2004 Pilot Radio - Sirius or XM upgrade, IPOD, and or Bluetooth - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-02-2006, 09:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2004 Pilot Radio - Sirius or XM upgrade, IPOD, and or Bluetooth

We have a 2004 Honda Pilot, with the combo CD / Cassette radio. We want to add a satellite radio, and my wife has an IPOD nano. This is her car, and she commutes 45 min each way to work, and we are considering bluetooth for her phone, too.

My wife's requirements are somewhat in conflict with the technology, so I am looking for some help.

In order,here's what we want to do:

1. Add satellite radio directly to the system if possible. We do not want to use a wireless FM connection, because we want the best possible audio.

2. Keep the steering wheel audio controls.

3. Connect the IPOD on occasion.

4. Add bluetooth in the future, if economical.

When talking to Crutchfield, they showed me a connector that slipped in between the radio connection and speaker that provided an RCA input to the radio.

I think this might have been used for the optional CD changer. I don't know if this works, and what can be connected to it.

Any experience out there? Any advice will be sincerely appreciated!

Dan
dscipione is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2006, 10:31 AM   #2 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Send a message via AIM to osteome

If you check out this thread HERE

You will find some insight to your needs (my posts begin as the third entry down on the page). We had a 2003 EX-L with single CD / Cassette (no RES, no changer) to which I was able to add a hardwired XM Skyfi with the ability to change over to our Ipod (not have both simultaneously though) through a simple change over of RCA jacks. This is done through the unused CD changer port at the rear of the radio. The thread has good install picutres. It was a pretty easy install. If you have no in-dash changer or RES, then this would be thread to check out. I do believe that there is a product that would let you keep functionality to the CD changer if present and still give you an AUX connection, but we only had the one model year Pilot, so I cannot comment from experience.

On our current CRV we have a port for adding XM, to which I have connected an adaptor that will keep the XM port available, but also gives me a Ipod connector (in place of the CD changer). Our Toyota is a different beast, but it is possible to do both satellite and an Ipod.

If you need a simple connection, check out the referenced post, otherwise, "search" is your friend. For XM searches you will need to enter *XM into the search field as the function does not support 2 character entries. Good luck!

Some unknowning 2003 owner still has my Blitzsafe adaptor and power tap bumping around behind their dash......

2003 Sagebrush EX-L with lower trim, foglamps, all weather mats, cargo tray, separation net, rear flaps, XM Skyfi / Ipod via a Blitzsafe adaptor, HondaPilot.org sticker, wwong's dead pedal cover, console pads, and fog light
lens tape

His: 2002 Honda CRV EX in Mojave Mist over tan, 5 speed manual, OEM all weather mats and rear mud guards with Ipod via factory radio

Soon to be ours: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible; Silverstone Metallic II / Bamboo leather, 6 speed manual, Premium, Cold Weather, Technology, and Premium Sound Packages, 19" Wheels, Ipod adaptor
osteome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 08:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

so how does this work? when you install the adapter, how do you select the satelite radio? do you press cd? does the cd player still work?
Old 12-05-2006, 06:58 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dscipione
so how does this work? when you install the adapter, how do you select the satelite radio? do you press cd? does the cd player still work?
IIRC (we traded the Pilot over a year ago), the auxillary is chosen by selecting the CD changer key on the face of the radio (you are using this port on the back of the HU) or by selecting the source from the steering wheel controls. The volume will be lower on the particular input using this set up (this can be adressed with an small line level unit). The reaminder of the radio / CD / tape will not be effected. In a non-CD changer equipped Pilot, there is an open location on the back of the HU to add a CD changer (in the 2003, this would have been under the passenger seat if it was added). I do believe that the 2005+ Pilots have a single CD slot at the radio and an in-dash changer lower down in the stack and the port is then already used. There may be a way to get around the port already being is use with a splitter if you have an external changer, but I am not able to comment on this approach, but I do believe that you HU would be the same as the one I had.

What you are doing is connecting a plug to the open CD changer port and having it terminate in an RCA jack (see my photo of the equipment that I laid out prior to starting the project) I then used the RCA jack to connect to the back of the XM, and left slack in the cord to attach instead to the Ipod when we wanted that. This is the best way that I could find to give me both options. In our current CRV, I used a cable that will provide both an XM port for the OEM kit and a port for the Ipod using the empty XM port at the back of the HU (the input is selected by tapping the XM / Aux key on the radio back and forth). In our Toyota we have the Ipod connected through our RES system's CPU that permits the IPod to be charged and selected and have its tracks changed via the steering wheel controls. It also gives the ability for the Ipod to be selected as a separate channel for the rear headphones.

There are a number of companies that make the type of connector that you would need. We happened to use a Blitzsafe in our Pilot. (the darn thing is still there too!)

Given the location that we mounted our XM in, we just changed the connector (physically) from the back of the XM to the top of the Ipod. From my install pics you can see that I ran the line through the in-dash cubby to the area the that the XM was bracketed to. I was also able to tap into a constant power source for my XM and really cut down on the dash clutter.

The bracket was a Pro-Fit mount that I bought on-line. I may actually still have the bracket back in the US if there is any interest in it. I am heading home from Germany next week for the holidays, so I can double check on the bracket.

All told, it took me about 45 minutes to do the install in my driveway with the pictures slowing me down. It is a really easy install and beats an FM transmitter or cassette adaptor by far.

Good luck and let me know if you have any questions!.

2003 Sagebrush EX-L with lower trim, foglamps, all weather mats, cargo tray, separation net, rear flaps, XM Skyfi / Ipod via a Blitzsafe adaptor, HondaPilot.org sticker, wwong's dead pedal cover, console pads, and fog light
lens tape

His: 2002 Honda CRV EX in Mojave Mist over tan, 5 speed manual, OEM all weather mats and rear mud guards with Ipod via factory radio

Soon to be ours: 2009 BMW M3 Convertible; Silverstone Metallic II / Bamboo leather, 6 speed manual, Premium, Cold Weather, Technology, and Premium Sound Packages, 19" Wheels, Ipod adaptor
Old 12-06-2006, 08:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

EXCELLENT! we ordered a Sirius Sportster 4 radio through our AAA Club ( AAA has an additional 20% off for members right now) for $89.99 after rebates and I purchased the Honda adapter from the wholesaler for $47.00 delivered. I have a mini din RCA cable.

How do you get the dash apart? is there a source for diagrams and instructions? I will have the parts in 5 days! thank you again for the information.

Dan
Old 12-07-2006, 04:44 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dscipione
EXCELLENT! we ordered a Sirius Sportster 4 radio through our AAA Club ( AAA has an additional 20% off for members right now) for $89.99 after rebates and I purchased the Honda adapter from the wholesaler for $47.00 delivered. I have a mini din RCA cable.

How do you get the dash apart? is there a source for diagrams and instructions? I will have the parts in 5 days! thank you again for the information.

Dan
Good news to hear! The take apart is really easy. If you go to the thread linked in my first reply, I did a step by step, but also if you go back to earlier pages in the post, jay documented how to take it all apart too. The only tricky part (use patience) are the two lower trim pieces that bridge the center stack to the center console and the knock to get to the radio trim. Careful use of force and patience will get you through though! The thread should answer all for you. Good luck!

lens tape

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: