DIY 2006 ATF change - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY 2006 ATF change

I used some other great write-ups on these forums to change my ATF fluid. Easy job and well worth the time and money savings from having the dealer do it.

Get the engine to normal operating temperature (the fans come on).
Make sure you have 4 or 5 qts of ATF DW-1 fuid. (The book calls for 3.9qts)
Locate the ATF fill bolt. It says ATF on it. It's a 17mm bolt. (Circled in picture below)

It was extremely tight, I was able to break it loose with a torque wrench since it had a longer handle. I used a 3" and 10" extension.

The drain bolt is under the vehicle. It should have some blue paint on it. Use a 3/8" socket wrench to remove it.

The drain plug had some sludge on it from the magnet. The last change was at 40,000 miles and I am at 128,000 now. Probably a little too long to let it go, I plan on doing the drain/fill (not flush) every other oil change or every 3rd.

Wipe off the sludge and put the drain bolt back in when the fluid stops draining. The crush washer was stuck to the transmission, i had to use a screwdriver to knock it off.

Add fluid in the fill bolt using a long narrow funnel and check the dipstick every few ounces after you start the fourth bottle. Mine took almost all 4 qts.

Tighten drain plug to 36ft/lbs and fill plug to 33ft/lbs.

I used new washers for both bolts. Most people probably don't and I won't every time if I am changing it more often in the future, but since it has been so long, I got new ones. They were $8 for both washers, so not cheap! Here are the part numbers and pictures of the new and old ones. The larger one on the right is for the fill bolt.

After putting 3qts in it was starting to show up on the dipstick. 3.5 covered the bottom hole and the second hole was filled when I got down to 4oz left in the 4th bottle.

It took me about an hour since it was my first time. I would expect to be able to do it in 20 min. next time.

Last edited by humanoid; 01-14-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-01-2014, 06:38 PM

ATF plus

Good Points, when the transmission is topped up with new fluid , I then drop the return line from the radiator, put a clear hose from the rad into a 5 litre jug and turn over the engine till a litre pumps out and refill. 6 or 7 litres later I have a fully cleaned out system. Takes a little longer but I have very little sludge on the drain plug the next time I change the fluid.

2005 Honda Pilot EXL
2003 GMC Envoy XL
2002 Toyota Highlander
1993 Mercedes 600SL

I am lost when there is no grease under my finger nails.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-06-2014, 03:06 PM

Nice pictures and nice write up. Next time I perform this task I will compose pictures of changing the fluid via disconnecting the radiator hose method.

DIY Threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 12:58 AM

Stop using your torque wrench to break bolts loose! It wasn't designed for that and will mess up the calibration. Use a cheater or a breaker.

Thanks for the pics!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-07-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
Stop using your torque wrench to break bolts loose! It wasn't designed for that and will mess up the calibration. Use a cheater or a breaker.

Thanks for the pics!
Although it is not a good practice or recommended to break torque on a nut or bolt hold. Just me, I would have seen the need for a longer tool for more leverage and bought one ahead of time. Some people take on a task without getting all the tools required and then run into a predicament where they now how parts and pieces taken apart and can't get to a store to buy additional tools. So having a tool with leverage handy at the time, I could see how one would use it. After that then go out and buy a breaker bar.

No reason to be so blatant with your post. Another approach is to give the negative affects of useing a torque wrench in this manner rather than for it's intended purpose. The approach I would take:

The negative affects of using a torque wrench to break the torque of a bolt or nut are the following:
1. the springs and inner workings take a beating each time a difficult nut is broken loose
2. unscrewing nuts and bolts will just wear out the springs and the mechanism faster, and the torque readings that it gives will be compromised
3. a torgue wrench is designed to have a precise calibration for a certain number of cycles (3000 to 5000) after those cycles or time period has been met, recalibration is recommended.

"After several heat cycles and the accumulation of dirt and grime that can coat everything in a race car, a bolt can gall against the threads and require a lot more torque to remove than was required to originally install. Most of us don’t watch the torque when loosening bolts, so it’s quite possible to exceed the maximum torque loading of a wrench when breaking bolts loose. The wrench will still function in terms of tightening or loosening bolts, but by exceeding its maximum torque limit loosening that tight bolt may have thrown off the calibration."

DIY Threads

Last edited by Armystrong; 01-07-2014 at 09:18 AM.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-12-2014, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

I do need to get a breaker bar... I figured it wasn't good for the torque wrench, but I didn't know it would damage it. Thanks for the info!
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-13-2014, 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armystrong View Post
Although it is not a good practice or recommended to break torque on a nut or bolt hold. Just me, I would have seen the need for a longer tool for more leverage and bought one ahead of time. Some people take on a task without getting all the tools required and then run into a predicament where they now how parts and pieces taken apart and can't get to a store to buy additional tools. So having a tool with leverage handy at the time, I could see how one would use it. After that then go out and buy a breaker bar.

No reason to be so blatant with your post. Another approach is to give the negative affects of useing a torque wrench in this manner rather than for it's intended purpose. The approach I would take:

The negative affects of using a torque wrench to break the torque of a bolt or nut are the following:
1. the springs and inner workings take a beating each time a difficult nut is broken loose
2. unscrewing nuts and bolts will just wear out the springs and the mechanism faster, and the torque readings that it gives will be compromised
3. a torgue wrench is designed to have a precise calibration for a certain number of cycles (3000 to 5000) after those cycles or time period has been met, recalibration is recommended.

"After several heat cycles and the accumulation of dirt and grime that can coat everything in a race car, a bolt can gall against the threads and require a lot more torque to remove than was required to originally install. Most of us donít watch the torque when loosening bolts, so itís quite possible to exceed the maximum torque loading of a wrench when breaking bolts loose. The wrench will still function in terms of tightening or loosening bolts, but by exceeding its maximum torque limit loosening that tight bolt may have thrown off the calibration."

That's a lot of words to say the same thing I just said. Sometimes short and simple is better.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-14-2014, 03:17 PM

So true...and sometimes people need an explanation or additional information to understand the short and sweet answer. That is the only reason why I provide additional info. Both are on the same sheet of music and hopefully everyone else is to.

DIY Threads

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-15-2014, 01:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armystrong View Post
So true...and sometimes people need an explanation or additional information to understand the short and sweet answer. That is the only reason why I provide additional info. Both are on the same sheet of music and hopefully everyone else is to.
Agreed. And that was a good explanation of why not to use a torque wrench to break bolts .
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 10:28 PM

This is probably a dumb question but are both the fill and drain bolts the usual "left loose.....right tight"?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 10:41 PM

^^^^ Yes. But there are no dumb questions. Just dumb answers.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer View Post
^^^^ yes. But there are no dumb questions. Just dumb answers.
thanks!
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robs View Post
The only problem with the cheater/breaker is that sometimes I can't get the correct angle for optimal leverage. I bought a 1/2 drive torque wrench from Harbor Freight ($10 with coupon) and use it solely as a ratcheting breaker bar for these situations. I set the torque setting to maximum before tugging or beating the mallet on the wrench. My other torque wrench, which is only used for bolt/spark plug installation, gets treated a lot more gently.

2005 Honda Pilot LX
- Aftermarket window tint, Kenwood stereo

2014 Toyota Tacoma Double Cab Longbed 4x4 Limited
- Aftermarket bed lights, In-cab AC power outlet, Auxiliary reverse lights, Door Chime shut-off, Glove box LED lights, Rear differential two-way breather

Previous: 1990 Honda Civic (still running), 2003 Toyota Tacoma XtraCab PreRunner
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-26-2017, 01:51 PM

I don't want to jack this thread but the cost of the crush washers (as shown in post #1) can easily be brought to a reasonable fee with a little searching. In Canada there's place called Spaenar (I'm sure nut/bolt/fastener companies similar exist in the US) where I bought a box of 100 crush washers for each of the oil pan bolt, trans pan bolts, diff bolt. Each box cost $37ish. It's worth seeking these supply places as the stealership fees for an aluminum washer are just stupid.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-25-2017, 09:16 AM

I've got a MY05 pilot that I'm 2/3rds the way through a 3 step flush. Each time I do this, the trans needs another 1/2 quart or so a week or so after the flush. Is this common?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: