Video interface for the 2012 Pilots - Page 2 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #16 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-15-2012, 12:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
this is tempting...how much is the "discount" if you care to share your price thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 01:09 AM

Just purchased a 2012 EL-X with RES and wondered if it is possible to add the NAV system somehow? I am also interested in putting the DVD display in the dash screen. Can both of these be done?
post #18 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-16-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettoomey View Post
The bad:
1) It is NOT plug and play. I would consider it an advanced install since it requires cutting and soldering factory wires. It does require you to cut 4 wires (between the NAV and front display) and splice in 5 wires (12v+, 12v-, parking break, video+, and video-). NavTool recommends professional installation.
2) It did not come with any instructions, but NavTool did email me the schematic for the connectors that needed to be spliced and/or cut and reconnected.

If you decide to call them, let them know you heard about it at The Piloteers forum, and they may give you a nice discount as well.
Okay, so it is safe to assume then that their website contains inaccurate or "template" info then? Or perhaps is for the 2009-2011?

HONDA PILOT 2012-2013 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

post #19 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-17-2012, 08:45 AM

Crap, so this only works with the NAV system? I just have the RES wouldnt work with that correct?
post #20 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 12:58 PM
garrettoomey1

aaa

Last edited by garrettoomey1; 09-18-2012 at 05:00 PM.
post #21 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM
garrettoomey1

Please delete this post.

Last edited by garrettoomey1; 09-18-2012 at 05:01 PM.
post #22 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrettoomey1 View Post
RSConsulting/Rick,
Yes, this is the same garrettoomey from avic411. I still have Z110BT and Z1 installed in other vehicles and will stay active with avic411. I hope to be able to help out here as well.

My next project is remote window rollup from the factory remote.
Which CAN be done.

It's on the CANBus - I had it programmed into my aftermarket alarm without any additional wiring, etc. - as a "convenience feature" in the CANBus Interface Module that was installed with the alarm (Viper/DBall with Honda Flash). I kept leaving my sunroof vent open (I'm a smoker) and getting rained on. The "convenience feature" seems to stobe the lock module from the bus, then apply a latch to it (as you can hear the locks get hit 2X), closing all the open windows.

Down side is - I'm not sure - short of an aftermarket module, whether or not you can get JUST THE FACTORY FOB to do it.

I can get you the pertinent pages in the electrical book - the best way to attack this (manually), is at the lock cylinder in the door. I believe the lock module is also in the door - and initially, we thought we were going to have to go after that line. But as it turned out, it was already a "programmable feature" in the alarm/module. I don't see a way of doing it (short of a timer/relay circuit, inline with the "lock line" coming from door cylinder circuit) by just reprogramming. This is in the BCM, and I didn't see any "feature sets" in the service/electrical books, that could be set by the dealers computer.

Good to see you here - glad for the AVIC world that you're still sticking around there. The complexity of the factory interface(s) in the center cluster had me opt to get the better NAV head unit (OEM'd by Alpine), and go from the amp out with my aftermarket stuff. There are some features over my Z120 that I like better, and some that I don't. But the cost of "upgrading" a base model to the EX-L/Nav trim level - just to be able to replace the head unit, just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Rick

2016 Touring Blk/Blk (2WD) - Hitch Receiver - Tow Harness - Running Boards

Electronics
ECM: Blinder 905C-3 Front : Valentine 1

Lighting: Diode Dynamics 5K HID's (Low), 5K XML2 LED's (High/Fogs), 7443 XP80 LED's (Turns/Backup)

Sound: Factory NAV -> Mosconi 6to8 DSP -> Mosconi One 120.4 (X2 F/R/S) - Focal 650 KRX3 (front) + Focal 650 KRX2 (rear) + Focal KRX3 Mid Driver (sat)/ Mosconi One 240.2 (Sub) + Custom Cargo Sub Box w/JL 13TW5v2-4 : ANC Delete
post #23 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM

RSConsulting/Rick,
Yes, this is the same garrettoomey from avic411. I still have Z110BT and Z1 installed in other vehicles and will stay active with avic411. I hope to be able to help out here as well.

My next project is remote window rollup from the factory remote.
post #24 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meanieme View Post
this is tempting...how much is the "discount" if you care to share your price thanks
I paid $450 shipped.
post #25 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzuluzA View Post
Crap, so this only works with the NAV system? I just have the RES wouldnt work with that correct?
I honestly do not know. You may try calling them and asking.
post #26 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TypeRx View Post
Okay, so it is safe to assume then that their website contains inaccurate or "template" info then? Or perhaps is for the 2009-2011?

HONDA PILOT 2012-2013 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE
Agreed! Their website for the 2012 is not accurate and I assume it's just a template from the pre-hdd setup.

The model for our Pilot only has 1 video input (RCA).
post #27 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:57 PM

Addtional updates from my original post:

1. Just to clarify, I am able to view the DVD in the factory headunit on the front LCD.

2. I am able to use the Composite AV inputs from the backseat (RED/WHITE/YELLOW) and it will play over the audio system and display on the front screen (as well as the RES). I have tested it using the following apps on my iPhone (Netflix, YouTube, and SlingPlayer). You just change the "Source" from DVD to Aux.

3. No video will play from the USB device, but that is the same for front and RES.

4. It has been working perfectly since install!
post #28 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsconsulting View Post
Which CAN be done.

It's on the CANBus - I had it programmed into my aftermarket alarm without any additional wiring, etc. - as a "convenience feature" in the CANBus Interface Module that was installed with the alarm (Viper/DBall with Honda Flash). I kept leaving my sunroof vent open (I'm a smoker) and getting rained on. The "convenience feature" seems to stobe the lock module from the bus, then apply a latch to it (as you can hear the locks get hit 2X), closing all the open windows.

Down side is - I'm not sure - short of an aftermarket module, whether or not you can get JUST THE FACTORY FOB to do it.

I can get you the pertinent pages in the electrical book - the best way to attack this (manually), is at the lock cylinder in the door. I believe the lock module is also in the door - and initially, we thought we were going to have to go after that line. But as it turned out, it was already a "programmable feature" in the alarm/module. I don't see a way of doing it (short of a timer/relay circuit, inline with the "lock line" coming from door cylinder circuit) by just reprogramming. This is in the BCM, and I didn't see any "feature sets" in the service/electrical books, that could be set by the dealers computer.

Good to see you here - glad for the AVIC world that you're still sticking around there. The complexity of the factory interface(s) in the center cluster had me opt to get the better NAV head unit (OEM'd by Alpine), and go from the amp out with my aftermarket stuff. There are some features over my Z120 that I like better, and some that I don't. But the cost of "upgrading" a base model to the EX-L/Nav trim level - just to be able to replace the head unit, just didn't make a whole lot of sense.

Rick
I found an aftermarket module that wires into the drivers door to simulate the window roll up feature (via key) when you press the factory FOB lock button twice. It will connect to 12v switched, door lock switch output (switches from 5v to ground when the key is turned to lock), door lock motor input, 12v constant, ground, and window switch. I will post a write up once I recieve it and have it working correctly.
post #29 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-18-2012, 09:23 PM

I found another nice feature today. Regardless if you are in NAV mode or VIDEO mode, the backup camera will come on when in reverse.

2016 Steel Metallic Touring w/ Black Interior
post #30 of 89 (permalink) Old 09-24-2012, 09:06 PM

I found yet another nice feature. While in Video mode, my front/rear parking sensors display overlays the video. Still very happy with this mod.

2016 Steel Metallic Touring w/ Black Interior
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: