Road Noise? - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #16 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote, Consumer Reports 2005 Buying Guide: "Although quite overall, ROAD NOISE is pronounced".

I drove two different Pilot's before I purchased mine. One had Goodyear tires, it was noisy. I purchased one that came with Bridgestones, still noisy. I dumped the new Bridgestones and bought a set of Cross Terrains', a tiny bit better but still noisy. I'm speaking of ROAD noise, noise coming through the wheel wells, not wind or engine noise. On less than smooth pavement my Pilot is far too noisy for the quality vehicle it is.
jdeanski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2005, 12:31 AM   #17 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via ICQ to cwa107

Ya know, I was riding home from the in-law's (about 35 highway miles) in my wife's '03 Corolla S this evening and thinking about this thread. Not that you wouldn't expect it in a vehicle of that class, but the Corolla is a heck of a lot louder than the Pilot. But it didn't really phase me too much. Maybe I'm not as sensitive to it as some?

2010 Honda Pilot EX-L 4WD (traded)

2010 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium - Ruby Red Pearl

2005 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (traded)
cwa107 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 12:35 AM   #18 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

One of the reasons I liked the Pilot was because it was quiet to me. I came over from the Explorer. I now think it is even quieter since I took the snow tires off.
I guess this is very subjective.
Honda CB900C '82 sold
Honda CM400E '80
Sunday Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-28-2005, 12:55 AM   #19 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

For those of you that are interested, see the poll I just posted:

Road noise

Old 05-31-2005, 10:45 PM   #20 (permalink)

My 05 pilot has the loudest road noise of any vehicle I can remember. I've had 4Runners, & Explorer. Others were BMW's & Volvos. I know we shouldn't compare to the cars. But on rough asphalt surfaces, the road roar is very noticeable. Maybe the goodyear invictas are the source? On fresh or smooth asphalt the roar is significantly less.
We love everything else about our pilot. (W also test drove the MDX, and didn't notice any road noise).
Randall Kruger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 08:35 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Randall Kruger
My 05 pilot has the loudest road noise of any vehicle I can remember. I've had 4Runners, & Explorer. Others were BMW's & Volvos. I know we shouldn't compare to the cars. But on rough asphalt surfaces, the road roar is very noticeable. Maybe the goodyear invictas are the source? On fresh or smooth asphalt the roar is significantly less.
We love everything else about our pilot. (W also test drove the MDX, and didn't notice any road noise).
I have exactly the same opinion of my '04.
Rear mud guards
Fewer creaks and rattles than new but still annoying
johnabrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2005, 08:36 PM   #22 (permalink)

Whoooo ... two stars!
Rear mud guards
Fewer creaks and rattles than new but still annoying
johnabrown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 09:54 AM   #23 (permalink)

I have to say I'm really shocked at all of the people who have noisy Pilots. My Pilot is extremely quiet, even compared to most cars I've owned (as opposed to SUVs). I have to wonder if there's an alignment issue with some Pilots comiong out of the factory. Or perhaps it's a matter of where you live and the predominant road surface in your area. All I can say is, my Pilot is whisper quiet.
Old 06-02-2005, 11:46 AM   #24 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Balmer
I have to say I'm really shocked at all of the people who have noisy Pilots. My Pilot is extremely quiet, even compared to most cars I've owned (as opposed to SUVs). I have to wonder if there's an alignment issue with some Pilots comiong out of the factory. Or perhaps it's a matter of where you live and the predominant road surface in your area. All I can say is, my Pilot is whisper quiet.
Ditto... I have been riding around this past week with the stereo off to really listen to the road noise in all kinds of conditions and on different surfaces. Maybe our roads in So Cal are in better shape but with the GoodYears that came with my 05 I have no complaints at all, in fact I would consider putting a higher end sound system into it because of how quiet the interior is on the road. My 94 2500-Suburban, 90 Explorer were all magnitudes louder, but an unfair comparrison as they are at least 10 years older.
CMasten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 02:33 PM   #25 (permalink)

Default Road Noise Louder, or ...

Or is the engine and wind noise so low, the road noise is more pronounced? I'd say I notice the road noise, but it's still very quiet (coming from a Camry). Have a '99 Oddy which sounds like a noise factory by comparison.
mthomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #26 (permalink)

What tire pressure are you noisy guys running? Coming home from the tire shop yesterday (after I got the Pirelli Scorpion's mounted), I noticed a bunch of road noise. Turns out they had the pressure up near 40psi. Down around 36psi things are much quieter...
stiles_s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 11:00 PM   #27 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by stiles_s
What tire pressure are you noisy guys running? Coming home from the tire shop yesterday (after I got the Pirelli Scorpion's mounted), I noticed a bunch of road noise. Turns out they had the pressure up near 40psi. Down around 36psi things are much quieter...
38psi on the Bridgestones.

Old 06-02-2005, 11:15 PM   #28 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

The Pilot is much quieter than our Accord. I think much of the Accord noise has to do with the 16" Michelin MXV4s. Great tires, but very noisy. Got 55K mile out of them and replaced them with the same $$$ tires.

The Pilot just passed 20K miles, and I can't wait for the tires to wear so I can replace them with a better tire. I think I will get the Forteras. Next door neighbor is a Goodyear Exec and has cards for 20% additional off any sale price . The vehicle is fairly quiet, but I catch myself in the garage after starting the car thinking "there's no way I was listening to the stereo that loud."
mgorbsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-02-2005, 11:53 PM   #29 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mgorbsk
The Pilot is much quieter than our Accord. I think much of the Accord noise has to do with the 16" Michelin MXV4s. Great tires, but very noisy. Got 55K mile out of them and replaced them with the same $$$ tires.

SNIP"
Really?? LOL! I had an 02 Accord with the Michellin MXV4+ (granted, this was a 4-cyl 5-spd EX and these were 15-inch tires). But I thought those tires were completely worthless in anything but dry weather, but were exceptionally quiet and smooth riding!

I replaced them with Falken Ziex(?) tires which were the cheapest I could find in that size and noticed that the Accord was a good deal louder than it had been (but handled better and could be driven in adverse weather).

I still think the Pilot is louder on the highway than the Accord, but it's easily quieter than any other vehicle I've owned.

Old 06-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #30 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bill Balmer
Seriously, I feel exactly the same way. I do note a bit of wind noise from time to time, but nothing ever more than a dull roar. Not like other cars where I felt the need to raise my voice to have a conversation.... and here in PA, we have some of the crappiest road surfaces in the country. (they insist on using concrete for everything for some reason).

Now, granted, this is no Mercedes-Benz or even as quiet as a good high-end sedan, but I can't imagine be annoyed by it. Certainly it's comparable to other SUVs I've driven.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: