Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Video interface for the 2012 Pilots

79K views 96 replies 29 participants last post by  Lifestar53 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm just trying to see if anybody has done or heard of an interface that will convert our nav screen to play with the rear entertainment unit. I know it's been discussed for the 09-11 Pilots, but the 12s don't have a nav system underneath the drivers seat where the nav2go hooks up to.

#73 ·
So how did your get the audio to stay on the Rear Source? Bluetooth audio would be out of sync with the video. Audio through Rear Source would stay on for a minute and then shutoff and I get the RR icon with the speaker slashed out.

I have the same setup with the HDMI converter, cables and such so the video works fine but audio cuts out. Video only works great for viewing traffic with Waze. I also noticed that I would get the video on the NAV to display the iPhone screen with Rear Power off.

I'll keep playing around with the button sequences but my young daughter doesn't seem to mind the audio video sync.

#74 ·
SJCPilot - make sure you're HDMI converter box has the toggle set to NTSC not PAL. Also make sure that the HDMI converter box is plugged into the USB in the center console to power the converter box.

Here are the steps I go through to get sounds & video:
Connect your iPhone/iPod/iPad to the cable. Then put down the rear display. Press the cancel button on the front for 3 seconds to turn switch the NavTool on. If you see the speaker w/ the line through it - this will usually go away as soon as sound comes on. It could also indicate that you need to press the rear source button on the front display. After that make sure you have the setting on the front to switched to AUX. Then press the rear remote to AUX. That should bring up the iPhone/iPod/iPad display with sound and picture to your front NAV screen. I know it's a bunch of steps but it only take a few seconds of pressing everything to get it to work. Hope that helps.

#76 ·
Sometimes if the Wifi connection or LTE/3G is off the picture & sound may not match up. That has happened to me even when I'm not using the NavTool and just watching Netflix, Hulu on my phone. When I reset my phone connection or get to a stronger signal & then restart the show, everything works fine. Glad you were able to get it working. My son loves being able to watch his shows on the road & I love being able to use Google Maps & Waze instead of Honda's Mapping & all the audio plays right through the speakers!

#79 ·
Has anyone who has installed the NavTool noticed if they lost FM Traffic on their GPS?

Seems like I'm getting the traffic alerts to show up but the Green, Yellow & Red traffic indicators on the map have not been updating like they use to and I'm also seeing on the nav screen the no traffic symbol in area's where it use to work. Wondering if this is a problem for anyone else.

#80 ·
Has anyone who has installed the NavTool noticed if they lost FM Traffic on their GPS?

Seems like I'm getting the traffic alerts to show up but the Green, Yellow & Red traffic indicators on the map have not been updating like they use to and I'm also seeing on the nav screen the no traffic symbol in area's where it use to work. Wondering if this is a problem for anyone else.

I am experiencing the same problem... I thought it was just me or something else was not working correctly.

#81 ·
Just got off the phone with the Tech at NavTool. He insists that I must have a wire or something that was not plugged back in correctly. He states that the NavTool device wil only interrupt the video connection and has nothing to do with the GPS or FM Antenna. I'm going to try to take a look at it again this next week- maybe take the NavTool out and see if the FM Traffic indicators work again or if I can find a bad connection. Would love to hear from anyone else who has the NavTool installed & if they notice the same problem. Keep you posted on what I find.

#82 ·
yes... all my traffic and everything works with nav tool. No problems. It is most likely either something loose or a bad harness... in which you would have to test the connections of the harness. But this is something really hard to pinpoint.

And I am really sure I see the traffic. and DVD, and I even have a camera wired into the front of the car.

#83 ·
I haven't noticed this issue on mine so I'll have to check it today. I figured it may be wiring because on my first attempt to put everything back, GPS wasn't working so it would never grab a signal. Navtool support say check all cables again so I took it all out again and made sure everything was snapped in.

#88 · (Edited)
13Pilot,

What gauge are the wires that need to be connected with the NavTool? I see from one of the photos you included in your install that you used Posi-Tap PTA-24's. Am I correct to assume that this is for 24 gauge wire? I need to purchase some Posi-Taps, but unfortunately, I cannot find any online that are "PTA-24". So, should I just get some that are meant for 24 gauge?

Also... many many thanks for your photos and information regarding the NavTool. I feel pretty confident, because of your efforts, that I can do this myself without paying someone else! :)

#89 ·
Does anyone know if this same NavTool interface works on 2014-15 Pilot Touring models? There is no info on the NavTool site for 2014+ Pilots.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.