Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/)
-   Maintenance (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-maintenance/)
-   -   Have you had an EGR valve problem? (http://www.piloteers.org/forums/18-maintenance/9858-have-you-had-egr-valve-problem.html)

N_Jay 10-10-2004 08:37 AM

Have you had an EGR valve problem?

Wondering if there is any EVIDENCE (rather than anecdote) that the use of Synthetic oil reduces or eliminates this problem.

gopilot 10-10-2004 01:37 PM

Had mine replaced, I have always had my oil changes done at Honda, so I believe conventional oil is used.

RipRocK 10-11-2004 02:24 AM

Hmmm, I'm surprised to see that there haven't been more votes and comments on this poll. I think it's an interesting and as scientific as you'll get in a forum like this.

I thought about starting a poll like this pertaining to the failure of the EGR valve and the number of Canadian Pilot owners to dispell the myth that the MMT in our gas caused a premature failure of EGR valves. I believe MMT has nothing to do with the rate of EGR valve failures. I think Honda just used crappy components.

Anyway, I don't fall into any categories listed above, but I still chose, "Yes I have had an EGR Replaced, I use Synthetic oil" since when I replaced my EGR valve, I was using synth at the time.

However, I started to experience the symptoms of a bad EGR valve soon after I got my darn Pilot and up until about 16K KM, I used regular oil and switched to synth.

And after an ever exacerbating and frustrating year or so after I switched to synth, I had to keep on driving my Pilot with my EGR valve acting up since none of the GD dealers in town would take it in for a diagnostic test.

Then it finally puked up an error code and the EGR valve was replaced. It's been purring like a cat ever since :D

So, I can't attribute the EGR valve problem I had with having not used nor used the synth oil. But I know once thing for certain, it truly sucks donkey's balls to be driving with a malfunctioning unit for an extended period of time.

Those of you who've had EGR valve problems or will end up with one, count yourself lucky when it throw up a code real quickly, like it did for N_Jay. Might as well have it replaced before your warranty's up if it's gonna fail anyway, rigth?

Sunday Rider 10-11-2004 08:11 AM

Good Poll.
I keep waiting for it to go. My warranty is now up. I have the extended but not sure if the EGR valve is covered.
So far so good. But thanks to RipRock's detailed posts, and other posters, I should be able to recognize it.
Maybe it is time to switch to Synthetic......

beir 10-11-2004 10:53 AM

This may sound like a stupid question but what is an EGR valve?

john802 10-11-2004 11:09 AM

EGR valve - Exhaust Gas Recirculating Valves

Scoobs 10-11-2004 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by beir
This may sound like a stupid question but what is an EGR valve?

http://autorepair.about.com/library/.../bldef-165.htm

N_Jay 10-11-2004 07:16 PM

Looky Looky!

No diference between Dino and Syn EGR rates. :4:

Larryl 10-29-2004 05:35 PM

Maybe you should be looking at the TBN at the time of the failure.

N_Jay 10-29-2004 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Larryl
Maybe you should be looking at the TBN at the time of the failure.
Why?

charles0176 10-29-2004 06:45 PM

Just exactly what are the symptoms of an EGR valve problem?

N_Jay 10-29-2004 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by charles0176
Just exactly what are the symptoms of an EGR valve problem?
Typically it is felt as a slight shudder or vibration when at a steady cruise.
When bad it will trip the Check Engine light (MIL) and sometimes the VTM-4 error light.

charles0176 10-30-2004 01:09 PM

Thanks for the info, hopefully it does not happen.

tim.s 10-30-2004 09:54 PM

Re: Have you had an EGR valve problem?

I do now at 42k...getting it replaced next week.

RipRocK 10-30-2004 10:24 PM

Re: Re: Have you had an EGR valve problem?

Quote:

Originally posted by tim.s
I do now at 42k...getting it replaced next week.
Darn! What were your symptoms, if any? Is this getting covered under your warranty?