Video interface for the 2012 Pilots - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-14-2012, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Video interface for the 2012 Pilots

Hello everyone I'm just trying to see if anybody has done or heard of an interface that will convert our nav screen to play with the rear entertainment unit. I know it's been discussed for the 09-11 Pilots, but the 12s don't have a nav system underneath the drivers seat where the nav2go hooks up to.

-2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD Alabaster Silver
20" KMC Rockstar Wheels 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grappler
Readylift Lift Kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:17 PM

I see your located in VA, same here ( Alexandria ) not sure if you want to look into it but we can figure out something together. I myself have my EE degree and worked with cars for a while , I was planning on seeing if theres a way to display my video from my RES on my Reverse Cam Screen. Im sure theres a way to bypass both. We can figure it out together and do a write up on it.
post #3 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 02:34 PM

I know this is a little off topic, but I was hoping to hook up a USB drive to play movies to my RES? Does anyone know if that is possible? My goal is not to have DVD's in the car and use a USB drive to store the movies.
post #4 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:16 PM

Eric, play them off an iPod/iPhone. Use one of the break-out cables and go right into the rear RCA jacks.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

2012 2WD Touring White Diamond Pearl / Grey

2006 2WD Steel Blue EX-L with Navigation (RIP - 3/10/12)
--------------------------------------------------------
My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am!
post #5 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 05:19 PM

Thanks I will try that!
post #6 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-22-2012, 07:49 PM

Ooops, your question got answered here.
I replied to the other thread as well.

2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD DAM (Dark Amber Metallic)
post #7 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-23-2012, 06:23 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuluzA View Post
I see your located in VA, same here ( Alexandria ) not sure if you want to look into it but we can figure out something together. I myself have my EE degree and worked with cars for a while , I was planning on seeing if theres a way to display my video from my RES on my Reverse Cam Screen. Im sure theres a way to bypass both. We can figure it out together and do a write up on it.
Sounds good, if you need I can get a hold of the ETM schematic on our pilots :-)

-2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD Alabaster Silver
20" KMC Rockstar Wheels 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grappler
Readylift Lift Kit
post #8 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-11-2012, 02:11 PM

Any updates to this? Would love to have a way to route RES DVD onto front NAV screen too
post #9 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:04 AM

HONDA PILOT 09 2009 10 2010 11 2011 NAV VIDEO INTERFACE, TV | eBay

They have this for the 2011... not sure if any of that stuff has changed on the 12, but I would think it is similar. You would need to ask the company though

2012 Pilot Touring - Lighted Running Boards with LED Puddle Lights, Cargo Tray, All Season Floor Mats, AVS Bugflector II, Rear Neoprene Seat Protector, Door Edge Guards, Nitrogen filled Tires.

2003 TL Type S - Parrot MKi9200, Cargo Tray
post #10 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-13-2012, 11:08 AM

2012 broke all that by going to a hard drive based NAV, instead of DVD based. The DVD inputs were the entry point for the system. Hopefully some enterprising individual can figure out something. :-)

Via Piloteers.org mobile app

post #11 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 10:32 AM

nav tv advised me that they should have an interface ready within a month.
post #12 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Sweet!

post #13 of 89 (permalink) Old 08-16-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmmark View Post
Sweet!

yes. the wife doesnt like having to ride in the back or hold her laptop to watch movies in the front while I drive.

happy wife=happy life
post #14 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM

I called Nav-tv and they are no longer working on an interface for the 2012 HDD nav units.

I found another company called NavTool that does have a working interface for the 2012 Pilot and Odyssey HDD Nav system.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way.

We traded the wife's CR-V for a 2012 Pilot Touring this week, and I started to research a way to get the DVD video to play on the front screen so that I can start movies, etc for the kiddos. I have used Pioner AVIC's for years and miss having that feature.

I found NavTool via an Acura forum, and they had a few negative feedbacks about delayed shipping, but I decided to take a chance. I checked their website (NAVTOOL INC) and it showed the 2012 Pilot interface as $600 and out of stock. I called them to find out when it would be available, and they said they just recieved a bunch. He quoted a big discount from the posted price, so I bit the bullet. I requested 2 day shipping on Wed late afernoon so that I would have it on Friday for a weekend install. It did arrive today (Friday), and I was able to install it in about an hour.

The good:
1) It works perfectly!
2) No addtional "buttons" or "switches" are installed. Only factory buttons are used. ie press and hold cancel for 3 seconds to switch between the normal display and the DVD display.
3) Fast, same day shipping. I requested 2nd day air on Wed and it arrived on Friday.
4) Very friendly guy named "George" answered all my calls and emails. Emails were responded to within minutes.
5) They provided all the wiring details required for installation (via email).
6) All connections are behind the radio. You only have to remove left/right panels (snap out) and remove 6 screws to remove Radio/AC controller/NAV controller.
7) It can be wired so the parking break has to be on for it to work, or just ground the wire for video anytime.
8) The AV input on center console (rear RED/WHITE/YELLOW RCA) will feed the front NAV screen (tested with iPhone apps: Netflix, Youtube, and SlingPlayer).
9) Regardless if you are in NAV mode or VIDEO mode, the backup camera will come on when in reverse.
10) While in Video mode, the front/rear parking sensor display overlays the video.

The bad:
1) It is NOT plug and play. I would consider it an advanced install since it requires cutting and soldering factory wires. It does require you to cut 4 wires (between the NAV and front display) and splice in 5 wires (12v+, 12v-, parking break, video+, and video-). NavTool recommends professional installation.
2) It did not come with any instructions, but NavTool did email me the schematic for the connectors that needed to be spliced and/or cut and reconnected.
3) No USB video input.

At this time, I recommend their product if you want DVD video on your front screen on our new HDD NAV system.

You can see a video of the installation in an Acura, which is plug and play, at NavTool - YouTube

If you decide to call them, let them know you heard about it at The Piloteers forum, and they may give you a nice discount as well.

Last edited by garrettoomey; 09-24-2012 at 10:06 PM.
post #15 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettoomey View Post
I called Nav-tv and they are no longer working on an interface for the 2012 HDD nav units.

I found another company called NavTool that does have a working interface for the 2012 Pilot and Odyssey HDD Nav system.

I am not affiliated with this company in any way.

We traded the wife's CR-V for a 2012 Pilot Touring this week, and I started to research a way to get the DVD video to play on the front screen so that I can start movies, etc for the kiddos. I have used Pioner AVIC's for years and miss having that feature.

I found NavTool via an Acura forum, and they had a few negative feedbacks about delayed shipping, but I decided to take a chance. I checked their website (NAVTOOL INC) and it showed the 2012 Pilot interface as $600 and out of stock. I called them to find out when it would be available, and they said they just recieved a bunch. He quoted a big discount from the posted price, so I bit the bullet. I requested 2 day shipping on Wed late afernoon so that I would have it on Friday for a weekend install. It did arrive today (Friday), and I was able to install it in about an hour.

The good:
1) It works perfectly!
2) No addtional "buttons" or "switches" are installed. Only factory buttons are used. ie press and hold cancel for 3 seconds to switch between the normal display and the DVD display.
3) Fast, same day shipping. I requested 2nd day air on Wed and it arrived on Friday.
4) Very friendly guy named "George" answered all my calls and emails. Emails were responded to within minutes.
5) They provided all the wiring details required for installation (via email).
6) All connections are behind the radio. You only have to remove left/right panels (snap out) and remove 6 screws to remove Radio/AC controller/NAV controller.
7) It can be wired so the parking break has to be on for it to work, or just ground the wire for video anytime.

The bad:
1) It is NOT plug and play. I would consider it an advanced install since it requires cutting and soldering factory wires. It does require you to cut 4 wires (between the NAV and front display) and splice in 5 wires (12v+, 12v-, parking break, video+, and video-). NavTool recommends professional installation.
2) It did not come with any instructions, but NavTool did email me the schematic for the connectors that needed to be spliced and/or cut and reconnected.

At this time, I recommend their product if you want DVD video on your front screen on our new HDD NAV system.

You can see a video of the installation in an Acura, which is plug and play, at NavTool - YouTube

If you decide to call them, let them know you heard about it at The Piloteers forum, and they may give you a nice discount as well.
Is this the garrettoomey from the AVIC411 forum? (I'm SickRick over there - haven't been on in awhile).

If it IS - they're gonna MISS YOU OVER THERE. You were TONS OF HELP to me in my AVIC days. If ANYONE CAN FIGURE OUT how to "hack" the Pilot system, I suspect it would be YOU.

Kinda miss my Z120BT. There are things I LIKE on the (Alpine Based) Pilot Nav (over the AVIC) and some things I DON'T.

Overall - the audio quality is ALMOST ON PAR with the AVIC's, but I miss some of the "fine tuning" features.

I've "adjusted". I have all my outboard gear installed (see sig), and I'm in the final tweaking stages of my audio setup (need to hook up with a friend that has an audio spectrum analyzer to finish tuning).

Nice to see you here brother...

Rick

2016 Touring Blk/Blk (2WD) - Hitch Receiver - Tow Harness - Running Boards

Electronics
ECM: Blinder 905C-3 Front : Valentine 1

Lighting: Diode Dynamics 5K HID's (Low), 5K XML2 LED's (High/Fogs), 7443 XP80 LED's (Turns/Backup)

Sound: Factory NAV -> Mosconi 6to8 DSP -> Mosconi One 120.4 (X2 F/R/S) - Focal 650 KRX3 (front) + Focal 650 KRX2 (rear) + Focal KRX3 Mid Driver (sat)/ Mosconi One 240.2 (Sub) + Custom Cargo Sub Box w/JL 13TW5v2-4 : ANC Delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: