Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

rear sway bar bushings

19K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  switch 
#1 ·
ok, bought new bushings and went to change them today and WTF, I thought changing the front were difficult, the rear look impossible unless I get in the vehicle and cut the back floor out, anyone ever changed these without dropping the gas tank, thats what it looks to me to reach the dam things.

#6 ·
well people, managed to change these, not for an amateur to do and you need lots of patience and perseverance, will pay a shop when I have to do my ridgeline unless I spring for a hoist. No where as difficult as the timing belts that I have changed on the pilot but just a ***** to do.

#11 · (Edited)
Update: I finally was able to replace the rear sway bar bushings. Removing the bolts from the sway bar bracket was a PITA because the clearance was tight. Basically, I lowered the rear sub frame with the jack supporting it. Once both of the bushings are replaced, I re-raised the sub frame and re-torque them to 75/lb.

#15 ·
Does anyone know what is suppose to keep the sway bar centered in the sub frame. I have been under my MDX several times recently and every time the sway bar has been worked all the way to one side. With it is like this the sway bar is rubbing on the side of the sub frame. I can recenter it with pry bar, but the next time I look it is back to one side.

I wonder if the sway bar bushings are so worn that they are letting the sway bar move sideways. I now am pretty sure the noise I hear has something to do with the sway bar, because if I drive it with the sway bar links removed the noise is gone.

Thanks!

#16 ·
I am having the same problem with my 03 honda pilot. I can move my sway bar side to side by hand. its so bad that while driving the bar moves so that it touches the frame and makes creaking door noises. I believe it is the bushings that are supposed to keep the bar centered and attached to the frame. But can someone confirm that? Does anyone have any experience with sliding/moving sway bars?

#17 ·
I've changed my RSB on 07 pilot and I can say that there's nothing there that's suppose the keep the sway bar centered. After a few years of driving the bushing will strip off the paint and eventually rust, therefore a small "grove" will form to help keep it centered.
Even with 10 years old bushing it never moved side to side just from driving, just a lot of clunking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.