2007 LX Stereo Upgrade - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-02-2007, 11:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 2007 LX Stereo Upgrade

OK, so we just bought a 2K7 Pilot LX and the stereo is lame. What stereos can I have installed in the LX that will have the correct footprint? What size speakers does the car take?

We would like to be reasonable with cost as this is a car for my wife and the kids.
rmclain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM   #2 (permalink)
now...4th honda

crutchfield.com put in your car make and model and it'll tell you what fits.

Good luck.
Rear mudguards
Yakima Rack
2ndhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 10:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Default try circuit city

The LX takes a standard DIN stereo. you can enter your model on Circuit City and it will tell you what fits. Better selection on Crutchfield, but Circuit City will install it for you for free. you can get a decent radio for right around $125
stevesanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 10:45 PM   #4 (permalink)

OK, maybe I should have gone with Crutchfield. I had circuit city install my Pioneer Sirius deck today. Everything went smooth until the installer tried to put the trim back on. The mounting kit that he had doesn't fit with the trim. I just called Crutchfield and ordered their mounting kit. I hope this one fits - the salesguy seemed pretty confident that it would.

There seems to be a question as to whether the 2006 and 2007 Pilot take the same mounting kit. Anybody know?
Old 07-17-2007, 06:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

Did you try a search? One of our previous members (artspilot) installed a JVC head unit in his '07 LX and did not use a kit. From the looks of his install (detailed here), you should be able to use the factory brackets and the trim that comes with your radio. Otherwise the installation kit (made by Metra, Scosche, Best Kits, AI) come with two main pieces. The LX opening is slightly smaller than the EX. The CC installer probably didn't realize this and assumed all of the pieces in the kit were the same.

OEM Running Boards, Window Visors & Other Misc. Accessories
Kenwood DDX7015 (Double-DIN Unit), KNA-DV4100 (Nav Unit), Directed 9" Overhead DVD/Monitor, Autopage RS-855LCD, AutoIntelligence BlueConnect (Handsfree Bluetooth Car Kit)
ED27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 06:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks to all who repleid thus far for your advise. I had Best Buy install an Alpine stereo CD head and Infinity speakers last week. My wife seems to be pleased wit the choice. The system definately sounds better than the stock Honda stereo! No problems with installation, fit or finish. Maybe a sub-woofer will be added later........... we'll see.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:59 PM   #7 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Glenn2007

Quote:
Originally posted by rmclain3
Thanks to all who repleid thus far for your advise. I had Best Buy install an Alpine stereo CD head and Infinity speakers last week. My wife seems to be pleased wit the choice. The system definately sounds better than the stock Honda stereo! No problems with installation, fit or finish. Maybe a sub-woofer will be added later........... we'll see.
How about some pictures?
Glenn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:54 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ED27
the installation kit (made by Metra, Scosche, Best Kits, AI) come with two main pieces. The LX opening is slightly smaller than the EX. The CC installer probably didn't realize this and assumed all of the pieces in the kit were the same.
you are right - the installer mentioned that there were two mounting brackets in the box but said they were exactly the same. I ended up buying the mounting kit from Crutchfield and they sent me the same one. Its hard to tell unless you hold the two kits up to each other, but one is about 1/8" narrower than the other. I swapped it out and it fits great.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

The stock stereo and speakers on the 07 LX are absolutely awful!!!! even if you listen to talk radio! I understand this is a base pilot, but come on.

If there was anything that I could find wrong with the vehicle, this was the thing.

I finally purchased a Kenwood KDC-MP2035 and alpine SPS-17C2 6-1/2"/6-3/4" 2-way Car Speakers for the front and rear doors. I also got the IP500 ipod control. No amp or subwoofer, I just want decent sound and ability to control my ipod from the console. Anything is better than this stock setup!

I am really happy with the Crutchfield site, and we will see how my self-installation goes.
jzcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #10 (permalink)

I did the Alpine - Infinity combination and really like it! Well, it's my wife's ride and she likes it. Now I'm trying to find a powered subwoofer to put in the back. You know, the kind that come already in an enclosure and already have an amp. The questions are: which one and how do I wire the darn thing. Any ideas that won't crank the bank?
Old 07-26-2007, 11:17 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by rmclain3
I did the Alpine - Infinity combination and really like it! Well, it's my wife's ride and she likes it. Now I'm trying to find a powered subwoofer to put in the back. You know, the kind that come already in an enclosure and already have an amp. The questions are: which one and how do I wire the darn thing. Any ideas that won't crank the bank?
I recommend crutchfield all the way. Look at their subwoofers, and usually there are installation instructions and recommended accessories.

If that fails, then just call them. They are more than helpful.
jzcrna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 01:22 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Just wondering if EX speakers work on LX pilots?

I assume yes with little modifications.

Right?
Old 09-05-2007, 07:55 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am informed they are the same. I will find out for sure next week when I get my Pilot back from the body shop. As a favor, the tech is swapping my speakers for new Pioneer ones. He had worked on an '05 EX two weeks earlier, so he'll let me know for sure if they are the same.
1987 Toyota MR2 (mine also)
skyking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 12:15 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by skyking
I am informed they are the same. I will find out for sure next week when I get my Pilot back from the body shop. As a favor, the tech is swapping my speakers for new Pioneer ones. He had worked on an '05 EX two weeks earlier, so he'll let me know for sure if they are the same.
Thanks.

I though the EX had more speakers than the LX?

Is that right?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 AM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to andyschneider

Quote:
Originally posted by netman88

Thanks.

I though the EX had more speakers than the LX?

Is that right?
The 4 door speakers are the same - but the EX has 2 tweeters in the dash, and the separately-powered subwoofer in the rear. I've found that an EX radio drives the LX speaker config pretty well, although perhaps the tweeters would be an OK addition - but the subwoofer is not missed one bit (also as compared to my wife's previous 04 EX pilot)

andy

2012 Acura TL SH-AWD (White, Wife's) - 13k miles
2013 Acura MDX (White, Mine) - 10k miles
2012 Honda Civic LX Coupe (Oldest kid out of house) - 21k miles
2004 Mazda Tribute LX 4WD (middle kid out of house) - 114k miles

Past - 04 Pilot EX-L RES, 06 Pilot LX - both 4WD
andyschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: