Wireless video (streaming to tablets) - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:03 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by gigageek View Post
Looks like a cool device. I may pick up for another project. I have their car/wall charger but never saw this.

Do you happen to know the max capacity of the following devices it will support:
1) SD card
2) USB Hard Drive
I am using the 32GB SD card but my understanding is it can go max to 64GB.
For HDD I have used a 120GB HDD but I have read people using 500GB portable HDD,

Also it does state it can stream up to 5 devices, I have only tried 2 simultaneously.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-31-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamabazi View Post
I am using the 32GB SD card but my understanding is it can go max to 64GB.
For HDD I have used a 120GB HDD but I have read people using 500GB portable HDD,

Also it does state it can stream up to 5 devices, I have only tried 2 simultaneously.
I am using it with a 1TB drive and a 32 GB SD card. So far, 5 streams at once with MP4 and M4V files on an iPad 1, an iPad Mini, iPad 3, a Nexus 7 android tablet and my iPhone. Regardless of whether your device or app will play .mkv or .avi files, it won't work well in my experience for those file types. I really wanted it to play those files, because everything that I already have is in those two file types. But I have found that it plays best when you use MP4 or M4V files and I have begun converting my movies and cartoons for the kids with Handbrake. It's simple to use, but an added layer in the process of getting it to work. Now I'm looking to figure out how I can automate the conversion process when a new show or movie is downloaded and then have it automatically copy to the RAVPower's hard drive.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 06:55 PM

Quote:
But I have found that it plays best when you use MP4 or M4V files and I have begun converting my movies and cartoons for the kids with Handbrake. It's simple to use, but an added layer in the process of getting it to work. Now I'm looking to figure out how I can automate the conversion process when a new show or movie is downloaded and then have it automatically copy to the RAVPower's hard drive.
No. Don't use handbrake, at least not for most. Uses mkvtomp4 (free at videohelp webside)

handbrake will reencode video, taking a lot of time and losing quality. mkvtomp4 will simply change container, and if need be change audio codec to aac (if in ac3 etc). Assuming a mix of aac and ac3 mkvs, converting 50-100 90 minute 5gb mkv films can be batched overnight. You just select all in a folder and drag over to mkvtomp4.

you can use handbrake to convert to mp4 reduce size of 1080 15gb mkvs, and avi's, and any vob structure that wont play on your devices when brought over into their main memory . But don't use with otherwise.

If you plan one to two streams, just convert containers and set it to add a stereo aac, while leaving your dts or higher track also present. that wy those files remain fine for your home system as well. If you plan 3-4 users concurrent, in that case file that are over 720 or even file that are dts can cause stalling. I would go for a target of 5,000 Kbp for the audio and video combined. Remember also that all audio tracks will be served/streamed to the client so even if you have 4500kbps video plus a 300kbps audio aac, if you also have a 1,500kbps dts track containerized even when not selected, it is going to add load to your wifi throughput.

I had been running my old cars with a wdtv live going to two headrest monitors and 2.5" portable drives for about five years. WDTV can take anything so I had a mix of codecs and container video files like you probably have

About 18 months ago year I got a Seagate satellite wifi drive (latest model is called "Seagate wireless plus") and it works fine with the video streams. Four is a stretch for corsair and Seagate. If you need five streams just get two wifi drives, in my experience with both satellite and the newer Seagate, three 720p will get you from perfect playback to one or two 10 second instances of freeze/buffering per hour meaning that is max.

Unless you are all unlocked android or win on all our clients, you want to avoid the headaches and go with mp4. you don't need to jailbreak your ipads, ipods, iphones and kindles if you have mp4. Essentially the Seagate, or your corsair will be a network share, which is cleanest way to do this.

Last edited by 2004; 05-30-2014 at 07:13 PM.

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
The obstacles to overcome now are:
1) How to make it automatically go through the numerical sequence of the vob files.
vobs are low resolution (sd). if still in folders or isos with bup files, those I would handbrake to 480 mp4s with aac, as you can keep the resolution nicely and drop both storage and streaming load by 50%. it also means you are hardware decoding natively (better) on all devices instead of software decoding, side loaded or not.

And did you say elsewhere you are streaming 5 HD via wifi from a corsair? really? what throughput total because that is a stretch?
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-30-2014, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I have not had a chance to play with it recently but yes I am able to steam five HD at a time. I will see if I can find some pictures to support but I have no reason to make it up.

I have not tried handbrake but I will try later and report back.

When I did five streams it was a laptop and four tablets (nooks and lenvo)
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2014, 06:58 AM

Quote:
I have not had a chance to play with it recently but yes I am able to steam five HD at a time. I will see if I can find some pictures to support but I have no reason to make it up.

I have not tried handbrake but I will try later and report back.

When I did five streams it was a laptop and four tablets (nooks and lenvo)

I am not saying you are making it up. I don't need to see pics for you to prove it, I believe it is possible with certain very highly compressed HD content, specifically high compressed 720 with bitrate of 4000kbps or less with only aac . My rip of 300 is a standard hq hd resulting in a 13gb file and it runs about 17Mbps throughput. How are you going to even stream two of those wifi corsairs specs and the reported wifi speeds show you cant do that even with a single file never mind two or three files accessing simultaneously causing multi file caching so the heads can seek several files at once?

I am only saying "HD" can be anything, and five streams of typical 10Mbps per HD film is not possible so people should be careful abut their expectations.

Here are my recommendations for use with iphone/ipod/ipad, kindle fire, or android or win based tablets/phones:

Hardware storage: Seagate wireless plus or Corsair you mentioned

Software on client: ES file explorer, Avia, Mobi. All free apps

File types:

For open android (not kindle) and win: Mkv or mp4

For iphone/ipod/ipad, kindle: Mp4 with ACC

For more than two streaming clients concurrent, max of 4Mbps files, ie under 3GB file size per hour, 90 minute film under 5GB.

Even smaller is better.

Software for changing file types to Mp4:

If films are 720 and not super HQ, or you are not streaming more to than two devices, use "mkvtomp4" which can "recontainerize" Mkv to mp4 without recoding video. On default the program will create a ipod/ipad/iphone/kindle compliant aac audio track as well if needed. On a four core pc it can do 50 files easily overnight batch processed without any lose of resolution. You can containerize srt subs if you want.

If you also want to reduce file size and bitrate so you can handle more than one or two streams use handbrake. set to ipad quality, ie h264 mp4, 720p, 20 quality, aac. you can containerize any srt if you want. Handbrake will re-encode video no matter what you do. So batch processing will take about 10x longer per film than mkvtomp4.

With mkvtomp4 you can replace your old mkvs. with handbrake, since you will lose quality you want keep your original 1080p film/tv files since playback on a full size tv the handbraked files will show a clear inferiority.

Last edited by 2004; 05-31-2014 at 11:52 AM.
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-17-2015, 11:59 AM

Garage
Good info. Here are the links to the two programs mentioned, on videohelp.com, my old stomping grounds.

MkvToMp4 0.224

HandBrake 0.10.1

2006 EX-L w/RES (black)

Previous: 1999 Chevrolet Blazer (beige);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(green);
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(red);
, see avatar] (black);
(gray);
(blue);
(burgundy);
(fire engine red & midnight black)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: