I presume the alarm is activated. When I unlock the vehicle with the key, no alarm sounded or anything. Does the opening of the door with the key turn the alarm off ? I am wondering how does it go off and wanted to see how that sounded.

On my Accord, if the alarm was enabled and if I tried opening the door with the key (without turning the alarm off on the remote), you hear that alarm sound.

I am sure there is something I am not doing right. Instead of reading the manual or calling the dealer, I thought I would check here first.
pjl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 02:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

I read the manual. Don't ask me why, I'm still not sure.

The manual says that the alarm system automatically engages when the Pilot is locked, either with the remote or the key, and automatically disarms when unlocked, either with the remote or with the key. I imagine that this works because the key has the anti-theft chip in it that also prevents the engine from starting without it, but I'm not sure about that.

I gather that you may not need to press the remote the second time and get the horn to sound in order to engage the alarm system, but that was added simply as reassurance.

If I'm reading that right, it means that the only way you can get to hear what the alarm sounds like would be (1) to break in yourself or (2) push the panic button on the remote. Me, I'd recommend (2).
Old 06-16-2002, 04:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good summary, PP. I wonder if the manual is not more specific so as to prevent it from providing the info to the thief?

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot Pilot
I read the manual. Don't ask me why, I'm still not sure.

The manual says that the alarm system automatically engages when the Pilot is locked, either with the remote or the key, and automatically disarms when unlocked, either with the remote or with the key. I imagine that this works because the key has the anti-theft chip in it that also prevents the engine from starting without it, but I'm not sure about that.

I gather that you may not need to press the remote the second time and get the horn to sound in order to engage the alarm system, but that was added simply as reassurance.

If I'm reading that right, it means that the only way you can get to hear what the alarm sounds like would be (1) to break in yourself or (2) push the panic button on the remote. Me, I'd recommend (2).
pjl56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 06:00 PM   #5 (permalink)

Wink RE: Alarm...

For a quick and easy yet not so expensive way to test the alarm:

-Open the window to one of the doors
-Exit the PILOT
-Arm the Alarm System (waiting the alotted time so the system can arm)
-Then reach inside the truck opening the door from the inside handle!

Sit back and watch the fireworks (horn alarm)!!
silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Excellent suggestion, Silverman. I would have posted it myself but it wasn't in the manual.
Old 06-16-2002, 09:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: RE: Alarm...

So, when the vehicle is armed and if you open the door with the key, that would automatically disarm the anti-theft ?

Thanks and I will try that suggestion silverman.

Quote:
Originally posted by silverman

-Exit the PILOT

03pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, it wouldn't disarm the anti-theft system, just the alarm. The "anti theft" is built into the key and the ignition system. When you turn the key in the ignition lock cylinder, there is an electronic control module that interrogates the key for the proper digital code. If the key in the ignition lock cylinder doesn't send back the proper code, then the module tells the ignition system, fuel pump, etc. to shut down. The interrogation is done through radio signals and does not depend on the mechanical cuts in the side of the key. Those are there only to allow the key to be inserted into the igntion lock cylinder. As sophisticated as it is, none of this can stop an unethical tow truck driver. There are also other methods that I won't discusss here. And to answer the inevitable question, I'm an insurance fraud investigator.
glider pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 07:28 PM   #9 (permalink)

Default Re: RE: Alarm...

Quote:
Originally posted by silverman

-Exit the PILOT

You could even sit inside the car with the key out of ignition (If key is in the ignition, alarm will not set) set the alarm. Now open the driver's side door.

2003 EX <font color="#948473">Sandstone</font>, Runningboards, Rear Splash Guard, Cargo Organizer, Crossbars
HiFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 01:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

glider pilot,

I have asked this on other forums but have never received an answer. How effective are the current anti-theft systems with the chips in the keys? I understand that is next to impossible to stop a true pro, all you can do is make it more difficult. Have pros found other ways around them besides tow trucks? I'm not asking you to divulge secrets, just general answers.
pjb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2003, 09:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

pjb3,

Some of the transponder systems are better than others. Some require specialized, expensive, electronic equipment to steal them. Others have left some pretty easy bypass solutions, possibly intentionally, that require no equipment. In general, it IS getting more difficult for the "joy rider" to take transponder equipped vehicles. But if you are in the business of exporting high-dollar SUV's to 3rd world countries with unpaved mud roads, purchasing the equipment to steal those vehicles is not such a big consideration. However, post 9-11 port security/shipping container inspections have been stepped up and have been making life harder for those organizations as well. In my opinion, locating devices, either GPS based or radio triangulation (LOJACk) really complete the anti-theft systems, although there are some ways around these as well. The nice thing about locating devices are that the cops can often catch the thieves with the vehicle. But then, many of the organized theft rings recruit juveniles, who escape jail time.
glider pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2003, 01:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

glider pilot

Thanks for the answer.
pjb3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 03:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by glider pilot
No, it wouldn't disarm the anti-theft system, just the alarm. The "anti theft" is built into the key and the ignition system. When you turn the key in the ignition lock cylinder, there is an electronic control module that interrogates the key for the proper digital code. If the key in the ignition lock cylinder doesn't send back the proper code, then the module tells the ignition system, fuel pump, etc. to shut down. The interrogation is done through radio signals and does not depend on the mechanical cuts in the side of the key. Those are there only to allow the key to be inserted into the igntion lock cylinder. As sophisticated as it is, none of this can stop an unethical tow truck driver. There are also other methods that I won't discusss here. And to answer the inevitable question, I'm an insurance fraud investigator.
Do you think after market alarms are significantly better than the factory ones?.... please reference...
Pilot Factory Security System
Note: If you want to be sure I see a post either quote a message from me or put - florida_guy - somewhere in the body of the post so it shows up when I search. I am trying to stay active without spending too much time here.

'03 Pilot EX Sandstone Metallic

Options:
Cargo Cover
OEM Hitch
StreetPilot 2610
Sportsworks Transport Bike Carrier
florida_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default alarm

Just a hint, the Pilot alarm does not sound when the car is broken into, only if the door is opned. I found out the hard way.
dicksproul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2003, 04:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
'da Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ramirami
Default Re: alarm

Quote:
Originally posted by dicksproul
Just a hint, the Pilot alarm does not sound when the car is broken into, only if the door is opned. I found out the hard way.
oops...is everything fine...did you lose something ??

2005 Blue Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0

2011 Black Audi Q5 2.0T
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: