2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
mds

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX

Hey Guys.
Short time follower, 1st time poster. I have been researching on a way to tap into the cd changer input of my radio to add an aux in jack for my ipod. I have a 2005 Honda Pilot EX-L with the 6 disc cd changer. Now, I have been looking on the internet for hours on end and have come to a solution and conclusion. Now, I have always used forums to find answers from other members about obstacles and situations or what not, whenever i am modding or whatever. And for the longest time i never appreciated the time members put into forming a forum for certain enthusiasts so we can all help one another. So this time I am giving back instead of just receiving.
I have come to a conclusion that there is 2 different types of 14 pin cd changer connectors and both have different pinouts. The first one is usually white, and is readily available all over the internet but the other one, is impossible. Well, I have found a wiring diagram of the radio and cd changer for the 2005 EX, EX-L, LX Pilot, with the pinout info. I will attach it here along with the pictures of the 14 pin connector and the badge of the radio in question. I will be performing this mod later this week, but in the mean time will throw the info out there because I know I am not the only one with a 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX-14-pin-connector-harness-1.jpg   2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX-14-pin-connector.jpg   2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX-2005-pilot-radio-badge.jpg   2005 Pilot 14 pin CD Changer connector, AUX, EX, EX-L, LX-2005-pilot-radio-wiring.jpg  
mds is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2011, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
mds

Ok, so I had the day off today and decided to install this aux in cable.
I am not going to go into detail about my whole install, and where i mounted it and yadda yadda yadda. I'm gonna keep it short just so you get the just of it.
So i took the HU out of course and the wires i tapped into of the 14 pin cd changer connector is wht/grn-RCH+ (right channel), blk/wht-LCH+ (left channel), and for the ground or common i used Lt Blu-SHD GND.
I had a 3.5mm head phone cable male to male and cut one end off. Spliced the wire and determined which one was R and L with an ohm meter, and joined it to those wires.
Turned the HU on, pressed the cd/chng button. Once for just cd, and once again for the changer mode, and plugged my ipod in and all is good. The sound quality is perfectly clear, and very loud. I would imagine so because there is very little signal loss because i am going directly to the harness and the only difference you would get is through the cable if any.
So I also determined that you can have a cd in the HU playing and then press the cd/chng button and then your ipod will start playing no problem.
However, you cannot have any cd's in the changer. Once guy on the web said you can have a blank cd with a silent track playing in one spot on your changer, but I for one have not used my changer since I got the car and to tell you the truth I dont think its working, because it flashes ERR on the screen of the headunit. The cd player of the head unit plays fine and I have no use for a cd changer, except for the fact that it fills a spot on the dash. Maybe in the future I will install a deck in its place. I also tried, while the ipod was playing, press one of the 6 changer buttons and the music to the ipod cut out because you are requesting a cd, but if you press the eject button, the music from the ipod plays again.
So in Conclusion I think this has been a successful mod, and hopefully other people have the same success.
thanks .
Old 01-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Why not go with some of the commercial solutions out there?
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
mds

Well, no reason except for I like to modify rather than take the easy route. Its more fun and defineately inexpensive. I think I got this 3.5mm cable at the dollar store for $2.00.
I am going to buy a usa-spec adapter that has rca in, 3.5mm in, and the ipod cable, eventually in the spring more than likely.
But theres a lot people out there that just want a simple cheap and easy route then they can do it this way.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:44 AM   #5 (permalink)

Question

mds,

Nice pics of the wiring harnesses, etc.

I have a 2005 Pilot EX with the exact setup as you.

I pulled out my headunit today and saw the 2 grey/2 blue female connectors.

One of the grey female connectors is unused.

Can this unused grey female connector be used to plug in a aux cable to run to the front of the console?

I would like to plug in a connector of some sort and not splice/mess with
the wiring if possible.

Can you post step by step instructions with pics in the method you used with the wires?

This mod would be great!!!

Danke,

Old 02-05-2011, 02:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky View Post
Why not go with some of the commercial solutions out there?
Which commercial solutions were you referring to specific to the 2005 Pilot EX headunits with the aforementioned wiring harnesses?

Old 09-30-2011, 04:08 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default What if you have factory navigation?

Saw some mention of commercial options for this. Well, I've been shopping around for a way to add an aux input to my 05 Pilot without losing the factory navigation but no luck so far. Any ideas?

I have the 6 disc CD changer but its under the driver's seat. Can I disconnect it and use that connection?

I'm also open to doing the mod myself, but would need some direction.

Thanks in advance!
LyricalRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Try Logjam.com

WEATHERTECH* Floor liners and cargo liner (Direct Order).
CURT*Trailer hitch /harness/Transmission and Power steering coolers (etrailer).
OEM *Crossbars and rear splash guard (HandA).
OEM* Foglights (Ebay/yourkeylessremote).
DEI * 452t Automatic Door Lock Modification (Sonixelectronics).
MAXXIMA*M09300 Side Marker LED light Modification (Partssystems).
SEARS*16009 Oil Catch Can Mod (Sears).

Coffee ! Is The Planet Shaking or Is It Just Me ?
cofetym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 11:45 PM   #9 (permalink)

Update: found a Jensen cassette adapter for $15 at BestBuy.com. Plugs in to the headphone jack of my iphone. Not fancy but it does the job. Sound is great!
LyricalRico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 09:31 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you don't have a 6cd changer plugged in can you just connect to the 3 pins on the connector mentioned above to a input jack for your mp3 player? Suspecting that something else has to tell the head unit that another device is present to be able to switch to it. With no 6disc changer the switch toggles Radio/Cd/Tape? But it would need to be Radio/Cd/CdChanger/Tape....where CD changer is actually the mp3 player

Similar thing done here...
http://nodivisions.com/tech/kenwood_aux_adapter/

...just stuck a resistor between the 2 pins...but which ones on Honda!!!

Last edited by PILOTHEAD; 12-17-2011 at 10:13 PM.
PILOTHEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:36 AM   #11 (permalink)

Cool

Update:

For My 2005 Honda Pilot EX,

CPHON98AUXPD arrived today in the mail
CPHON98AUXPD 1998-2005 Honda-to-iPod Interface

Installing it tomorrow

I will post the results on the install.

Cheers
Old 05-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk877 View Post
Update:

For My 2005 Honda Pilot EX,

CPHON98AUXPD arrived today in the mail
CPHON98AUXPD 1998-2005 Honda-to-iPod Interface

Installing it tomorrow

I will post the results on the install.

Cheers
Looking forward to your results! and if you can see what 2 pins the harness/adapter connects together to make the head unit aux/changer button work for the new input. a picture of the back of the plug that foes into the head unit of the adapter cable that shows which pins are used would be awesome!
Old 05-08-2012, 02:36 PM   #13 (permalink)

Question

In Surgery,

I just need to run Power 12V Switched (red wire) from the CPHON98AUXPD to one of the Honda Power Wires off a harness which I can cut and splice.

I want to use Power from the Honda 14 Pin Blue Plug (if it has it) for the 6 Disc CD Changer which I hope is the red wire?

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/4863/imageyhq.jpg

Any ideas?

More Pics:

Rear of Headunit Model Number 39100-S9V-A120
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7140/imagepof.jpg

All Plugs Off the Honda Wire Harnesses
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2827/imagesqg.jpg

Full Picture of CPHON98AUXPD (Wires Etc.)
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2252/imagegjp.jpg

Cleaner Diagram of entire CPHON98AUXPD from logjamelectronics.com
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6281/imagexdx.jpg

Old 05-08-2012, 03:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

Great start on pictures!

I cant find all the pages I found on this now but here is a link of some guys idea of what is what, you could confirm his diagram by looking at wire colors on your honda changer cable.

Honda 14-pin CD changer connector

Can you tell if any of the new connector is simply jumpering any of the terminals?...to turn on the changer function?

Please keep posting your findings!
Old 05-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #15 (permalink)

Thumbs down

Well, Good and Bad...

The above diagram was not helpful at all since there was no power off any of the wires (tested with voltage meter) from the Honda Stock Blue 14 Pin Plug.

I have full power 12v to the CPHON98AUXPD unit, off the power wire for the headunit from the 20 Pin Blue Plug (white with silver wire) the Lower Right Blue Plug in this picture.
http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2827/imagesqg.jpg
which goes in next to the 14 Pin connector on the Rear of Headunit Model Number 39100-S9V-A120
http://img560.imageshack.us/img560/7140/imagepof.jpg

The headunit sees the device, the steering wheel controls work fine, the invalid radio code issue (unmentioned) was resolved.

The car speakers work fine with am/fm/cd

When you plug in the iPhone 4 with the supplied dock connector off the CPHON98AUXPD unit you get some brief feedback through the car speakers.

When you play music off the iPhone 4 music app it does not play through the car speakers, only through the iPhone speakers.

Tomorrow I should hear back from logjamelectronics.com

Thoughts?

Last edited by dirk877; 05-09-2012 at 01:47 AM.
dirk877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: