5W-20 vs 5W-30 - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 3.00 average.
Old 04-04-2004, 01:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Never Say Die!!!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default 5W-20 vs 5W-30

As the oil requirements for our Pilots are specified in the manual. (5W-20) Is does not say use 5w-20 if driven in colder climates, not does it give the option of using a thicker oil in warmer conditions. I have read extensively about oil and filters see absolutely no reason for Honda to specify this oil. CAFÉ standards?

However, I had the oil changed at the dealer last week. (Only because I had a free oil change coupon) I did not ask for specific weight oil as it is clear what Honda recommends. Low and behold, the dealer used a 5W-30-bulk oil (of unknown brand).
Now I know there is not a lot of difference in 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils, this brings me back to the original question. Why is Honda hot on 5W-20?

I will use Mobil 1 5W-30. I can find it everywhere.
nolan65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 01:31 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: 5W-20 vs 5W-30

Quote:
Originally posted by nolan65
As the oil requirements for our Pilots are specified in the manual. (5W-20) Is does not say use 5w-20 if driven in colder climates, not does it give the option of using a thicker oil in warmer conditions. I have read extensively about oil and filters see absolutely no reason for Honda to specify this oil. CAFÉ standards?

However, I had the oil changed at the dealer last week. (Only because I had a free oil change coupon) I did not ask for specific weight oil as it is clear what Honda recommends. Low and behold, the dealer used a 5W-30-bulk oil (of unknown brand).
Now I know there is not a lot of difference in 5W-20 and 5W-30 oils, this brings me back to the original question. Why is Honda hot on 5W-20?

I will use Mobil 1 5W-30. I can find it everywhere.
There has been tons of discussion on this topic.

No one except for the inerr circle of Honda are going to know the REAL reason.

Likely suspects are CAFE requirments, Thinner oil for V-Tec purposes, Less oil "cooking" since thinner oil spends more time cooling in the pan and less time being cooked high up in the engine, less sludge build up, and about 10 other guesses.

Of course for every one of these popsibilities is a offsetting theory such as CAFE ratings, planned obsolecense, CAFE ratings, To force the purchase of Honda oil, CAFE ratings, and did I say CAFE ratings.

Then we get into the who discussion of whether we need to use a difgferent oil at different ambient temperatures since the internal temperature is fairly stable.

Than add the 30 to 60 years of old habbits and old wives tales and who knows what the answer is?
Old 04-04-2004, 01:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Never Say Die!!!

Of course this horse has been whipped.
I was mystified when the DEALER used the 5W-30
I thought it odd that Honda called for the 20 weight and then used the 30…
Old 04-04-2004, 01:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

When it comes to mechanical inclination, I can safely say that I was blessed with none. I've tried at length to comprehend the motor oil debate and all of the technical language that's used, but when the smoke clears, I'm still going to use what the manual says and more to the point, what the Honda garage uses.

I've been taking my Hondas to the same dealer service center for longer than I can remember. I put my trust that they're going to service my car properly and use the prescribed weight/make of oil. So I suppose I'm saying that I don't care about the oil. They use what they use and that's that. They stand behind all that they do, and what Honda prescribes for the vehicle. All of my previous Hondas lasted for many years, and all by doing it by the "book".
Old 04-04-2004, 01:59 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:

I was mystified when the DEALER used the 5W-30
. .
Actually, I am mystified when the dealer does follow Honda's instructions at all.
Old 04-04-2004, 08:31 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Some of the newer engines are using thinner oil for better fuel economy and lower emissions.
My son's new Ford Escape uses 5w20 also.
I've been using it in my Pilot since new and haven't had any problems in 30K with it yet (knock on wood).
Here's a couple links that may help.

Go down to myth #8 Heavier is better. Thicker is better.
http://www.quakerstate.com/pages/carcare/whattoknow.asp

http://www.1st-in-synthetics.com/articles72.htm
05 Acura MDX Touring (sold) 03 Honda Pilot EX Havasu Blue #3939.
02 Toyota Highlander Ltd Vintage Gold.
BillR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 06:48 PM   #7 (permalink)

I was one of the first to be exposed to 5w-20 oil with my 2001 Escape. I initially used this oil for fear of warrantee problems, but after reading several articles I switched to 5w-30 synthetics.

When this oil came out it was for one reason: To increase CAFE fuel milage figures.

That being said, I do believe that 5w-20 oil will adequately protect your engine under normal circumstances and wear will not be abnormal. I am not about to caution you not to use what Honda recomends......Nobody will.

I have read several articles on the new lighter weight oils. One of which I read in Modern Lubrication Magazine that explained the reason for this oil, tests results, and showed concern about manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon.

Mobile 1 Synthetic 5W-30 weight oil is all that is going in my car for the following reasons:

1) Viscosity of the the Mobile 5w-30 in cold temperatures is better than dino 5w20. The kinematic viscosity (9.7) of M1's 5W30 is so close to the lower side of the range (9.3) that it is very close to a 5w20 oil to begin with.

2) I am not on the CAFE bandwagon. Protection under towing conditions and performance driving is important for me.

3) What is the difference between the tolerances or design of the earlier Honda v-6's that required 5w-30 and this motor that now require 5w-20? I am new to Honda. They did the same thing with my Escape when they put this engine in a SUV.

4) I am not going to trade my vehicle in any time within the first 10 years or 150,000 miles so prolonging life (Mobile 1 every 5K) is an important cost of ownership for me.

Being new to this forum I do not know if this article has been posted but it may be helpful.

http://www.performanceoiltechnology.com/ford5w20.htm
Caf2461 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:04 PM   #8 (permalink)

ok, i've read this thread....but here's the thing:
if you look on the mobil 1 bottles, it's the 0w20 weight that says "recommended for Ford and Honda engines with 5w20"

so, what does anyone know about 0w20? why go to the 5w30?

2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4, Red Brawn with graphite/steel interior. Highlights include: Leather seating w/memory, Rockford Fosgate stereo w/10 speakers and 6 disc changer, fog lights, running boards, off-road package, big tow package, and utility bed package.
pilot critter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2004, 10:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Mobile 1 is not available in 5w-20 (only 0w-20), and this is their way of telling the consumer that this is the oil to use for factory recommended 5w - 20 applications.

Like I said earlier I do believe that any 0 or 5w-20 will adequately protect your engine. Mobile is able to achieve great oils like 0w-40 by formulating them in raw synthetic form. Even their 0w-20 oil protects well against thermal breakdown and will not carmelize when burnt at the temperatures most dino oils will.

Before the government fuel gods imposed thier pressure, all cars came with a chart for various recommended viscosities dependant on environment and use. Unlike some petroleum based oils, viscosity is not as variable with temperature, and for all but the coldest environments 5w-30 will flow and protect. The shear barrier that motoroil provides between metal parts is what prevents them from wearing. I personally think under hard use (in the long haul) the 5w30 provides a better barrier against wear, providing better cling to these metal parts.
Old 04-08-2004, 06:37 PM   #10 (permalink)

When I took my 04' EX in for its first oil change, I asked the service manager to us a full synthetic 10w-30.
He told me that the only oil they have is a standard 10w-30, and that they put it in all Hondas that come in for oil change.

Well, I now go to a quick sevice oil place and get a full synthetic 5w-20 (thats what they recommend and also recommended by Honda).
I might switch to a 5w-30 synthetic for the hot summers down here.

Traded-in 2004 SandStone Ex-L w/Navi
Honda OEM Chrome Side Step, Honda OEM Wood Trim Set, Goodyear Fortera Silent Armor Tires,Chrome SS "Pilot" Exhaust Tips, Cross bars, mud flaps, Sylvania XtraVision bulbs, Draw-Tite class III trailer hitch, Tule 4 bike carrier.

2007 Honda S2000 Silverstone metallic, Red/Black leather interior
Spaceentity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 08:18 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Spaceentity
. .
I might switch to a 5w-30 synthetic for the hot summers down here.
Tampa is not as hot as AZ or parts of TX.
Old 04-08-2004, 09:41 PM   #12 (permalink)
Never Say Die!!!

Interesting read...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ccd0006.pdf (160.7 KB, 1005 views)
Old 04-09-2004, 09:09 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Interesting read...
Yes, it is.

Clearly, the EPA states that if the Manufacture recommends any viscosity other than this fuel effecient oil, they cannot claim the emmission/fuel benefits from the oil. Now I know why my oil fill caps were painted 5w-20!
Old 04-09-2004, 10:42 AM   #14 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Interesting read...
Yes. it spells out in no uncertain terms that the dealerships are supposed to be putting in 5w-20 into customres vehicles. Meanwhile when i goto honda for oil changes, all they have is 5w-30 oil?? Looks like in 2004 they have to prove to the board that they are using 5w-20 in oil changes with receipts.

04 Pilot SBP - Tow Package, Rear Muds, Fog Lights, Cargo Mat (Traded)

Claire & Victoria - Double Trouble
PNW-Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 08:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

Dealer is using 5w30, and when I insisted on 5w20 he charged me extra $7.. They were trying to convince me that there is no real differences between 5w20 and 5w30 , and they said that 5w30 actually better.
Using 5w30 won't shorten engine life?
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: