Wireless video (streaming to tablets) - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wireless video (streaming to tablets)

I am a heavy Audio / Visual guy and it was hard for me to break from the norm but after moving from the Honda Odyssey and Honda Pilot, I have also departed from running Extron RGBHV cable, headrest monitors (in the accord) and overhead monitors (in the odyssey) to keep the kids entertained in the car.

This time I decided to try and make a leap into a new realm and buy the Corsair Voyager Air. While it has a few obstacles for me to overcome it boasts a 1TB hard drive, battery and functions as a WiFi, USB 3.0 and NAS drive.

The tablets that I use have the Corsair Voyager Air Software loaded and connect via WiFi when on the road.

I then launch the Corsair App and locate the the DVD I want to watch which then launches the MX Player on the tablets.

The tablets are mounted to the headrest using a set of headrest mounts I got off of Amazon.

The obstacles to overcome now are:
1) How to make it automatically go through the numerical sequence of the vob files
2) Determine if there is a way to set up a stream so they all get the same video at the same time

I will post pictures soon but so far so good.

In the house I have been able to stream to three tablets and a laptop all in HD at the same time with no real lag issues.

Now that it is warming up a real road trip will be the real test.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 08:57 AM Thread Starter

I wanted to pass along links while I wait for parts

Corsair Voyager Air:
Voyager Air Portable Wireless Drive

MX Player:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...layer.ad&hl=en

More info (came across this morning and is a great resource):
http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=116434

Last edited by gigageek; 02-23-2014 at 09:15 AM.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-10-2014, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

OK finally some pictures but outside the car but it works just the same. It's hard to find a warm day when I am not working on something and the kids don't have their tablets but one day I wll get a pic of the units in the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3493.JPG
Views:	411
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	49194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3496.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	49202   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3497.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	49210   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3498.JPG
Views:	418
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	49218   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3502.JPG
Views:	428
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	49226  

Name:	IMG_3512.JPG
Views:	458
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	49234  

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 01:39 PM

Why not just let them have their tablets and do with them as they wish? I got a Jetpack for 4G internet if necessary. My daughters never can agree on what to watch. On long trips, one might be reading or playing a game, another web surfing or streaming toons from youtube.

'13 EX AWD
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 05:30 PM

Looks like an interesting device. Looking forward to hearing how well it works. Can it stream different videos to different devices simultaneously? If so, I might just pick one up.

There's an iOS app for it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cors...650718402?mt=8

2007 Pilot EX-L AWD Nav Nimbus Grey, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Cargo Cover, WWong's pads, Blitzsafe Aux Input & Sirius Starbase, Splash Guards, Subframe Braces, DEI 452T auto door lock mod, Fumoto drain valve, Parrot 3200 Bluetooth, Polk db651s & db651, Michelin LTX M/S2

1999 F-250SD XLT SC 4x4 Black & Silver, Stainless Running Boards, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Sirius
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 07:57 PM

I have found another device which is pretty good for the wireless streaming. This device can stream HD level video simultaneously to multiple tablets. I have test two at the same time without issue. Btw you can download the iOS or the Andriod app for that make streaming quite seamless.

Here is the link. Inexpensive as well versatile to add storage as desired.
You can use an SD card whch I have done but you can also add a portable HDD. To boot it can also act as a battery pack if needed and it has already some handy when I ran out of a battery on a recent trip.

Amazon.com: [5-in-1] RAVPower® FileHub Wireless SD Card Reader with 3000mAh Backup Battery, Wireless Mobile Storage Media Sharing, WLAN Hot Spot & NAS File Server: Kindle Store
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorrpio View Post
Why not just let them have their tablets and do with them as they wish? I got a Jetpack for 4G internet if necessary. My daughters never can agree on what to watch. On long trips, one might be reading or playing a game, another web surfing or streaming toons from youtube.
That would be fine as well but I give enough money to ATT. I have unlimited data and I also use my phone as WiFi hotspot and share devices on my phone as it is. That would allow them to do Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu Plus and anything else on the web, but I like knowing that with the Voyager that I have the full HD movie at their fingertips and not worry about having to enable the hotspot or if I have reception, how much data I am sucking up on my phone, etc.

With the Voyager I can also stream up to five HD videos at the same time.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macphanatic View Post
Looks like an interesting device. Looking forward to hearing how well it works. Can it stream different videos to different devices simultaneously? If so, I might just pick one up.

There's an iOS app for it: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/cors...650718402?mt=8

It can stream up to five HD movies. I think in my posting I showed three but I have done up to four.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-13-2014, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamabazi View Post
I have found another device which is pretty good for the wireless streaming. This device can stream HD level video simultaneously to multiple tablets. I have test two at the same time without issue. Btw you can download the iOS or the Andriod app for that make streaming quite seamless.

Here is the link. Inexpensive as well versatile to add storage as desired.
You can use an SD card whch I have done but you can also add a portable HDD. To boot it can also act as a battery pack if needed and it has already some handy when I ran out of a battery on a recent trip.

Amazon.com: [5-in-1] RAVPower® FileHub Wireless SD Card Reader with 3000mAh Backup Battery, Wireless Mobile Storage Media Sharing, WLAN Hot Spot & NAS File Server: Kindle Store
Looks like a cool device. I may pick up for another project. I have their car/wall charger but never saw this.

Do you happen to know the max capacity of the following devices it will support:
1) SD card
2) USB Hard Drive
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-15-2014, 10:37 PM Thread Starter

Finally pics of tablets in car with four different HD movies being streamed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3608.JPG
Views:	616
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	49337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3597.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	49345  
post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 09:34 AM

File Types

gigageek - have you any experience with .mkv files? I am attempting to see how well .mkv files will stream via wifi to my iPad using these apps and it doesn't seem to work very well, regardless of the size. .MP4s work just fine. Before I decide on the Corsair vs. another device, I just wanted some input on what file types you have found work best.
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaPilot View Post
gigageek - have you any experience with .mkv files? I am attempting to see how well .mkv files will stream via wifi to my iPad using these apps and it doesn't seem to work very well, regardless of the size. .MP4s work just fine. Before I decide on the Corsair vs. another device, I just wanted some input on what file types you have found work best.

I have not tried mkv or mp4 yet but I will test and report back asap
post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-20-2014, 11:27 AM

Thanks!
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-23-2014, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

I finally put a mkv and mp4 on the drive and it worked but not able to test long enought with multiple tablets. I also only have access to nooks and lenovo android tablets but can test streaming them to laptop as well and report back.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-25-2014, 06:29 PM

Nice setup!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: