Transmission fluid changed - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Transmission fluid changed

FYI - had the transmission fluid changed yesterday at 40,000 miles. I decided to change the fluid because it looked like regular engine oil instead of the universal red color I'm use to seeing.

So, you might want to check yours too if your up there in (highway) miles like me.

The dealer charged me $40.89 in Atlanta (Curry Honda).
<b>2003 Honda Pilot Starlight Silver Metallic</b>, EXL-(RES -aftermarket), #15933, Side Steps, Air (Bug) Deflector, Rear Splash Guards & Crossbars, Honda swapped out Goodyear?s for Cross Terrains back to a <b>new version of the Goodyear?s, plus new rims ? no vibration to date!!!</b>
<b>2002 Honda CRV EX-(L aftermarket)</b>, Perfect Fit Air (Bug) Deflector
<b>QUADRUPLETS ON THE WAY!!</b> – Due June 30, 2005 – Arrive probably in April early May.
pilot4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 08:17 AM   #2 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

The normal maintenance schedule recommends a fluid replacement at 45k miles, and the severe schedule recommends 30k. With all the stop and go driving in my commute, I follow the severe schedule, and will get mine changed at 30k.

Does your driving fall into the normal, severe, or some mix of those categories?
Old 01-21-2004, 08:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

It's funny you bring that up because the service advisor said it was to be changed at 60,000 miles per his records. Imagine that!!!

Needless to say, I do what the owners manual says.

Back to your original question: I figure my driving falls in the normal because I drive mostly highway (70 miles) round trip Monday through Friday averaging 65 to 70 mph. Ive been to Florida 5 times too since ownership - late summer of 2002.

FYI - To date, no problems other than the saggy leather seats.
<b>2003 Honda Pilot Starlight Silver Metallic</b>, EXL-(RES -aftermarket), #15933, Side Steps, Air (Bug) Deflector, Rear Splash Guards & Crossbars, Honda swapped out Goodyear?s for Cross Terrains back to a <b>new version of the Goodyear?s, plus new rims ? no vibration to date!!!</b>
<b>QUADRUPLETS ON THE WAY!!</b> – Due June 30, 2005 – Arrive probably in April early May.
Old 01-21-2004, 09:41 PM   #4 (permalink)
Le Moderator Ranger

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe

pilot4me: I love the name of your city in the state you live in!!!

I wonder if there's such a place as Atlanta, Texas...???
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 07:09 AM   #5 (permalink)

kemosabe: That's funny.... there is an Atlanta,Texas.

See link - http://www.atlantatexas.org/
Old 01-22-2004, 05:41 PM   #6 (permalink)
Le Moderator Ranger

Send a message via AIM to kemosabe Send a message via Yahoo to kemosabe

Quote:
Originally posted by pilot4me
kemosabe: That's funny.... there is an Atlanta,Texas.

See link - http://www.atlantatexas.org/

I learn something new everyday!!! Thanks, pilot4me!!!
kemosabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:39 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACEMENT

Is replacing the automatic transmission fluid a job within the scope of say a "weekend mechanic"? Is this job more complicated than replacing the engine oil or rear differential fluid?

Does anyone have a repair manual diagram and brief outline description of "how to replace the automatic transmission fluid"?

Thanks for any help or feedback.
Running Boards/Sylvania Silverstar/Rear Splash Guard/Wheel Locks/ Yakima Cross Bar w/Low Riders/Honda Hood Air Deflector /Michelin Wipers
Cargo Cover/WeatherTech Advantage Plush Mats
Ventshade Window Visors (wish I got
the Visors from WeatherTech
Hidden Hitch/Mobile One 0W-20
Pilot Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 06:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Default Re: TRANSMISSION FLUID REPLACEMENT

Quote:
Originally posted by Pilot Owner
Is replacing the automatic transmission fluid a job within the scope of say a "weekend mechanic"? Is this job more complicated than replacing the engine oil or rear differential fluid?

Does anyone have a repair manual diagram and brief outline description of "how to replace the automatic transmission fluid"?

Thanks for any help or feedback.
From the Service Manual.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg temp_412617571615.jpg (193.8 KB, 10899 views)
Old 01-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

The fill hole, depicted in the diagram on the right above, has a white plug in it. It looks pretty hard to get to. Looking into the hood from the driver's side, it's the white plug below and in front of the brake fluid reservoir.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg atfplug2.jpg (54.2 KB, 10913 views)
Old 01-27-2004, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)

Default RE: ATF Change Procedures

Jay;
Many thanks for your prompt and very helpful all-inclusive directions! This should save me much labor $$$$ if I had gone to the dealer!
Running Boards/Sylvania Silverstar/Rear Splash Guard/Wheel Locks/ Yakima Cross Bar w/Low Riders/Honda Hood Air Deflector /Michelin Wipers
Cargo Cover/WeatherTech Advantage Plush Mats
Ventshade Window Visors (wish I got
the Visors from WeatherTech
Hidden Hitch/Mobile One 0W-20
Pilot Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 10:33 PM   #11 (permalink)

The drain plug is easy. Look at the trans from the bottom and the left side to find it. Use a square drive of a 3/8 inch drive socket wrench.
The fill bolt is 17 mm size and may be very very hard to remove. The picture posted by jay is very good. Access is fair. The force needed is very high. The first time it is removed it takes alot more than the spec of 33 ft/lbs to loosen it. It may take 120 ft/lbs. Also, that white paint marking the fill bolt may come off in flakes. Be careful no paint flakes get inside the transmission. You might want to fill it through the dipstick hole.
vinograd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:20 AM   #12 (permalink)

Don't you normally fill trans fluid through the dipstick hole (at least that's what I'm used to on US cars).

Jim
oem fog lights - oem running boards - Drawtite trailer hitch (just for bikes) - rear splash guards - cargo cover - bugflector II - Husky cargo liner - Fumoto oil drain plug
jzshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 08:33 AM   #13 (permalink)
jay
Super Senior Member

Quote:
Originally posted by jzshanks
Don't you normally fill trans fluid through the dipstick hole (at least that's what I'm used to on US cars).

Jim
The Owner's manual tells you to top it up through the dipstick hole if it's low, but the Service Manual says to use the fill hole shown above when replacing the fluid.
Old 02-01-2004, 04:58 PM   #14 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

Quote:
Originally posted by jay
The Owner's manual tells you to top it up through the dipstick hole if it's low, but the Service Manual says to use the fill hole shown above when replacing the fluid.
I'm ready to change my transmision fluid, and I would like to know what is the downside of filling new transmission fluid using the dipstick hole instead of the filler hole.

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 05:02 PM   #15 (permalink)
Rip Tide Dude!

Default Re: ATF Change Procedure

Thanks Jay for posting the ATF Change Procedure,

OEM Full Nose Mask | Wheel Locks | Cross Bars | OEM Running Boards | Chrome Accent - OEM Running Board | Rear Splash Guard | OEM '04 Horn | Cloud-Rider Spectare Black Stainless Steel Grille Screen & Bumper Combo | Thule Ski Rack #725 | Thule Snowboard Carrier #575 |OEM All Season Floor Mats |OEM Cargo Tray | Pilot Motorsports #PM555 Stainless Steel Exhaust Tips | PowerStation Pro Portable Charger/Compressor/Emergency Light | Tire Step Ladder | Eurodezigns Blue Xenon H4 Bulbs & H3 Fog Light Bulbs | Infinity Kappa Speakers | Dynamat Original/Extreme | Complete Set of 3M Protector | 3M Metallic Tint | Covercraft Noah Custom Cover | Microtune #141X Antenna Amplifier | Dashmat Dash Cover | Full Size Spare Tire | Broadway Napolex BW-86 Wide Inside Rear View Mirror | Complete Sets of Dark Smoke WeatherTech WeatherFlectors | Westin Black Rear Bumper Guard | 3rd Brake Light Mod | 6 Disc CD Changer |

The dawn of love would be the end of pleasure!
john802 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: