Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Video interface for the 2012 Pilots

79K views 96 replies 29 participants last post by  Lifestar53 
#1 ·
Hello everyone I'm just trying to see if anybody has done or heard of an interface that will convert our nav screen to play with the rear entertainment unit. I know it's been discussed for the 09-11 Pilots, but the 12s don't have a nav system underneath the drivers seat where the nav2go hooks up to.

#36 ·
I have not used the center console inputs as I have not figured out the proper sequence to easily display the video source on the Nav screen. It does work, but I just cannot figure out what the correct button sequence is to switch the display. (I was hoping GARRETTOOMEY has figured that out since he's had the system installed for a while now.)

I have also preferred using DVDs over the A/V inputs as the Pilot does support surround sound.

#37 ·
I only used the rear av inputs once to test, but I believe that I had to set rear output to aux for video, then set front output to aux for the sound. Sorry for they delayed response as I don't get on this forum very often. I too mostly use the DVD.

#50 ·
I'm wondering if anyone has pictures/video of installing the navtool into either a 2012 or 2013 Pilot that they can post.

Also wondering how much time it took from start to finish. Seems like the earlier posts showed 1 hr for one person who really knew what they were doing and 5 hours for another. Has anyone else done this and how long did it take you?

I just ordered this yesterday from navtool.com I mentioned this site. They gave a really good discount ($300 flat including ground shipping) if anyone is looking into it. It was much less than buying on amazon.com

Thanks!

#51 ·
It took me a couple of hours to get it done. The hardest part is that you have to deal with the thin and tiny wires to tap into for power and ground. The Navtool site has instructions now on how to access the head unit which they didn't have before when I was working on mine if not search for any aftermarket stereo website for instructions. Other than that, everything is pretty straight forward and worth the effort and money. Still trying to successfully get an iPad to play from the front seat since it takes a few buttons to be pressed on the RES and head unit.

#52 ·
Ya, SJCPilot- iPad integration would be awesome. (Im using mine now to write this. Lol) Especially if it let you use/view Google Maps on the main screen instead of having to use the Honda Nav. Then the kids in the back wouldn't have to ask, "Are we there yet???"!

Did you have to re-enter any radio or navigation codes after installing the NavTool? I don't recall seeing any codes in my package of manuals & was hoping that I don't need them.

#53 ·
iPad works fine with the RCA cables but not idea for me sitting in the front seat.

For the code, I don't recall it asking for it but it may have. It's been in the manual in my previous Hondas. I read in a different thread that it's tied to the car somehow so it'll know that it's you but I may be wrong. I do remember the saved stations on FM and XM all came back and wasn't lost after everything was unplugged.

#54 ·
If I can figure out how upload a picture, I'd like to have someone confirm I have the right NavTool part. Just trying to verify because the Navtool that I received does not have any RCA connections. Just plug & play adapters that look like they'll connect to the back of the radio and nav unit and then three wires that are labeled- Red: "Accessory + 12V Input", Gray: "Parking Break" & Black: "Ground"

Does this seem right for a 2013 Touring with RES & NAV?

#57 ·
If I remember correctly, I had both black and gray grounded. Gray is the work around from the parking brake and to do it, you have to ground it.

For the RCA, I now can't remember what I had but I remember taking an extra yellow RCA cable I had laying around and spliced it so that I had the plug went into the Navool and spliced into the 16 pin connector. Without this RCA cable, I could not get what was playing on the RES onto the NAV screen.

Navtool's support was great and they helped me out to get it to work correctly but must have improved their harness this year.

#56 ·
Does anyone know where the gray wire is suppose to connect? I did not see this in the instructions & the video only says to connect to the gray emergency break wire in the left kick pannel. I'll try to call NavTool tech support when they are open, if I can't figure it out. Thanks!

#58 · (Edited)
Since I can't figure out how to upload a darn picture on this forum....hopefully this works. Here is the link for photobucket...can you verify if this is what they sent you?

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p662/13Pilot/ScreenShot2013-04-14at25047PM_zpsbed495da.png

I ordered the unit that allows the RES to be viewed on the front Nav screen. As I'm learning, they make two units, one for RES & the other for RGB connection. Since I have the RGB connection in the back seat, I'm hoping this is the one will still allow me to connect an iPad through the back & still view up front. (Hopefully that didn't just confuse anyone reading this. ;-)

#59 ·
From the picture it all looks right to me. Can't really confirm without access mine behind the console but the 3 extra cables look correct. Ground and Brake splice into the car's harness. What I don't see is the cable with connector for yellow RCA.

I had instructions to do this.

Please splice in RCA into following pins
Pin 11 yellow – RCA signal
Pin 10 brown- RCA ground

According to their support, I had this and had to splice in my own RCA so that I could get what is playing in the RES to be shown in the NAV. Whatever was plugged into the rear RCA jacks would also show up on the NAV.

#60 ·
Called Tech Support at NavTool & was told the gray wire just connects to the black ground wire. It's an extra wire. The yellow RCA cable is not needed with the new wire harness. I guess the old wires needed the RCA splice as you stated above, yet they say the new ones do not need to be spliced in. Guess I'll find out soon enough! I'm going to give it a shot this weekend when I have more time to install. If anyone else has pictures or video of doing the install- I'd love to see it!

Thanks SJCPilot for your help!!!

#63 · (Edited)
When I was researching the rivnut tool for installing my premium running boards, I found this site useful:

$1.87 Rivet nut tool for step/running boards. - Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums

This link is from the Piloteers.org but references the above link...as you'll see when you read through it.
http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-...rd-install-gone-wrong-stripped-rivet-nut.html

In the end, I just found a local dealer who agreed to install the rivnut at no extra charge when I purchased the running boards. It took them about 15 minutes to put on & they washed & dried my Pilot when they were done. Ask around though, because it took me calling five different dealers before one would agree to do it. The others all wanted to charge labor. Good luck!

#65 · (Edited)
DISCLAIMER - INSTALL AT YOUR OWN RISK - I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU MESS ANYTHING UP DURING THE INSTALLATION OF YOUR NAVTOOL UNIT. AS ALWAYS USE A PROFESSIONAL.

Now having that bold print out of the way...I am by no means a professional. However I am skilled....just not at taking good pictures at you'll see in my link below. I thought I'd post this now that I have my NavTool installed. It took me about 2 & a half hours from start to finish but about 20-30 minutes of that was distractions from phone calls & interruptions. I also really took my time as I did not want to scratch the plastic or cause any damage to the wires. I was also trying to capture pictures each step of the way. So here's the link. I hope this helps anyone who has been thinking about the NavTool unit. I can say - it really was not too difficult to put in. The Posi-Tap connectors make this job easy as putting on a bottle top. I'm sure people have their favorite ways to connect wires but this way worked for me. The wire harness I rec'd from NavTool had just three wires that needed to be spliced. You'll see this in my pictures and how I completed this step.

The gray & black wires - I was told by NavTool to just splice into the black ground wire.
The red wire - I was told to connect to the purple.

The rest was just plug & play. Hardest part was trying to hold the radio in one hand and plug everything back in. Just take your time.

Also note that I completed this in April 2013 - NavTool seems to be updating their wire harness and who knows? By the time you're reading through this, they may have new instructions and a new way to put things together that is different than what I am showing. I know from reading through the acura forums, that NavTool is currently trying to develop a connection for the iPhone 5. http://tl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=825200&page=9

So please, follow the instructions given by the NavTool professionals.

http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/1...013 Honda Pilot/IMG_3612_zps02c3b90b.jpg.html

(for some reason the link above is backwards...so you have to scroll from the left arrow to go from start to finish.)

I also found this link on YouTube to be helpful when I was doing this. It shows the radio removal of a 2009 Honda Pilot but it was still useful.

How to Remove Radio / CD Changer from Honda Pilot 2009 for Repair. - YouTube

How To - Factory radio removal for 2009-2012 Honda Pillot - YouTube

#67 ·
Thanks! Ya I actually used the T-Tap connectors right after for my Valentine 1 hardwire. I'll upload & post those later but it looks the same as what other users have done. Having used both types of connectors, I prefer the Posi-Tap ones over anything else. I actually learned about the Posi-Taps from someone else on this site. They are just way easier and super simple.

#68 · (Edited)
So the NavTool interface is even better than I first thought. I found a way to connect the iPhone 5 so it will display on the front navigation screen. Even better....you can view your entire phone, apps, maps, safari, e-mail, text messages....everything while your safely parked of course! So for those who still have unlimited data plans...have at it! Also if you're using Google Maps for directions or WAZE or even Apple's TOM-TOM maps, all audio sounds can be heard through your speakers. If you're viewing your phone on the Nav Screen & you put your car in reverse, the back-up camera will pop right up as it always does. Also if you have parking sensors, they will also show up as normal in the corners. You can also dim your screen as normal and anything you do on your phone can be seen on the nav screen. Turn your phone sideways and the Nav Screen shows your phone in full view!! Great for pinch to zoom, reading e-mails, really anything! When you hold your phone normal, you have a smaller outline of your screen on the center of the main Nav Screen. It's not the best looking but it works. I like the full view when it's sideways. It's great for viewing web pages & obviously playing Hulu & Netflix. I'll post some pictures on here soon to how I did this. It was actually pretty simple once I had all the adapters.

Here's what I used.
1. Apple's Lightning to HDMI adapter
Amazon.com: LIGHTNING DIGITAL AV ADAPTER (MD826ZM/A): MP3 Players & Accessories

2. RCA to HDMI converter box.
Amazon.com: ViewHD Universal HDMI to Composite / AV Video Converter, Support PAL / NTSC Standard TVs: Electronics

3. RCA Cables - Best Buy, Radio Shack, your junk drawer, last box you found in the corner of the garage.\

4. HDMI cable - a short one if you can find one! 3' or 4' max

5. RCA right angle adapters.
Amazon.com: Steren 251-111 RCA Right-Angle Adapter Female To Male: Electronics
lighting cable.

Pictures with photo-bucket link to follow.

It's a simple plug/play & view on the Nav Screen. As always - enjoy responsibly!

#70 ·
Here is the link to the iPhone 5 setup I'm currently using.

Camera On IPhone 5 On NavScreen Photo by 13Pilot | Photobucket

I'll add additional pictures later to show my phone connected. I took these the night I set it all up & I did not have another camera with me to capture my iPhone 5 connected. But the next ones will show how the Nav Screen looks when I'm on my iPhone and using the web/apps.

#71 · (Edited)
OK...here is the updated link w/ pictures I just took. Hopefully this answers a lot of questions for anyone looking to install the NavTool.

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums... set up for iPhone 5/IMG_3861_zps1633f4d4.jpg

Remember to plug the RCA to HDMI converter power cord into the USB port in the Pilot's center console. Then you also have to press the AUX button on the RES control and also press the front AUX on the stereo and then press and hold the cancel button for 3 seconds to switch over. It's a few steps but I have it down now so it's not a big deal at all. Enjoy responsibly!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.