Video interface for the 2012 Pilots - Page 3 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #31 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-13-2012, 07:03 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Pilot Touring Clarification Questions

Hi GARRETTOOMEY,

I too just purchased a 2012 Honda Pilot Touring and just wanted to ask a few clarification questions before I shelled out the $500+ on the NAVTOOL.

1.) The primary reason to purchase the NAVTOOL is so that I can watch the same videos the passengers in the rear are watching on the RES. Specifically, watch the DVDs they are watching, but on the NAV screen. Can this be done when the DVD source is the built-in DVD player that is sourced from the factory unit? The issues I am having is being that my 4-yo son cannot read yet, he cannot navigate the DVD menus and it is extremely difficult to accomplish this from the front passenger seat while the Pilot is in motion (at least the remote is detachable). If we can see the menus on the NAV screen, then voila!

2.) I believe you've mentioned this before, but if a plug a L/R/Video cable into the A/V plugs found on the back of the center console, can I see the same video on the NAV screen?

3.) What secondary inputs are included with the NAVTOOL?

4.) The video (see below for link) states there is a USB port for the NAVTOOL, what does the port do?

5.) How do you switch video input on the NAVTOOL between factory DVD, A/V input (rear of center console), and secondary NAVTOOL inputs?

They now have an installation video (for an HDD equipped Acura TL) on their website and the only wires that needed splicing were ground and accessory (the other wires utilized the factory harness and plug-n-play). (Video found at NavTool New Honda/Acura HDD Based Navigation System Video Interface - YouTube.) Do you think they've upgraded the system to make installation easier?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
UsedJeans

2012 Polished Metal Metallic Honda Pilot Touring
NavTool Video Interface for Navigation Screen

Previous owner of a 2004 Honda Pilot EX-L Nav
Custom installed DVD player, Navigation interface, and Headrest Monitors

Last edited by UsedJeans; 10-29-2012 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-18-2012, 10:21 PM

1. Yes, you get the DVD menus, but not the LCD menu (brightness, etc).
2. Yes
3. none
4. No USB input for the 2012 Honda Pilot. Only 1 input.
5. For the Front screen, you switch inputs at the headunit (DVD and AUX for L/R/Video), no secondary inputs.

You would need to call and ask if they have changed the installation. That same video was already posted when I bought/installed mine.

2016 Steel Metallic Touring w/ Black Interior
post #33 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 AM

Thumbs up Success!

I was able to successfully install the NavTool interface. The attached pic is a live shot of my Nav screen displaying the Toy Story 3 DVD I was playing. This was exactly what I was looking for and can confirm everything that GARRETTOOMEY has stated in this thread.

I decided to tackle the project today and am utterly amazed that GARRETTOOMEY was able to complete his in an hour. It literally took me about 5 hours to complete the project, start to finish. What may have contributed to my difficulties is the fact that I did not disconnect all of the connectors from the back of the Nav/Radio/A/C/ unit. I took a look back there and decided that it would be too difficult to reconnect them in the end. The other factor was those teeny tiny wires. I would have preferred using quick disconnects so I could crimp instead of solder, but the wires are too thin to properly crimp on.

GARRETTOOMEY: Have you figured out the proper button sequence to get the center console A/V input to display on the Nav screen? I have gotten it to work, but it seems like a random number of button presses between the "Rear Source", "USB/AUX", and DVD buttons to finally get it to display.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	success.jpg
Views:	1081
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	38658  

post #34 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 04:28 AM

Lightbulb OEM DVD Player Video Out

For those of you who have a need to output the OEM DVD source to another screen (headrest monitors, A/V switch, etc.), the video output of the OEM DVD player is two wires that is part of a 16 pin connector behind the head unit. There is only one 16 pin connector so you can't pick the incorrect connector. The wires you will need to splice into are:

Pin 11 (Yellow Wire): RCA Signal
Pin 10 (Brown Wire): RCA Ground

I am attaching a picture from the NavTool installation instruction sheet of the connector I am writing about. For reference, the connector view is from the wire side.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Honda_Pilot_DVD_Video_Out.jpg
Views:	703
Size:	28.9 KB
ID:	38674  

post #35 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 11:07 AM

Wow this is awesome, I would love to do this! Do you constantly have the A/V inputs coming out of the rear console?
post #36 of 89 (permalink) Old 10-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda_boy83 View Post
Wow this is awesome, I would love to do this! Do you constantly have the A/V inputs coming out of the rear console?
I have not used the center console inputs as I have not figured out the proper sequence to easily display the video source on the Nav screen. It does work, but I just cannot figure out what the correct button sequence is to switch the display. (I was hoping GARRETTOOMEY has figured that out since he's had the system installed for a while now.)

I have also preferred using DVDs over the A/V inputs as the Pilot does support surround sound.

post #37 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-01-2012, 08:24 PM

I only used the rear av inputs once to test, but I believe that I had to set rear output to aux for video, then set front output to aux for the sound. Sorry for they delayed response as I don't get on this forum very often. I too mostly use the DVD.

2016 Steel Metallic Touring w/ Black Interior
post #38 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettoomey View Post
I only used the rear av inputs once to test, but I believe that I had to set rear output to aux for video, then set front output to aux for the sound. Sorry for they delayed response as I don't get on this forum very often. I too mostly use the DVD.
I think I may have miss worded that. I want you just use DVDs. My questions was do you have to have something plugged into the AV plugs in order to watch the DVDs on the Navi screen? Thanks guys!
post #39 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Super Moderator

Try these guys. Edog did a great thread about adding their unit to a 2003 Nav.
http://www.avelectronic.com/

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

2005 Pilot Exl Res
2016 CRV Touring
post #40 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
I think I may have miss worded that. I want you just use DVDs. My questions was do you have to have something plugged into the AV plugs in order to watch the DVDs on the Navi screen? Thanks guys!
For me to get my DVD to work is that I have the RES so that has to be opened. Once that is open and powered on, the DVD will be displayed on the front NAV screen. I don't have anything plugged into the AV plugs and running it all off of DVD.
post #41 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 02:32 PM

guys,

how about the NAV-less pilots like mine? is this still possible?

thanks
post #42 of 89 (permalink) Old 12-03-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCPilot View Post
For me to get my DVD to work is that I have the RES so that has to be opened. Once that is open and powered on, the DVD will be displayed on the front NAV screen. I don't have anything plugged into the AV plugs and running it all off of DVD.
Thank you! I need to get this kit!
post #43 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-17-2013, 07:27 PM

new install

Quote:
I just completed the install today of the NAVTOOL RGB 2.0.

Despite what any of the directions say.... The install is identical to the video of the acura install on the website.

Had to removed the head unit and plug everything in.

One thing that I did differently was that I do not have the RES. I hooked up the apple composite AV and ran it out to the front passenger seat.

This now allows me to connect my IPAD as my video input.

This cable also has the ability to charge via USB so I added an outlet behind the console so it will charge when I plug it to play a movie.

Works great. I am very happy.
post #44 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey Codten were practically neighbors, I live in Virginia Beach. How much did you pick up the navtool for ?

-2012 Honda Pilot Touring 4WD Alabaster Silver
20" KMC Rockstar Wheels 265/50R20 Nitto Terra Grappler
Readylift Lift Kit
post #45 of 89 (permalink) Old 01-25-2013, 01:01 AM

Hi quick question, just watched the video on NavTool. It looks great. But at the end it shows the person using his iphone to play video (netflix). Is the iphone physically hooked up to something, or is it over bluetooth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: