DIY EGR Valve Replacement - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 07-31-2004, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default DIY EGR Valve Replacement

Took the Pilot to the dealer because I had the Check Engine and VTM-4 lights popping on and off the last few weeks. . . .figured it was the EGR valve problem after reading through the various EGR posts

It is. (Guess I should feel lucky this valve lasted 65k, but I don't)

But the dealer wanted $240 to essentially remove and replace six bolts - 4 on the plastic engine cover and two on the valve, as described here.

I'm wondering if there is anything more to this, cause if not, that price is outrageous.

Figure on picking up the EGR Valve for about $70 and spending 15 minutes replacing it.

I'll post pics of the attempt when I get this done over the next week or so.

But I was wondering if anyone else has done this? And if so, any pitfalls? Advice?

thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2004, 01:08 AM   #2 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

I just finish helping my friend, replacing the EGR valve and gasket on her 2002 MDX this morning. It's just a simple removal of bolts and vacuum tube and putting a new gasket and EGR valve. Make sure to torque the bolts.

EDIT: In order for you to get to the EGR valve, you need to remove the intake manifold cover.

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

Here a picture of EGR removal/replacement from 2003 Manual:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg egr valve replacement.jpg (88.8 KB, 3502 views)

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

Old 08-01-2004, 10:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Superior Honda Tech

the bolts are 12mm. If when you take the EGR valve off, the gasket is intact and looks to be in good shape, it is not neccessary to replace it. It can be very difficult at times to scrape it off the intake manifold, be vaery careful not to get any peices of the gasket in the ERG port of the intake because it will cause problems.
hondaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 11:19 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Thanks for the advice guys!

Do you think there is any concern with carbon build up because of a malfunctioning EGR?

RipRock seemed very concerned about this, but I'm not sure if I should be since I have no symptoms of a malfunctioning EGR as mentioned in other posts (shaking, vibration, hesitation).

Also, I don't fully understand why there is concern over carbon build up, thought that is just part of what happens when parts are exposed to exhaust.
Old 08-01-2004, 07:49 PM   #6 (permalink)
Superior Honda Tech

ok here's the skinny. ERG valves do not malfunction from carbon build up. The carbon build up prevents the EGR valve from working to its full potential, but it will still work... The carbon build up will screw up your emissions, will screw up the vacuum to your intake. BUT you should not have any of these problems until 180k mile or more. If you do then I am sorry but the EGR valve was bad from the start.

The good news is that Honda now makes the intake, injector, EGR ports accessible. NO more drilling or removing the intake and soaking. It is just about a DIY job. So if this ever happens I can tell you how you can save yourself a lot of money.

Just a tip before doing the EGR replacement. To make sure it is bad, put vacuum on it while having your finger on the diaphram, just underneath the top part. If the diaphram moves up while applying vaccum and moves down when vacuum is released___you have a good EGR. You can rent vacuum pumps at some auto parts stores, or ask a local auto shop. Just dont want you to get ripped off by the dealer lookin for a quick buck.
hondaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 06:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default vacuum or electronic

Just wondering if anyone knows if the EGR is vacuum actuated or electronically actuated.

My hunch is electronic, because I don't see vacuum lines going to the EGR, but rather a huge electrical connector.

That might make a world of difference since my extended warranty will cover the electronic EGR, but not a vacuum EGR.
Old 08-02-2004, 06:29 PM   #8 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

Default Re: vacuum or electronic

Quote:
Originally posted by Dano
Just wondering if anyone knows if the EGR is vacuum actuated or electronically actuated.

My hunch is electronic, because I don't see vacuum lines going to the EGR, but rather a huge electrical connector.

That might make a world of difference since my extended warranty will cover the electronic EGR, but not a vacuum EGR.
Our Pilot has a electrically actuated EGR per 2003 service manual.

Old 08-02-2004, 09:08 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

very cool. . .

with a no deductible warranty, this will be getting replaced on them. And IMHO, they should have comped this anyway, with all the EGR valve problems

thanks again!
Old 08-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #10 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dano
very cool. . .

with a no deductible warranty, this will be getting replaced on them. And IMHO, they should have comped this anyway, with all the EGR valve problems

thanks again!
Way to go, Dano! I was away for a few days and just was getting caught up on this thread. When I read your first post, I was going to write right away that you should try to get Honda to replace the darn thing free of charge, but I found this bit of good news on your part at the end.

The reason I was so concerned with how dirty my engine might've ended up being because of the EGR valve problem I was having for probably over a year was because I saw just how filthy and dirty the gasket cover/lid was. This isn't the plastic cover I'm talking about, the metal plate you need to remove to be able to loosen the bolts that holds the gasket in place.

It was absolutely filthy. Also, I saw how caked up the EGR port was. The diameter had been reduced probably to half of what it normally should be. The kicker was, the port was never cleaned at all. It was never unclogged. Of course, after I got the car back, I tried to convince the service dept to take my car in again to properly unclog the port, but they gave all the excuses in the book and I just gave up.

Anyway, glad things've worked out for you!
RipRocK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 02:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to Scancord

Mine lasted only 12k, same lights went on, bad design part
Scancord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 07:46 AM   #12 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

RipRock,

so you never got the port cleaned? I'm sure my dealer, who is replacing the valve tomorrow, won't clean the port either. . . just slap the new valve on.

How's your pilot running?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:25 PM   #13 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Dano, no, it never ended up being cleaned. The advisor told me that with the new EGR valve, the crud build up will eventually be "burnt" away. I don't know whether he was BS'ing me or not, but I just didn't wanna argue anymore.

The car's running just fine ever since the valve replacement though. But I just finished the cleaning phase of my engine using this stuff called Auto-Rx. I never would've ended up using this type of stuff had it not been for the bum EGR valve and the filth I saw on the intake manifold gasket cover.

But I think my EGR valve was bad almost from day one. Certainly, I had been driving with a faulty one for over a year before my Pilot threw up a code. So, I'm sure I'm the exception, not the norm.
Old 08-05-2004, 07:29 PM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RipRock
So, I'm sure I'm the exception, not the norm.
I wouldn't count on that. . . .
Old 11-02-2004, 03:57 AM   #15 (permalink)
Super Duper Member

Just wanted to report on my Pilot's situation regarding the use of Auto-RX. Some of you might know about the pinging/ratchety sound problem I was having, particularly under moderately heavy to heavy load, between 3K - 4.5K RPM.

I was searching and searching and discussing with people in here and over at the X site as well about it with no fix for the problem. dukeofjuke had his problem and had it resolved when it was determined that his "Y-pipe" had a faulty baffler and something was lose in there, but that wasn't the case with me.

But what I am reporting here is that, after the full two treatments or cycles with Auto-RX, my pinging/ratchety sound is pretty much gone now.

It just may be coincidental, but I don't care. All's I know is that after following the prescribed use with Auto-RX, the dreaded and torturing sound is gone. I can now punch the gas pedal without wincing or fears of something go wrong. The sound is just gone.

Auto-Rx is the only variable in this figurative equation. Before I used it, no matter what I tried, even using 5 straight tanks of premium gas (octane 91), the sound was still there. I used Chevron's Techron along with the more expensive gas right before an oil change and it still was there.

But as I finished my first treatment with Auto-Rx, I noticed the sound did diminish somewhat. But now that I've fully finished the second cycle and had an oil change like you're supposed to, the noise is pretty much gone.

I am relieved. I am happy. I love my Pilot now. Ironically, right after my warranty ended, the window scrunching sound (for which I did apply a liberal amount of silicone gel), and the pinging/ratchety sound were gone.

I now merge onto freeways without fearing the sound piercing through my ears. I now can punch the gas with a peace of mind. (Please save me the sanctimonious, "you shouldnt've got a Pilot if you're gonna drive it like a sports car. I don't, but there's nothing wrong with wanting some power now and then when needed.)

I think a few things I can draw from this is that, my pinging/ratchety sound problem was entirely from within the engine, since Auto-Rx is supposed to thoroughly clean the innards of your engine and when used for the 2nd cycle, tightening up the seals somehow. You can read all about it over at www.auto-rx.com.

But, I found out about this stuff after reading positive reviews after another at www.bobistheoilguy.com. There, you'll find testimonials after another about many products. Auto-Rx's testimonials rank right up there in terms of customer satisfaction.

I saw firsthand how dirty the inside of my intake gasket manifold was when the EGR valve was being replaced. This isn't the plastic cover, but the actual aluminum plate that needs to be taken off when doing this. When that caked up sludge was present in my religiously maintained Pilot (@5,000KM/3,100mile interval) maintenance schedule, I really had nothing but the EGR valve to blame. And remember, I was suffering from the faulty unit for probably a little over a year.

After the EGR valve was replaced, the sound was still there, much to my dismay and disappointment. But after the prescribed rigorous treatment with Auto-Rx, the sound now is gone. I'm sold on this stuff and I plan to use it, with all my cars from now on. I ordered a couple more to use on my minivan.

I never had much problem with the Pontiac Transport at all and certainly has had less problems than the Pilot even though we gave it half the maintenance procedures as the Pilot, having owned it more than twice as long. But I'll still give it the Auto-Rx treatment, after seeing what it's done to my Pilot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: