2012 EXL Stereo Build - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
post #16 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-12-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hey Toolman, the Kenwood has the BT and the back-up camera input built in to the head-unit (it’s a double din head-unit). I used a PAC SWI-RC unit to interface with the steering wheel controls and the Kenwood. I mounted the Kenwood BT mic. in the stock location in the overhead consul. When I have some more time I plan on installing the stock display in a motorized piece mounted in the center consul. On my first try using the stock head-unit I had no noise when the Pilot dropped cylinders, only when starting the car did I have excessive noise except for a very high “floor noise” (in my opinion). Most of the noise I experienced was when the radio turned on, when you see the big “H” on the display.

So far I have only tested out the system (no RTA or fine tuning yet) and I am very happy with it. I did run into a small problem with the texture and color matching of the new center dash, so this set me back a few days. For me I am not sure if I would be happy with the Touring system, so I would still have to do some up-grading of the sound system. The up-side of the touring is it has an Alpine head-unit that can use the Auto Control LQC without the noise I experienced (not sure if the floor noise is better).

When I had the ANC hooked-up it tried to adjust the system that I was trying to tune, it was like “trying to herd a bunch of cats and never winning.

One of the things I want to re-do is the rear floor where the sub is, I want to get some carpet without backing so you cannot see where the sub is.

I should finish up the install in the next few days (fingers are crossed after saying that) & will post some pictures when done.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM

I look forward to the pics. I'll let you know how my installation goes as well. I considered installing a relay to turn on ANC mics when audio system is off and short them when audio system is on but I have a feeling just adding and amp will make that impossible. Your system sounds really nice. The guys who got the Navi (Alpine HU) aren't complaining of high noise floor. I love my Pilot but not happy with Honda for the things they've cheapened in it, especially the stereo...

BTW, any tips on getting the door panels off?

Good Luck and take care,

Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMG View Post

I should finish up the install in the next few days (fingers are crossed after saying that) & will post some pictures when done.

post #18 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
May I ask what are you going to do? Remove the stock display or just and on to the stock head unit?

Do not forget the pictures... or it didn't happen
Speaking of pics or it didn't happen, I think we've all been patiently waiting to see pics of your headunit installed. Lets see it...

post #19 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:28 AM

Sounds great! I would like to see the finished product!
post #20 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmustico4 View Post
Speaking of pics or it didn't happen, I think we've all been patiently waiting to see pics of your headunit installed. Lets see it...

I ran into two small problems:

(1) I had some problems with the paint curing correctly with the cold and moisture here in Seattle. I solved that by turning the heater on in the shop.

(2) The back-up camera. None of the local Honda dealers would let me look at the shop manuals to look at the camera wiring. I solved that with the help of eBay. I bought the 4 book set of Honda shop manuals ($215.00), they showed up yesterday and the back-up camera is now working.

(3) The Pac interface was working until last night, I lost the volume control and now that is fixed.

I spent some time adjusting the system and I could not be happier with the outcome! The Kenwood’s time alignment works great, I had to set the sub up as though it was 16’ away from my ears. Now the bass plays as though it is mounted in the front of the cabin. The amount of EQing need was very small, nothing added just a few bands needed a little subtracting.

Sitting in the front seat it sounds like the band is playing on the dashboard, so I am very happy with the sound stage.

Center stage: it still wanders a very little, I hope with some more time on tuning I can overcome this. When I removed the center dash, there is a spot for a center speaker I hoped I could use. But using the double DIN Kenwood there just was not enough room to mount a center speaker, unless I raised it up off of the dash.

I still am working on a few things like; redoing the finished floor covering the sub and adding a little more sound-deadener to the back door.

OK you are right……………….. No pictures or it didn’t happen! I will be doing more pictures in the next week or so (using a better camera and not a cell phone). Here is one quick picture of the center dash.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1353121396930.jpg
Views:	1898
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	38768  

Last edited by DMG; 11-18-2012 at 01:47 PM.
post #21 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Banned

Looks really good! Looking forward to more pics!
post #22 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmustico4 View Post
Looks really good! Looking forward to more pics!

Thank you! I am very impressed with the system as a whole, especially when you consider I am only using 1 sub and just 1 amp to power the system. I.M.O. I think it sounds good enough to place quite well in a IASCA SQ competition, but that's just me
post #23 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 09:46 PM

Looks great! I completed the first step this weekend. I ran the power cable from the battery, tapped into the existing subwoofer output of the stock HU and added a 500W amp and 12" subwoofer using a level converter. The sub alone made a huge difference. I haven't clipped the ANC mic yet. I've been turning off ANC though the diagnostic menu in the HU. That's a real pain in the rear but I wasn't sure which wire was for the ANC mic and which was the bluetooth mic. I am attaching a photo of the connector. Does anyone know which wire is for the ANC mic?

What I would like to do is rig up a couple of relays that would kill both ANC mic's when I turn the stereo on. That way, if I just want some peace and quiet, I can turn off the stereo and have the benefit of ANC. Another thought was to try putting a pot on the ANC mic to turn down the gain and tune it to the output of the sub so as to try to keep the ANC working but I have a feeling that would be an exercise in futility. Does anyone know if the ANC uses all the speakers or just the sub? If it is just the sub, "tuning" the mics may be possible.

The next step is to install an Alpine KTP-445U 40Wx4 amp that has speaker level inputs. After that, I'll see if I need to replace all the door speakers. It's a pain doing this a piece at a time but it allows me to check progress after each step.

-Joe

Quote:
Thank you! I am very impressed with the system as a whole, especially when you consider I am only using 1 sub and just 1 amp to power the system. I.M.O. I think it sounds good enough to place quite well in a IASCA SQ competition, but that's just me
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ANC Front Mic Connector.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	38771  
post #24 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Hi Joe, I am not sure how the "relay or the pot" idea would work. I know most people have problems with the ANC & Sub, but I think the the ANC goes through all the speakers.

I am away from the house untill Weds. when I get back I could look up what mic is for the BT and what one is the darn ANC.
post #25 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:12 PM

The relays would be powered from the power antenna output of the HU. When the HU is powered on, it would activate the relays (one for the front mic and one for the rear), which would switch them off, deactivating the ANC.

The pot would just decrease the gain of the mic in an attempt to make the ANC work with the external sub. My understanding of how the ANC works is that the mic picks up low frequency noise of the engine and outputs a signal (presumably from the sub) that is 180 degrees out of phase and of equal amplitude to the offending noise to cancel it. My theory is that when you add an external sub, that cancellation signal is too loud so rather than cancel it it actually recreates the noise it is trying to cancel but just 180 degrees out of phase. The noise I could hear coming out of the sub sounded like the vibration of the engine in eco mode but much, much louder. My thought was if I could decrease the gain of the mic, I might be able to bring the cancellation signal back to the level it should be. As I think it through though, I'd probably have to use the factory sub as it position relative to the car affects the phase. Either that or a sub amp with variable phase would be required. The more I think about it, the more I think it would be like herding cats as you said before. I'm sure a lot of engineering went into the ANC system and merely dropping the gain of the mic won't fix it but the relay to switch them off would work. I would just have to run a wire to the front and rear ANC mics to power the relays and I have to find 2 relays small enough to fit in the headliner.

I did some searching and found a post in another group instructing that you have to take apart the front mic assembly and cut the red wire going from the mic to the PCB inside the mic housing. Let me know if that sounds about right when you get back and thanks for the help.

-Joe

Quote:
Hi Joe, I am not sure how the "relay or the pot" idea would work. I know most people have problems with the ANC & Sub, but I think the the ANC goes through all the speakers.

I am away from the house untill Weds. when I get back I could look up what mic is for the BT and what one is the darn ANC.
post #26 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-18-2012, 11:58 PM Thread Starter
DMG

Who left the gate open and let all the cats out?

OOPS I just re-read your post on using the power ant. good idea (my ant. is the the read side widow) cell phone screens are too small for me to read a post!

I think your idea of the relay would be the best. The problem is there is no remote turn on wire coming out of the stock head-unit to power the relays. You might think about using a simple toggle switch to turn off the mics or better yet just do not use them (I do not notice a big difference with or without the ANC). You might want to disconnect the mics and see if the extra noise disturbs your serenity or causes you any of the fallowing; road-rage, reddening of the eyes, stomach craps, pregnancy or anal leakage.

I do not think the shop manual shows the wiring inside the mic, only how to trouble shoot it to see if it works or not, but it does show the wiring to and from the mics.

Last edited by DMG; 11-19-2012 at 12:12 AM.
post #27 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 08:38 AM

Same antenna here but that window antenna has a preamp, which I believe is powered from the HU. I know when I upgraded the HU in my 2004 Pilot, I was wondering for days why my new Alpine HU would only pick up 3 stations and then after some research, I learned that antenna is powered. Hooked it up and voila, I had reception! The antenna jack in the stock HU of my 2012 EXL has 2 cables. I'm hoping one is power but I'll poke around all the cables in the back of the HU with my meter to see if one only has power with the HU on. Right now, I have my subwoofer amp turn on line connected to the cigarette lighter jack so it powers on when the car is turned on but I'd rather have that power on with the audio system as well.

As far as the front mic goes, I'd rather not have to take it apart and just clip a wire. I just have no way of figuring it out rather than trial and error because I think you must be driving for the ANC to activate.

-Joe

Quote:
Who left the gate open and let all the cats out?

OOPS I just re-read your post on using the power ant. good idea (my ant. is the the read side widow) cell phone screens are too small for me to read a post!

I think your idea of the relay would be the best. The problem is there is no remote turn on wire coming out of the stock head-unit to power the relays. You might think about using a simple toggle switch to turn off the mics or better yet just do not use them (I do not notice a big difference with or without the ANC). You might want to disconnect the mics and see if the extra noise disturbs your serenity or causes you any of the fallowing; road-rage, reddening of the eyes, stomach craps, pregnancy or anal leakage.

I do not think the shop manual shows the wiring inside the mic, only how to trouble shoot it to see if it works or not, but it does show the wiring to and from the mics.
post #28 of 70 (permalink) Old 11-19-2012, 09:11 PM

Disabling ANC

I disabled the ANC mics and took photos and added directions on the process. I am going to start a new thread for anyone interested. The cable to the rear mic is a major pain in the ass to remove. If you don't ever want to reconnect it, save yourself an hour of aggravation and cut the wire!

Here's the new thread:

Disable ANC on 2012-2013 Pilot - 1 of 2

-Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToolmanJoe View Post
Same antenna here but that window antenna has a preamp, which I believe is powered from the HU. I know when I upgraded the HU in my 2004 Pilot, I was wondering for days why my new Alpine HU would only pick up 3 stations and then after some research, I learned that antenna is powered. Hooked it up and voila, I had reception! The antenna jack in the stock HU of my 2012 EXL has 2 cables. I'm hoping one is power but I'll poke around all the cables in the back of the HU with my meter to see if one only has power with the HU on. Right now, I have my subwoofer amp turn on line connected to the cigarette lighter jack so it powers on when the car is turned on but I'd rather have that power on with the audio system as well.

As far as the front mic goes, I'd rather not have to take it apart and just clip a wire. I just have no way of figuring it out rather than trial and error because I think you must be driving for the ANC to activate.

-Joe

Last edited by ToolmanJoe; 11-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.
post #29 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
DMG

I thought I would up-date my post with some pictures during the install. I also have re-do the cargo cover hiding the amp and sub.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1002.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	196.2 KB
ID:	38886   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1003.jpg
Views:	382
Size:	197.4 KB
ID:	38887   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	38888   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1006.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	195.3 KB
ID:	38889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1031.jpg
Views:	473
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	38890  

Name:	IMG_1180.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	38891  
post #30 of 70 (permalink) Old 12-08-2012, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
DMG

More install Pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1383.jpg
Views:	787
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	38892   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1425.jpg
Views:	789
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	38893   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1483.jpg
Views:	734
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	38894   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1484.jpg
Views:	677
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	38895   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1512.jpg
Views:	1023
Size:	194.9 KB
ID:	38896  

Name:	IMG_1548.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	38897  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: