New speakers, etc on 2006 Pilot - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default New speakers, etc on 2006 Pilot

Hello everyone! I am in need of some help. I have a 2006 Honda Pilot and it's got the factory stereo in it with the 6 disc CD player and it's got a DVD player. I would like to replace the speakers, subwoofer and add an amp but I want to avoid replacing the radio, if possible. I want it to sound good with all music because I listen to a lot... but I especially listen to a lot of techno, drum and bass and dupstep so I would like the system to be able to handle some bass. I don't want to annoy my fellow car neighbors with vibration, but I do want the bass to sound good if I happen to turn it up.

That said.. I am completely daunted by everything I am reading. I am a stereotypical girl in that all of this stuff is completely a foreign language. I've done the basic research and I'm kind of understanding what I want.. but it brings me to a question:

I have a budget- I just can't afford those 500 dollar speakers and 1000 buck amps. I just can't. Am I able to make the speakers in my car sound better than the factory speakers by simply replacing the door speakers with something like the Kenwood ones that sounded good at Best Buy, a new, better subwoofer to replace the existing one and an amp? My big problem is that I hate spec-ing out something, spending 1200 bucks to put speakers, etc in my car because I can't seem to listen to anything before I buy it. I can get an idea of what the speakers sound like in the store... but if I look for components on Crutchfield, I have no idea if they will sound better than the Kenwoods and I can't really tell if the Kenwoods sound better than the existing speakers.

I just keep reading that you get what you pay for... but even if I drop less than 1K, can it be better than the stock speakers? The only thing removed from the car right now is the rattly subwoofer and it's an Alpine, Max 50W, 2 OHMS. The stereo installer places all quote me way out of my price range with top of the line equipment, and the people at Best Buy aren't always all that knowledgable. Can anyone help me?
sillyluc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 04:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to oejeffrey Send a message via Yahoo to oejeffrey

I can help you no problem.
If you have a budget just private message me and I can give you some ideas and some advice. I think I have a good idea of what you are looking for and although my car stereo is fairly nice...that does not mean I will go overboard for yours.
Jeffrey
Xstatic Car Audio Battery
Stinger Dual Amp Wiring Kit & class 3 interconnects
Kenwood Excelon DDX 896
AudioControl DDC & DQS
Kicker SX 700.4 & SX 600.2
Xetronic 6000k HID xenon system
WeatherTech digital floorLiner
Eclipse Retractable SunShade
Yokahama Geolander HTS
& of course.....more to come

Thank you very much

Jeffrey Wilson
oejeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oejeffrey View Post
I can help you no problem.
If you have a budget just private message me and I can give you some ideas and some advice. I think I have a good idea of what you are looking for and although my car stereo is fairly nice...that does not mean I will go overboard for yours.
Jeffrey
Hi jeff can you kindly help me too? I have a 07 honda pilot and would like to know if i can still have "bass" if i take out the factory sub bc it sounda horrible. How about the little speakers near the windshield, are they replaceable. Thanks
leo38cheng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

I, too, want to improve the sound in my 2005 Pilot at a reasonable cost. The first step I took in upgrading was to replace the door speakers with the Infifnity speakers written about in other posts on this forum. Replacing the front door speakers made a world of difference. I did it soon after buying the car new. Later, I replaced the rear door speakers with the Infinity's but the improvement was less dramatic.

Now, I'm thinking of adding an amp and replacing the subwoofer, and am planning to do it for less than $250. Maybe after that, I'll replace the head unit. When the system is done in small stages and with reasonably priced but decent quality components, the hit on the wallet isn't so bad.
davebutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 12:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo38cheng View Post
Hi jeff can you kindly help me too? I have a 07 honda pilot and would like to know if i can still have "bass" if i take out the factory sub bc it sounda horrible. How about the little speakers near the windshield, are they replaceable. Thanks
You won't get much bass from the 4 main 6.5" door speakers; the sub is there for a reason.
You can upgrade the front dash tweeters but most likely you'll have them incorporated into the 4 main door speakers - just disconnect them and leave them in place.
Old 05-03-2011, 03:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

OK, first off, thanks for the reply oejeffery. I got lucky yesterday in that, shortly after I posted this, my husband surprised me by saying he had ordered the parts that I had picked out earlier in the day (that he originally said were too expensive and I needed to go much cheaper). They are set to be delivered today and we'll have someone else install them! I'm excited!

I can always post back after it's installed with what I got and how it sounds now if anyone else feels it might help them.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:18 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyluc View Post
OK, first off, thanks for the reply oejeffery. I got lucky yesterday in that, shortly after I posted this, my husband surprised me by saying he had ordered the parts that I had picked out earlier in the day (that he originally said were too expensive and I needed to go much cheaper). They are set to be delivered today and we'll have someone else install them! I'm excited!

I can always post back after it's installed with what I got and how it sounds now if anyone else feels it might help them.
What parts did you ordered? Can some one recommend speakers to me. I am looking to chnage the door spekaers as well as the 2 windshield dash borad speakers. I really hate the factory sub... Has anypne replaced it or took it out and not use it? How do we actually replace the dashboard speakers? Thank yoy
Old 05-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

A lot of people go with the infinitys & depending on your budget I say it is a good idea. When I replaced the factory subwoofer way back when I was far less than impressed with what I saw. As I have stated in a earlier post....it may be a woofer but sub should not apply.
I don't know the amount of bass that people are getting out of these infinitys but I am guessing not a lot. When I put in the Polk Mobile Monitor I was very impressed with the bass I was getting and even questioned if the aftermarket subwoofer I installed was necessary if I wasn't going with a full on upgrade.
I installed a MA Audio shallow mount 400 watt subwoofer into the factory location. Without a amp..it was still not a lot of bass at all but the Polks gave me the feeling ( illusion ?? ) that they were producing more than enough bass. So much bass that my ex g/f complained that it was overwhelming. Agian that was with just the factory headunit....no aftermarket amps.
In my opionin speakers are the most important link in the music reproduction chain!!! If you are not going to go on to a full competion automobile....speakers should be where you spend the greatest amount of money.
You will read a lot in here about what a improvement people had when they replaced the front speakers.
DaveButch was 100% right on about the rear speakers...you just won't hear that much ( if any ) improvement in your sound stage if you replace the back speakers. Now I am not saying don't replace them I am saying don't expect soundstage bliss when you replace those back door speakers. Your rear passengers will notice a difference but look at speaker placement upfront and speaker placement in the back....that should really tell you a lot!!!!

As far as removing or replacing the tweeters upfront by the glass I would not even worry about that. Eventually you will have to sell the car and if you take your stereo out of your pilot then having to go back and replace them will be a unnecessary pain. My factory tweets are still in place and will stay there. They are horribly placed anyway. If you were to do a search of high end car audio systems you would see A LOT of kick panels. Even Crutchfield has kick panels. Look how close the tweeters are to the woofers. Less than a foot. Honda decided to place the tweeters up near a large piece of highly reflective glass that showers the front passengers with undirected sound. If you click on my post about my system ( Start of a System ( with Pics ) ) you would get the idea of where my tweeters are posted. Charly has his tweets on the sail panels. Just don't worry about the factory tweeters...they are useless anyway.

Like I said earlier...if anyone has some questions feel free to ask. Just because I have a mid to high end audio system in my car does not mean I believe in going full on crazy with every car system out there...people have different taste and different budgets.
A lot of people like to go with the do it yourself approach and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people like the box stores and there is nothing wrong with that. I went with a custom small shop guy and have been 100% pleased with my choice. I have someone who can point me towards component brands I have never heard of that are better than what is out there. Infinitys are nice speakers...but do they compare to CDT or Focal ?? I am considering upgrading my Polks to CDTs. I am just saying go talk to your local custom installer...he may have some good ideas once you give him a budget.
Please feel free to ask any questions...I can try to answer them all.
Kenwood Excelon DDX 896
AudioControl DDC & DQS
Yokahama Geolander HTS

Thank you very much

Jeffrey Wilson
Old 05-03-2011, 10:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank You for the lengthy reply, you've really help me with alot. I've read your post and the info is a bit overwhelming....is it possible to tell me, with links to crutchfield, what speakers, wires, amps, sub, silver wrapping I need to make my system sound good?

btw, is there a difference b/t the sub in the back of the car that's rattling and a woofer, or are both the same? So let's say I don't touch the tweeter speakers, what front/rear speakers will i need? will I be replacing the speaker wires? or the factory sub? I really want to get rid of the rattling sub if I can.

THANK YOU.
Leo

ps. can you kindly give me the speakers/things i need in a budget setup and a decent setup. thank you.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:35 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Thank You for the lengthy reply, you've really help me with alot. I've read your post and the info is a bit overwhelming....is it possible to tell me, with links to crutchfield, what speakers, wires, amps, sub, silver wrapping I need to make my system sound good?

btw, is there a difference b/t the sub in the back of the car that's rattling and a woofer, or are both the same? So let's say I don't touch the tweeter speakers, what front/rear speakers will i need? will I be replacing the speaker wires? or the factory sub? I really want to get rid of the rattling sub if I can.

THANK YOU.
Leo

ps. can you kindly give me the speakers/things i need in a budget setup and a decent setup. thank you.
My husband called the people at Crutchfield and found them really helpful, too. While I haven't installed them yet, we got Infinity speakers for the front, Boston Mobile Audio for the back speakers and am amp to run the speakers. I got a Kenwood subwoofer for the back since it seems I have limited options for the subwoofer since it needs to be a shallow mount. Then there will be an amp to power, that, too. Crutchfield was able to recommend wires we needed for installation. I also got some stuff for the insides of the doors and this thing called a Clean Sweep that is supposed to make the Factory radio sound better.

I'm assuming that all this will definitely make my stereo sound better than it did. I'll find out when it's installed. Maybe my choices helped you a bit. But the people at Cructhfield rocked as far as helpfulness. This is what I got. Can anyone tell me what this possibly might sound like installed?

Infinity Kappa 63.9i 6-3/4" 3-way car speakers For 6-1/2" and 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield Signature
Boston Acoustics SC65 6-1/2" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-3/4" openings at Crutchfield Signature
Kenwood Excelon XR-W10F Shallow-mount 10" 4-ohm subwoofer at Crutchfield Signature
Old 05-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:

THANK YOU.
Leo

Crutchfield in my opinion is overpriced. You don't need their mastersheets, can find all the info here.

If you're on a budget get these you won't be disappointed:
Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-G1643R 6.5-Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Electronics Amazon.com: Pioneer TS-G1643R 6.5-Inch 2-Way Speakers (Pair): Electronics

They're currently listed at $45/pr on amazon; got them for $36/pr about a month ago. Crutchfield sells them for $50.

If you want the easiest install grab 2 pairs of these:
METRA 72-7800 harnesses for $15 total from eBay (item #160560649553).

They sound great in my '04; good mid to high frequency response. Use existing speaker wiring.

Start slowly, change the 4 main speakers, disconnect the dash tweeters (trust me you won't need them after installing these Pioneers) and see what you want to do next.

Last edited by pilot_rave; 05-04-2011 at 12:57 PM.
pilot_rave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 06:22 PM   #12 (permalink)

Leo 38...do you have a budget in mind ???
Kenwood Excelon DDX 896
AudioControl DDC & DQS
Yokahama Geolander HTS

Thank you very much

Jeffrey Wilson
Old 05-05-2011, 11:37 AM   #13 (permalink)

There have been lots of good suggestions and comments on this subject. There are multiple threads already on here over the last couple of months which are a nice resource to learn stuff.

It's a good idea when starting a system in the Pilot to have a budget first. Once you establish that for each component you can go shopping for what you are looking for. Start with the smallest component like the door speakers. Like Oejeffrey said it's not entirely necessary to have or even buy speakers for the rear doors - they are called "rear fill" for a reason. The front door speakers (front stage) is the most critical and if you just replace them over your factory speakers you will hear a noticable difference. When you amp them you will hear a bigger difference. Your music tastes are critical on the type of speaker you buy especially for components which I recommend in the Pilot. The stock tweeter in the Pilot is located in a location that is not beneficial for your ears, it's pointed straight up and soudwaves will bounce off the windshield which won't reach your ears directly. That's why tweeters are usually placed in the kick panels or the sails on the doors close to the woofer and can be aimed at your ears. There are many good brands of component speakers that you will not find a big box stores and it will be hard to listen to some of them unless you stop by local car audio shops. Brands like Focal, CDT, Hertz, Boston, Cadence, Diamond, Helix, Image Dynamics, Mb Quart, Mmats & Rainbow to name a few. Most of their stuff is expensive but they do make good quality budget speakers that will blow anything else out of the water. You can find their products online at a number of retailers including woofersetc.com, sonicelectronix.com, partsexpress.com.

When deciding on component speakers you want to compare their RMS ratings rather than the peak ratings. Maufacturers will state 500 watts on the box but that's usually their peak ratings as opposed to what they will play at on a normal basis. Another thing to look at their sensitivity ratings. A speakers db sensivity of 89 is not as good as one with 90 db, the higher the rating the more efficient the speaker is. There are other factors to consider frequency response (the lower # indicates on how low the speaker will play, top mount depth, external crossover & what material the tweeter is made of.

Rear speakers (rear fill) is just that fill. To make the most out of your front speakers it's not a good idea to amp the rear speakers. You can but it will basically cancel out your nice components that you purchased. Theres not too much to say except if you don't amp your rear speakers you can have them run off the head unit power because they don't have much impact on your system.

A far as sub I touched on this subject before & I do not recommend a shallow mount but if done right they can sound ok. I left my stock sub alone & added a subwoofer in a custom made box in the hatch area which sounds great. It's a matter of preference but I wouldn't touch the subwoofer idea until the speakers, amp & head unit are already considered.

Headunit - to keep it or replace it that's totally up to you. The advantages that an aftermarket head unit has over stock is so great. Some people like that stock look I don't care for them, I prefer aftermarket plus you can make many aftermarket stereos look stock with the available wiring harnesses today that lets them sit flush to the dash. Having a stock radio has it's advantages it saves you time when you want to trade in or sell your Pilot. With aftermarket stereos you can add Ipod, flash drives, hd radio, etc, etc. Technical side, built in crossovers, preamp outputs signal strength. A stereo with a output signal of 4.0 or greater will send a cleaner signal to your amp. That means that your speakers will be more efficient & sound cleaner & clearer & louder. Besides all that aftermarket stereos just look cool!

Well if you decide on upgrading it's a good idea to start with your headunit if you decide to change it if not you can add a Line Output Converter if you want to add an amp to your system. Then replace yr factory speakers & then add an amp. Lastly think about getting a sub.

There are a lot more things to consider but I think that's all. If anyone has any suggestions or questions let me know.

Last edited by THE215; 05-05-2011 at 12:04 PM.
THE215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Maint Master

Good points above but if you have HU (DDX 896 etc) that has true surround (5.1,DD,DTS,PLII) then the rears become more that just fill and need a matching upgrade to balance the sound. One reason I plan on keeping my DDX-812 is it's the last Kenwood with 96/24/5.1 "lossless" DVD-A decoding.
Kenwood DDX-812 with KNA-G510 Nav, Infinity 6022si door speakers, MTX 10" Subwoofer upgrade, Alpine SBS-05DC center with JPA460 power amp in 3 channel bridged mode. Rear camera and DTV converter box with second and third row monitor screens. Wired and wireless headphone adapters.
nsaspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 01:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

That's a great point and another option but for budget concerns some of those dvd receivers can be pretty expensive. If you can afford a good dvd receiver then yes the rear speakers should be utilized.
THE215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: