Civic Recmd Maintenance - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-30-2005, 11:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Civic Recmd Maintenance

Yeah, I know its not a Pilot but its our family's first Honda and I know and trust you folks so I am coming to you for your opinion.

Daughter in college has a 2000 Civic we bought used with 27,000 miles on it Nov 2003. She took it to the local Firestone dealer for Oil, Filter, Lube and get brakes checked (she thought they were making a sound and I said it might be the wear indicators.)

Brakes were ok. OFL done but they also made some recommendations as follows:

1. Premium Tune-up pkg 4 cyl $137.98
Labor $42.03
EK-10T Ever-Wear 3 Step Fuel System
cleaner $39.99
Fuel System Labor $40.00
4312 Platinum Plugs 4 $3.99

2. Brake system flush $59.99
Fluid $17.99
Labor $42.00

3. Clean, lube and adjust brakes $15.00

4. Cooling system flush with new antifreeze $69.99
Radiator System flush chemical $15.00
Complete flush $47.00
Anti-freeze gallon $7.99

5. Transmission Fluid flush $119.74
Trans Service flush Kit $9.99
Labor $50.00
Waste Oil disposal fee $2.00
Versa Trans ATF Qt - 11 $ 5.25.

Total $402.69

She loves the car and says she will keep it forever. I want to take good care of it for her but some of these things I have never done on my Fords or Chevys and they did ok.

My thoughts: EK-10T Wear Ever 3 Step Fuel ssytem cleaner $50 ???? Seems I could pick up some fuel cleaner from Autoparts and do it myself.

Brakes - don't work on brakes (want somebody else liable for mistakes) but I have never had brake fluid replaced. Is this necessary? At this mileage?

Clean and adjust brakes - OK

Cooling system flush - Couldn't I do that myself for leess than $69.99

Don't know, what do you folks think?

Before Jay gets here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg p1010334.jpg (106.7 KB, 1371 views)
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Sportymonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2005, 12:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via ICQ to cwa107
Default Re: Civic Recmd Maintenance

Quote:
Originally posted by Sportymonk
Yeah, I know its not a Pilot but its our family's first Honda and I know and trust you folks so I am coming to you for your opinion.

Daughter in college has a 2000 Civic we bought used with 27,000 miles on it Nov 2003. She took it to the local Firestone dealer for Oil, Filter, Lube and get brakes checked (she thought they were making a sound and I said it might be the wear indicators.)

Brakes were ok. OFL done but they also made some recommendations as follows:

1. Premium Tune-up pkg 4 cyl $137.98
Labor $42.03
EK-10T Ever-Wear 3 Step Fuel System
cleaner $39.99
Fuel System Labor $40.00
4312 Platinum Plugs 4 $3.99

At 27K? No way. This vehicle doesn't require a tune-up until 100K miles. I'm sure that's a great fuel system cleaner, but you'll probably do just as well with a can of STP fuel system cleaner once a month at $1 per can.

A professional fuel system cleaner just isn't necessary at this mileage IMHO.

Quote:
2. Brake system flush $59.99
Fluid $17.99
Labor $42.00
Why? They said there's nothing wrong with the brakes. Why would they need to fix something that isn't broken?

Quote:

3. Clean, lube and adjust brakes $15.00

Huh? [SARCASM]Wouldn't that be included in the $42 labor they were to charge you to flush the brake system? Oh wait, it would take quite awhile to "lubricate" those brakes which can't be lubricated and to adjust the self-adjusting brakes on the Civic. [/SARCASM]

Quote:

4. Cooling system flush with new antifreeze $69.99
Radiator System flush chemical $15.00
Complete flush $47.00
Anti-freeze gallon $7.99
Again, more redundant charges. I believe Jiffy Lube will flush and fill the cooling system for $69 with no other charges - if you feel it's necessary at this time. Personally, I'd follow Honda's maintenance schedule which I believe calls for this at 35K if I'm not mistaken.

Quote:

5. Transmission Fluid flush $119.74
Trans Service flush Kit $9.99
Labor $50.00
Waste Oil disposal fee $2.00
Versa Trans ATF Qt - 11 $ 5.25.

I'd let the Honda dealer do this. Again, I don't think this is due yet. Also, my understanding is that Honda won't honor the warranty unless you use their ATF, in addition, they don't use regular Dexron/Mercon-compatible ATF.

Quote:

Total $402.69

She loves the car and says she will keep it forever. I want to take good care of it for her but some of these things I have never done on my Fords or Chevys and they did ok.

My thoughts: EK-10T Wear Ever 3 Step Fuel ssytem cleaner $50 ???? Seems I could pick up some fuel cleaner from Autoparts and do it myself.

Brakes - don't work on brakes (want somebody else liable for mistakes) but I have never had brake fluid replaced. Is this necessary? At this mileage?

Clean and adjust brakes - OK

Cooling system flush - Couldn't I do that myself for leess than $69.99

Don't know, what do you folks think?

Before Jay gets here
Personally, I think they saw your daughter coming. I'd hate to think that a large chain would take advantage like this, but it wouldn't be the first time I'd heard of it.

To be honest, I'd take it to the local Honda dealer and get it caught up with Honda's recommended maintenance schedule. This way you're maintaining the warranty and you're only paying for what you need. I think it would actually be cheaper for you to go this route.

2010 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD (traded)

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium - Ruby Red Pearl

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (traded)
cwa107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 12:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
iglesias is my evil twin

I went to Jiffy Lube once in a pinch and I doubt I'll go back. They pulled the same thing on me. Even recommended a brake system flush on what was actually a fuel line. $9+labor for a PCV valve that I got at Kragen for $3 and had my dad install in 30 seconds. (can you tell I'm a little bitter?)

I have a '95 Civic with close to 158k. With only 27k don't bother with anything major, that car is practically brand new. The owner's manual lays out recommended services and fluid changes. If your daughter has time over the summer you might help her figure out the month and year things like belts and transmission fluid will need to be changed based on her mileage so she can have a head's up.

To be honest, a lot of that stuff you can do by yourself in an afternoon. Might be a good time for your daughter to learn how to do basic vehicle maintenence if she doesn't know already. If I can do it you can. The radiator flush is very simple, as is replacing the brake fluid. The brake adjustment sounds fairly reasonable, it was $30 to get my brakes adjusted when they had issues after a pad change, but it doesn't seem necessary at this point if her brakes are ok. She'll know when they're wearing out, as it'll take longer to stop and they'll squeel like a pig, especially on cold mornings.

I wouldn't let anyone other than a Honda stealer or a transmission-only shop touch my transmission. 'nuff said. I would also take it to an A/C shop for the air conditioning. I've read that Civics have crummy A/C units and it's important to keep then properly maintained by someone who knows what they're doing. A service is around $60-$70. It's in the neighborhood of $800-$1000 to replace the unit BTDT and I know plenty of other people who have no A/C in their Civics right now because of that.

You've gotten good advice from the other posters.
shellebelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 06:48 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Oooppps, I left out one detail. The Civic currently has 60,000 miles on it, not 27,000 (the purchase mileage. Sorry, late night typing does it everytime.
2005 Steel Blue Metallic EX-L with iPod P.I.E. X3 interface (keeps the cd changer!!), LED lights in doors and overhead, tow package, cargo shield, crossbars (self installed), WWongs stuff, cargo liner, extended warranty. All but the tow pkg at great saving through our sponsor hondacuraworld.
17 - 24 MPG with mileage removed for both the best and the worst atypical mileages. 183,000 miles since June 29, 2005
Old 05-31-2005, 08:11 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Oooppps, I left out one detail. The Civic currently has 60,000 miles on it, not 27,000 (the purchase mileage. Sorry, late night typing does it everytime.
So I guess the question now is what maintenance has been done in that time and miles? 33k is alot of miles in that period of time, where has the vehicle been taken for routine maint before?

OEM Accessories: All-Weather Floor Mats, Cargo Tray, Cross Bars, Door Visors, Hitch, Rear Splash Guards, Wheel Locks, Full Size Spare, Fog Lights, Fog Light Film, Black Side Steps

Non-OEM Accessories: Tinted Windows, 3M Pilot Pads, Thule 998 Trailblazer Bike Rack, Hardwired Passport 8500, Sirius Audiovox PNP3 Receiver, Panoramic Rear View Mirror, Blind Spot Safety Mirrors
BigDogDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm surprised no one has said this in a more blunt way.

Who the heck cares what Firestone says, just follow the regular scheduled maintenance for the Civic.
pulsar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 05:41 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Do I hear an echo?

Old 05-31-2005, 06:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Regular rountine maintenance has been done. OFL, Tire rotation. Daughter is away at college, will try to get her to send me a copy of the maintenance schedule. All this started when she took it in and then called me for my opinion.
Old 05-31-2005, 07:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Regular rountine maintenance has been done. OFL, Tire rotation. Daughter is away at college, will try to get her to send me a copy of the maintenance schedule. All this started when she took it in and then called me for my opinion.
I'd recommend against bringing it back to that particular Firestone. Sounds like a bunch of con-artists.

Old 05-31-2005, 08:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Honda recommends a brake fluid change at 3 year intervals, regardless of mileage, for the Pilot. I'd bet it's the same across the line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg attachment.php.jpg (79.4 KB, 1415 views)
Old 05-31-2005, 08:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
'da Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to ramirami

Quote:
Originally posted by cwa107

Sounds like a bunch of con-artists.
are'nt they all...probably a franchise...as honest as the owner

2005 Blue Audi A4 Cabriolet 3.0

2011 Black Audi Q5 2.0T
ramirami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 08:38 PM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ramirami

are'nt they all...probably a franchise...as honest as the owner
Unfortunately, that's the perception that is generated by butt-heads like these. There's a lot of honest mechanics out there, it's just a matter of finding one.

I find that the independent privately owned shops are usually more honest. Mostly because it's their personal reputation on the line.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Thanks to all, especially Jay for the Maintenance manual page. I had a suspicion about some of these things but like I said, hers is the first Honda and Honda does do things idfferently sometimes like they have their own fluids etc.

Just wanted to make sure.

Thanks, that's why I came here, knew I could count on y'all.

Sporty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: