Will simply changing my speakers help with sound quality - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 11-29-2006, 01:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Will simply changing my speakers help with sound quality

OK I'm an audio and electonic idiot. So I'm going to ask some basic beginner questions here:

Will simply changing the existing OEM speakers with better ones like Bose speakers improve the overall sound quality of my Honda sound system. Or will I need to spend more money like for a new receiver , amp etc..
My goal isn't to have super booming bass where you can here me coming a mile away, and I don't play my music super loud. I just want to be able to turn up the volume in my Pilot and feel like that the speakers aren't going to blow.

It just seems to me that the quality of sound isn't that good and the louder I do turn up the music it just seems like the speakers are just laboring away and could blow any minute, Sounds a bit distorted too.

I don't want to any cutting to make things fit like new speakers. While I don't know how powerful the Honda receiver is , surely it would be strong enough to push some higher quality speakers that can put out more sound without me having to cut a bigger hole where the existing speakers are.
Keep in mind I'm an audio idiot, so please be gentle.

Any input would be appreciated.
and
2007 EX-L 4WD w/ NAV
Saddle interior
Formal Black
BoomerSooner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2006, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
along for the ride

Replacing the speakers in my '04 significantly improved the sound over the OEM speakers.

But it still doesn't come anywhere near what my OEM JBL system sounds like in my Camry. If Toyota can put such a quality system in a 25K car, you'd think Honda could at least match it in a 30K car. It's always been the one area of disappointment in my Pilot for me.
2004 Midnight Blue Pilot EX: Running Boards, Trailer Hitch, PS/AT Coolers, Fog Lights, Dog Divider, Cargo Cover, Cross Bars, Husky Mats, Thule Expressway Bike Carrier (Hitch mount), rear splash guards: Polk db650 speakers in all 4 doors, Michelin Cross Terrains (45k on OEM Bridgestones)

2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid: Titanium Metallic, Sunroof, Heated Outside mirrors, Bodyside Molding, Mudflaps (another great car and 2007 Motor Trend Car of the Year)

http://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/f49/
Mainer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 10:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

In general terms, yes - higher quality speakers alone can improve the sound significantly. However, a lot depends on where the "weak link" is in your existing system. In other words, what you're hearing as distortion may or may not be originating with your speakers, but rather with your amp. Installing better speakers in that case won't cure what ails you, though it may make your system sound better in other areas. Sorry for the non-answer, but that's the nature of the beast.
Old 11-29-2006, 11:14 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

To answer your question, Yes (with the right speakers) but pretty much anything is better than the stock junk that Honda sells with their autos.

Its important to think of your sound system as just that, its a system that needs to be working together to create a good experience. From an efficiency point of view the speakers are the weakest link, and are the part you actually hear, so changing those out to say a 6.5" Infinity or Polk etc will help a lot, adding an amp would probably be next and then changing out to a nicer head unit is probably after that. Ideally changing out the whole system would be best, or having a system designed for your interior is tops, auto manufactures have that advantage when they design your cars, and its often why they sound so good, although I have heard some bad ones, my last TL with its BOSE junk for example..

Your audio experience is very subjective, there are those that are much more critical about their music, and there is a price that is directly proportional to that end, but I think the most bang for the buck for anyone that wants a big improvement right up front would be to change out all 4 speakers with higher quality ones. I did this first thing when I bought my 05 for about $100.00 and got 2 pairs of Infinities and have been satisfied with the results. The next piece (if I ever get around to it) would be to take out the trashy sub woofer (or just disconnect it) and replace it and add an amp (which it would need). I think most folks find that just changing out the stock speakers will get you there. If you decide to spend some money and make it sound even better you have some very knowledgeable folks on this board that can help, PTO, ED27, just to name a few.
CMasten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 11:33 AM   #5 (permalink)

Default Great Advice

Great Advice guys, I thought I was just being picky about my sound system, but you guys also seem to think that the HOnda system is far from a great sounding system.

What I will do is research some good quality speakers. If I may ask what , for those of you who changed out their speakers, what kind did you swap them out with. I will just start out by changing the speakers out, and see if that will suffice.
and
2007 EX-L 4WD w/ NAV
Saddle interior
Formal Black
Old 11-29-2006, 11:41 AM   #6 (permalink)
PTO

Quote:
Originally posted by CMasten

If you decide to spend some money and make it sound even better you have some very knowledgeable folks on this board that can help, PTO, ED27, just to name a few.
I am going to have to send this link to my wife just to prove that someone called me "knowledgeable".

2004 EX-L NAV: Kicker 700.5 amp. Diamond Hex S600a. Adire Koda sub box or MTX in stock location. Alpine CHA-S634

Lingenfelter Camaro SS: Eclipse 8455 & CH3083 changer, Morel Elate 6, Arc 10D2 10", Arc 4150-XXK, Arc 2100-XXK
PTO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you're going ot do the work yourself and don't have a lot of experience with that kind of work I highly recommend Crutchfield. They will tell you what fits, provide all the adaptors and wiring you'll need along with instructions. They can be a little more expensive than other online places but they do give you a lot of valuable info.

If you're gonna pay some place to do the work then I'd still go to the Crutchfield website to see what will fit and approximately what it costs.

You can make a noticeable difference with speakers costing as little as $80/pair when it comes to the stock Pilot speakers. It's good to go with speakers that have a sensitivity above 90db. This means they will still play loud with little amplification. You also want to stick with 4 ohm speakers (the vast majority are 4 ohm anyway).
JL Audio xr650-CXi (rear)
JL Audio 500/1 amp
CDT EF-100 10" sub in stock location
Alpine MRP-F450 amp
125 sq ft of Raammat BXT
fsrenduro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 12:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by fsrenduro

You can make a noticeable difference with speakers costing as little as $80/pair when it comes to the stock Pilot speakers. It's good to go with speakers that have a sensitivity above 90db. This means they will still play loud with little amplification. You also want to stick with 4 ohm speakers (the vast majority are 4 ohm anyway).

I definitely am not going to do this myself, I will have whoever I buy the speakers from do it for me. Now it's just a matter of finding a reputable dealer/installer here.

I will check Crutchfield out to get some ideas.

Is it me or does the Pilot subwoofer not seem like that its pushing any bass. I would have expected that if you at least have a separate subwoofer that you would noticeably hear a deeper bass sound. but then my ear isn't trained for this sort of thing.

I wonder if there is a better subwoofer that will fit in that area.

thanks for everyones help.
and
2007 EX-L 4WD w/ NAV
Saddle interior
Formal Black
Old 11-29-2006, 01:07 PM   #9 (permalink)
PTO

If you order your speakers from Crutchfield and they are drop-ins, then installing them yourself is simple. That hardest part is getting the door off which once you have done it a couple of times takes about 2 minutes. Crutchfield will send you the plug and play connectors and then it is just a matter of a couple of screws.

2004 EX-L NAV: Kicker 700.5 amp. Diamond Hex S600a. Adire Koda sub box or MTX in stock location. Alpine CHA-S634

Lingenfelter Camaro SS: Eclipse 8455 & CH3083 changer, Morel Elate 6, Arc 10D2 10", Arc 4150-XXK, Arc 2100-XXK
Old 11-29-2006, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)
HondAficionado

I just ordered two sets of 6 1/2" Kicker 3-way speakers from Crutchfields that were on sale for $49/pair ~reduced from $69/pair.

It did not indicate a replacement sub-woofer for my pilot ???

If I just R&R with these new speakers should I still replace the stock sub woofer or should I just disconnect it?
Im just like the original poster: just trying to improve the stock sound without doing too much.

OLD: 06' EXLNR 4WD Pilot in Metallic Blue
Add-ons:
~Panasonic 9" overhead DVD~Ipod port~Honda cargo tray~Full size spare~Cargo area net divider for pooch~Xtreme catch all mats~sunroof visor~Exhaust finishers~rear spash guards~3M lens protector on headlights & fogs~Wwongs pad set!~"STILES" Rear Subframe Brace Retrofit Kit~Kicker replacement speakers throughout ~ and A Double coat of Meguires best!
2muchfun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-29-2006, 05:15 PM   #11 (permalink)
PTO

Crutchfield doesn't list a sub because there is no direct replacement. There are subs that will fit but all require a MDF mounting ring because the hole is bigger then the frame of a normal sub.

It is up to you on the stuck sub. I think most people who replace the door speakers feel that they getter better sound by disconnecting the stock sub.

Old 11-29-2006, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)
HondAficionado

Ok thank you,

I'll put in the new speakers and discon. the stock sub and see how it sounds. If its missing the fullness, I'll look into a better sub.

Now the next question is: If I DO end up putting in a better quality sub, must I also put in another amp.?

Add-ons:
~Panasonic 9" overhead DVD~Ipod port~Honda cargo tray~Full size spare~Cargo area net divider for pooch~Xtreme catch all mats~sunroof visor~Exhaust finishers~rear spash guards~3M lens protector on headlights & fogs~Wwongs pad set!~"STILES" Rear Subframe Brace Retrofit Kit~Kicker replacement speakers throughout ~ and A Double coat of Meguires best!
Old 11-29-2006, 07:08 PM   #13 (permalink)
PTO

There is no other amp currently. The sub is being driven off the radio. To drive a replacement sub, you will need to add an amp. The power going to the stock sub won't power a "real" sub.

Old 11-29-2006, 09:06 PM   #14 (permalink)
HondAficionado

Sorry to be a pest, I appreciate the advice

Can I use the speaker wire that goes to the sub to run the new amp if I run a good power wire back there?

Add-ons:
Old 11-29-2006, 09:59 PM   #15 (permalink)
Jose San Juan

Send a message via AIM to Josey92
Default Speaking of Subs...

... does anyone know if I should be able to control the settings of the stock sub through an Avic-Z1 (or other Avics for that matter)? Or is the adjustments for when you are running a separate amp/sub?

Just trying to figure out if 6ave mis-installed something. Currently I can hear mids and low coming out of the sub.

Any info would be great since I am going there on Friday to have them install my the custom dash kit for my Z1.

Thanks in advance.
* 2003 Silver Pilot EX-L [ended lease]
Josey92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: