2012 EXL Stereo Build - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #1 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 EXL Stereo Build

2012 EXL Stereo Build
This may sound extreme to some people, but I spend a lot of time behind the wheel. I have been known to drive 900 miles a day and listening to music just breaks up time.
The original plan was to keep the stock head unit (the cheap non-Navigational head unit) and just build on from there, so I installed the following:

Morel Hybrid 6 inch component speaker (fronts)
Morel Tempo 6" coax with external crossover (rear fill)
Audio Control LCQ-1 6 channel EQ factory interface module with accubass
Audio Control Matrix Plus 6-channel line driver
JL Audio HD 900/5 5 channel amplifier
JL Audio TW5 thin woofer

Basic Layout: The Morel drivers where mounted in the stock speakers locations. The JL Amp and Sub were mounted in the cubby/ headrest storage area. The JL Flat Sub is in a sealed box (just a bit smaller than JL recommends and yes it can pound out the bass).

After the installation and many hours tweaking the system overall sound was great except for two items.

FIRST: while the head unit was warming up/communicating with the rest of the Pilot you could hear and electronic noise through the newly installed drivers. After a few seconds of this noise it would clear up and sound good. This could have been overcome by a simple toggle switch, turning off the amp until the radio was up and running. I tried a delay turn on, but this would not delay the amp long enough so that idea was ditched. Auto Control also confirmed that the problem was with the Honda head unit and doubted that using a Clear Sweep would be any better.

SECOND: The stock head unit produced a “floor noise” that I could hear, the average person would say wow what a system. But I have had some fairly high end systems in the past I wanted that high end sound in the Pilot. This could not be overcome (I was asking just too much of the stock head unit).

My answer was to ditch the stock head unit in favor of a Kenwood KDC-X996 In-Dash CD Receiver and the Audio Control L QC. This unit has the navigation, time alignment and EQ settings to fine tune the system. The only problem was where to put it? The logical spot was where the stock unit is, so the disassembly started with a new custom made center dash. I hope to have this finished this weekend and will post pictures when done.

Last edited by Rocky; 01-23-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:14 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Front Drivers
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0982.jpg
Views:	2096
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	38727   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	1925
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	38728   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	1828
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	38729   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	1990
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	38730  
post #3 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Sub & Amp Rack
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1166.jpg
Views:	2177
Size:	197.7 KB
ID:	38731   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1177.jpg
Views:	1973
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	38732   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	2112
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	38733   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1184.jpg
Views:	1856
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	38734   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1186.jpg
Views:	2245
Size:	196.4 KB
ID:	38735  

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	1949
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	38736   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1167.jpg
Views:	1880
Size:	213.9 KB
ID:	38737  

Last edited by DMG; 11-09-2012 at 12:21 PM.

post #4 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:10 PM

Not to knock you, but kudos on the build. Why use the lcq and matrix? have you considered grounding all units including head to same spot? also where are you getting your remote from? I'll be putting in an alpine amp with built in hi level input and report if I have the same noise.

Last edited by Roly; 11-09-2012 at 01:21 PM.
post #5 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
DMG

I used the LCQ as a "gateway" from stock speakers and this converts it to RCA's that plung in to the amp.

The Matrix Plus kicks the voltage up going to the amp an being able to turn the amp gains down (the voltage of the stock head unit is very low).

Since up grading to the Kenwood head unit I have removed the Auto Control LQC, I plan on keeping the Matrix Plus even thought the Kenwoods out put voltage is 5voilts. The matrix will boost that voltage up to around 9volts.

I have tried all different grounds with no positive effect. When Audio Control confirmed that the problem is not the install..... but the Honda radio, that is when I started looking for different options.

Last edited by DMG; 11-09-2012 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 01:51 PM

since switching headunits has the noise been supressed or gone? 5v is more than enough...IMO. have u tried an antenna ground isolator for ****s and grins?
post #7 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM Thread Starter
DMG

To be honest I am still re-working the dash for the new Kenwood. Trust me this is not a ground issue. It is a signal that is going through the system, when you first turn on the stock radio and you see the "H" on the display, that is when most of the noise is at it's highest. I have had Auto Control and several other people go over the install (including one person that trains installers).

Most people would be very happy with the system I am replacing.... but there is always one person like me that is very picky or maybe just a pain in the A$$.
post #8 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:27 PM

Finally someone tackels the lastest gen sound system! Except, the exsisting "sub" was never touched? Was it disconnected? Or completely left alone?
post #9 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RinconVTR View Post
Finally someone tackels the lastest gen sound system! Except, the exsisting "sub" was never touched? Was it disconnected? Or completely left alone?
The sub was never touched..... but it was disconected from the system. I have mid-bass drivers in my Chevy kick pannels large than the Honda Sub.
post #10 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:39 PM

Where are you tapping the power for the new headunit and interface boxes? If you're using harness power have you tried to power it from the AMP power line (I assume you have a direct battery wire to run your JL Audio)

Sometime just relocating cables away from the noise source helps. Is the noise generated in the headunit or a interconnect cable or box?

76 CB360, 78 CB750, 1975 HONDA CIVIC WAGON CVCC, 1982 Honda Civic , 2008 Honda Pilot
Kenwood DDX-812 with KNA-G510 Nav, Infinity 6022si door speakers, MTX 10" Subwoofer upgrade, Alpine SBS-05DC center with JPA460 power amp in 3 channel bridged mode. Rear camera and DTV converter box with second and third row monitor screens. Wired and wireless headphone adapters.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
DMG

The power for the Kenwood is not using any exsisting factory wires, all new power wires are seperate from the factory wires. Just like the speaker wires are new running from the amp to the speakers.

This is a complete re-work. The only thing that is or maybe used is the back-up camera.
post #12 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 03:13 PM

thank God I have a LX, with just a basic display...let's see if i can get it done for the weekend.

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
2011 BMW 328i
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
post #13 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 04:19 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roly View Post
thank God I have a LX, with just a basic display...let's see if i can get it done for the weekend.
May I ask what are you going to do? Remove the stock display or just and on to the stock head unit?

Do not forget the pictures... or it didn't happen

Last edited by DMG; 11-09-2012 at 05:09 PM.
post #14 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-09-2012, 05:06 PM

just add on, like the look of stock. saw the pics of the russian honda pilot, it has the radio glass in black and red hazzard button.

2011 Honda Pilot EX-L
2011 BMW 328i
2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
post #15 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 PM

DMG,

How did replacing the HU affect the Bluetooth, rear camera and other display functions? Not sure what is controlled by the HU but do you lose everything? That would be a deal breaker for me. Were you able to interface the steering wheel controls with the new HU? How are you finding the noise when the engine drops to 4 or 3 cylinders with no ANC? Sorry for all the questions but I too am unhappy with the stock system in my EX-L. I was almost wishing I had sprung for the Touring because I am upgrading the stereo, adding roof rack and towing harness but I've read on another thread how unhappy many are with the Touring stereo as well. I just ordered an

45W RMS x 4 amp. It has speaker level inputs so that will eliminate the level converter and I already have a Rockford 500W monoblock amp to power my 12" sub. All I've done so far is run a power cable from the battery to under the seats but I'm hoping to get it all installed next weekend. I miss the system I had in my old Pilot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post
May I ask what are you going to do? Remove the stock display or just and on to the stock head unit?

Do not forget the pictures... or it didn't happen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: