Need Pinout details for the 14 pin CD Changer connector - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 06-15-2004, 04:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Need Pinout details for the 14 pin CD Changer connector

Does anybody have the pinout details for the 14 pin connector that is for a CD changer (on the Honda OEM head unit)? It is also referred to as an Audio auxiliary connector it seems.

It is the connector circled in red in the 1st message/ picture in the thread:

<http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/s...=&threadid=8320>

Could you please post the info. to the list or PM me? I want to see if I can rig-up a simple aux input without the use of a Blitzsafe connector.

Thanks

(PS. I have already asked KPD151 & John802)
ChipUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2004, 05:22 PM   #2 (permalink)
Le Moderator™ Ranger®

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe

Unfortunately, no...

...the 2003 Service Manual (pages 22-264 thru 22-265) has the pinouts for the 20-pin connector, the 16-pin connector, and the 22-pin connector, but NOT the 14-pin connector that you need.
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:47 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the clarification Kemo. Was it the electrical service manual or the mechanical (there are two aren't there?)? My searches on the Internet haven't yielded anything yet. I found the pinouts for the 8 pin M-Bus (Alpine) connector but that doesn't help.

Going by the Blitzsafe compatibility guide, the 14 pin aux audio connector is standard on many Honda/Acura models though (99 onwards). May be some other service manual has the info I am looking for. Anybody has access to service manuals for other recent Honda/Acura models?

Thanks
Old 06-16-2004, 04:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Le Moderator™ Ranger®

I got the above info from the 2003 Honda Pilot Service Manual, not the 2003 Pilot Electrical Trouble Shooting Manual...

...perhaps N_Jay can try and see if the info is in the ETM -- I know he has a copy of it (I don't).
Old 06-16-2004, 05:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

I have the 2000 service manual for Accord and a 2002 service manual for TL and it doesn't show the details on the 14 pin connector.

-john

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:08 PM   #6 (permalink)
2003 SS EX-L RES

Send a message via AIM to SteveLuman Send a message via Yahoo to SteveLuman

A1 CH 1, front left dash speaker (+)
A2 CH 1, front left dash speaker (-)
A3 power antenna (+)
A4 GN-BN battery (+)
A5 not used
A6 ground
A7 CH 2, front right dash speaker (+)
A8 CH 2, front right dash speaker (-)
A9 not used
A10 0.75 rheostat (+)
A11 not used
A12 battery (+)
A13 accessory (key-ignition +12v)
A14 ground

?????????????/
SteveLuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 07:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

SteveLuman - Great... Where did you find the details for the 14 pin connector?

-john

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

Old 06-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
2003 SS EX-L RES

Quote:
Originally posted by john802
SteveLuman - Great... Where did you find the details for the 14 pin connector?

-john
Just a little browsing. I'm not sure if this is correct. So, wire at your own risk. If it works, I will take the credit.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Le Moderator™ Ranger®

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveLuman

Just a little browsing. I'm not sure if this is correct. So, wire at your own risk. If it works, I will take the credit.
If it works, you take the credit.

If it doesn't work, you take the blame.

Can't have it just one way...

Old 06-16-2004, 11:29 PM   #10 (permalink)
2003 SS EX-L RES

Quote:
Originally posted by kemosabe

If it works, you take the credit.

If it doesn't work, you take the blame.

Can't have it just one way...

Sure I can!!!
Old 06-17-2004, 10:56 AM   #11 (permalink)

Steve,

Thanks for your effort. From what I know, this pin out doesn't sound right (pun intended) though . My reasons are as follows:

1)Having hand wired a couple of car radio harnesses, this looks like a typical stereo head unit pinout - with the antenna, battery, and aux power pins being give aways.

2)A typical car CD changer doesn't have enough power to drive any speakers. It probably outputs at line level.

3) Reading about the M-bus interfaces (such as a Blitzsafe), these are protocol converters not just audio signal processors. The word "bus" in the name suggests some kind of hand-shake going on between the two devices along with other control signal information. None of the pin names show any indication of bus signals.

Now you will say how I was going to overcome that? What I am hoping to find is one the 14 pin side of the head unit & not on the M-bus side. Reading about how the head unit responds to the CD changer switch while choosing the changer or aux input, it appears that there may be a way to input an Aux channel (without the need for an elaborate software based handshake). There may be a pin which with a simple logic high (or low) tells the head unit that an aux input is present and available for selection.

If my hypothesis above is correct, I will be able to rig up some simple aux only input. I understand analog & simple ldigital logic circuitry. I have no intention (or skills) to decipher the M-bus or AI-net protocols.

Thanks for your inputs so far guys. I will keep looking until I buy an iPod or something. If nothing is found by then, I may have to invest in a Blitzsafe.

=================================

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveLuman
A1 CH 1, front left dash speaker (+)
A2 CH 1, front left dash speaker (-)
A3 power antenna (+)
A4 GN-BN battery (+)
A5 not used
A6 ground
A7 CH 2, front right dash speaker (+)
A8 CH 2, front right dash speaker (-)
A9 not used
A10 0.75 rheostat (+)
A11 not used
A12 battery (+)
A13 accessory (key-ignition +12v)
A14 ground

?????????????/
Old 06-17-2004, 12:26 PM   #12 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

ChipUser - I ask my cousin who is a electronic engineer by trade about the 14 pin bus connector and he gave me this list. The only pin he is not sure is pin #14.
Attached Files
File Type: txt 14 pin audio bus connector.txt (228 Bytes, 880 views)

Old 06-17-2004, 01:01 PM   #13 (permalink)

John802,

This could be it. Thanks. Looking at the names of pins, following look promising:

My first guesses -

Pin 2 - Gnd
Pin 6 - A GRD (analog ground?)
Pin 8 - right channel
Pin 12 - Left channel

Looks like the pin names end in a C or H to indicate where the signal is coming from - Changer or Head unit. Something like....

Pin 1 - Request from head unit
Pin 3 - could be for signaling battery voltage availability
Pin 9 - Data from changer

and so on.

Now I will have to figure out if there is a logic pin/signal that tells the head unit the availability of an aux input. Come to think of it, it could be the pin 14 - request from Auxiliary channel.

Does your cousin have more information available about the interface? It could be helpful. Where did he find this list?

This definitely gives me something to play with though.
Old 06-17-2004, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

I'll try to get more info from him tonight and I'll let you know...

-john

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: