Video interface for the 2012 Pilots - Page 5 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #61 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 09:01 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
You lucked out with them updating the harness. Would have been better for me because the wires back there are tiny! Good luck!

Just finished installing my running boards and thanks to the folks on here, rigged up my own rivet tool and got the job done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPilot View Post
You lucked out with them updating the harness. Would have been better for me because the wires back there are tiny! Good luck!

Just finished installing my running boards and thanks to the folks on here, rigged up my own rivet tool and got the job done.
What did you do for the rivet tool?
post #63 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:15 AM

When I was researching the rivnut tool for installing my premium running boards, I found this site useful:

$1.87 Rivet nut tool for step/running boards. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

This link is from the Piloteers.org but references the above link...as you'll see when you read through it.
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2...rivet-nut.html

In the end, I just found a local dealer who agreed to install the rivnut at no extra charge when I purchased the running boards. It took them about 15 minutes to put on & they washed & dried my Pilot when they were done. Ask around though, because it took me calling five different dealers before one would agree to do it. The others all wanted to charge labor. Good luck!

Last edited by 13Pilot; 04-17-2013 at 02:24 AM.

post #64 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-17-2013, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_boy83 View Post
What did you do for the rivet tool?
Don't want to get off topic but if you search rivet tool, you'll find a lot about it. A few nuts, bolts and washers will get the job done.
post #65 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:00 PM

DISCLAIMER - INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS ANYTHING UP DURING THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR NAVTOOL UNIT. AS ALWAYS USE A PROFESSIONAL.

Now having that bold print out of the way...I am by no means a professional. However I am skilled....just not at taking good pictures at you'll see in my link below. I thought I'd post this now that I have my NavTool installed. It took me about 2 & a half hours from start to finish but about 20-30 minutes of that was distractions from phone calls & interruptions. I also really took my time as I did not want to scratch the plastic or cause any damage to the wires. I was also trying to capture pictures each step of the way. So here's the link. I hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about the NavTool unit. I can say - it really was not too difficult to put in. The Posi-Tap connectors make this job easy as putting on a bottle top. I'm sure people have their favorite ways to connect wires but this way worked for me. The wire harness I rec'd from NavTool had just three wires that needed to be spliced. You'll see this in my pictures and how I completed this step.

The gray & black wires - I was told by NavTool to just splice into the black ground wire.
The red wire - I was told to connect to the purple.

The rest was just plug & play. Hardest part was trying to hold the radio in one hand and plug everything back in. Just take your time.

Also note that I completed this in April 2013 - NavTool seems to be updating their wire harness and who knows? By the time you're reading through this, they may have new instructions and a new way to put things together that is different than what I am showing. I know from reading through the acura forums, that NavTool is currently trying to develop a connection for the iPhone 5. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showt...=825200&page=9

So please, follow the instructions given by the NavTool professionals.

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/13...3b90b.jpg.html

(for some reason the link above is backwards...so you have to scroll from the left arrow to go from start to finish.)

I also found this link on YouTube to be helpful when I was doing this. It shows the radio removal of a 2009 Honda Pilot but it was still useful.

Last edited by 13Pilot; 04-22-2013 at 06:15 PM.
post #66 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 06:22 PM

Good work 13Pilot! Wish i would have found the Posi-Taps. I used old skool t-taps which did the job but Posi-Taps look better. I wished I had your newer Navtool since mine has more wiring to do but all worked the same. Nice picture write up.
post #67 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 PM

Thanks! Ya I actually used the T-Tap connectors right after for my Valentine 1 hardwire. I'll upload & post those later but it looks the same as what other users have done. Having used both types of connectors, I prefer the Posi-Tap ones over anything else. I actually learned about the Posi-Taps from someone else on this site. They are just way easier and super simple.
post #68 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 AM

So the NavTool interface is even better than I first thought. I found a way to connect the iPhone 5 so it will display on the front navigation screen. Even better....you can view your entire phone, apps, maps, safari, e-mail, text messages....everything while your safely parked of course! So for those who still have unlimited data plans...have at it! Also if you're using Google Maps for directions or WAZE or even Apple's TOM-TOM maps, all audio sounds can be heard through your speakers. If you're viewing your phone on the Nav Screen & you put your car in reverse, the back-up camera will pop right up as it always does. Also if you have parking sensors, they will also show up as normal in the corners. You can also dim your screen as normal and anything you do on your phone can be seen on the nav screen. Turn your phone sideways and the Nav Screen shows your phone in full view!! Great for pinch to zoom, reading e-mails, really anything! When you hold your phone normal, you have a smaller outline of your screen on the center of the main Nav Screen. It's not the best looking but it works. I like the full view when it's sideways. It's great for viewing web pages & obviously playing Hulu & Netflix. I'll post some pictures on here soon to how I did this. It was actually pretty simple once I had all the adapters.

Here's what I used.
1. Apple's Lightning to HDMI adapter

2. RCA to HDMI converter box.

3. RCA Cables - Best Buy, Radio Shack, your junk drawer, last box you found in the corner of the garage.\

4. HDMI cable - a short one if you can find one! 3' or 4' max

5. RCA right angle adapters.

lighting cable.

Pictures with photo-bucket link to follow.

It's a simple plug/play & view on the Nav Screen. As always - enjoy responsibly!

Last edited by 13Pilot; 04-23-2013 at 02:09 AM.
post #69 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 03:34 AM

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pictures. I already have the HDMI adapter for the iPhone/iPad but never found anything that is priced right to work for a HDMI to RCA.

I'm definitely going to check this out!
post #70 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Here is the link to the iPhone 5 setup I'm currently using.

Camera On IPhone 5 On NavScreen Photo by 13Pilot | Photobucket

I'll add additional pictures later to show my phone connected. I took these the night I set it all up & I did not have another camera with me to capture my iPhone 5 connected. But the next ones will show how the Nav Screen looks when I'm on my iPhone and using the web/apps.
post #71 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 09:39 PM

OK...here is the updated link w/ pictures I just took. Hopefully this answers a lot of questions for anyone looking to install the NavTool.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1633f4d4.jpg

Remember to plug the RCA to HDMI converter power cord into the USB port in the Pilot's center console. Then you also have to press the AUX button on the RES control and also press the front AUX on the stereo and then press and hold the cancel button for 3 seconds to switch over. It's a few steps but I have it down now so it's not a big deal at all. Enjoy responsibly!

Last edited by 13Pilot; 04-24-2013 at 09:41 PM.
post #72 of 89 (permalink) Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Pilot View Post
OK...here is the updated link w/ pictures I just took. Hopefully this answers a lot of questions for anyone looking to install the NavTool.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1633f4d4.jpg

Remember to plug the RCA to HDMI converter power cord into the USB port in the Pilot's center console. Then you also have to press the AUX button on the RES control and also press the front AUX on the stereo and then press and hold the cancel button for 3 seconds to switch over. It's a few steps but I have it down now so it's not a big deal at all. Enjoy responsibly!
That's awesome. I was doing it with the RCA adapter for my 30 pin iPad but with this setup, I can use my iPhone and mini with the lightning adapter that I already have.

Thank you for the motivation!
post #73 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-08-2013, 02:56 AM

So how did your get the audio to stay on the Rear Source? Bluetooth audio would be out of sync with the video. Audio through Rear Source would stay on for a minute and then shutoff and I get the RR icon with the speaker slashed out.

I have the same setup with the HDMI converter, cables and such so the video works fine but audio cuts out. Video only works great for viewing traffic with Waze. I also noticed that I would get the video on the NAV to display the iPhone screen with Rear Power off.

I'll keep playing around with the button sequences but my young daughter doesn't seem to mind the audio video sync.
post #74 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM

SJCPilot - make sure you're HDMI converter box has the toggle set to NTSC not PAL. Also make sure that the HDMI converter box is plugged into the USB in the center console to power the converter box.

Here are the steps I go through to get sounds & video:
Connect your iPhone/iPod/iPad to the cable. Then put down the rear display. Press the cancel button on the front for 3 seconds to turn switch the NavTool on. If you see the speaker w/ the line through it - this will usually go away as soon as sound comes on. It could also indicate that you need to press the rear source button on the front display. After that make sure you have the setting on the front to switched to AUX. Then press the rear remote to AUX. That should bring up the iPhone/iPod/iPad display with sound and picture to your front NAV screen. I know it's a bunch of steps but it only take a few seconds of pressing everything to get it to work. Hope that helps.
post #75 of 89 (permalink) Old 05-10-2013, 03:35 AM

Thanks. I magically worked this morning but on my iPad. I'll have to test it again on the iPhone. Audio stayed up and worked fine. Other than that, works as described!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: