Mixing synthetic trans fluid ??? - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 12-22-2011, 09:43 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Mixing synthetic trans fluid ???

Hi Folks, just finished changing engine oil, vtm-4 oil, and transmission oil. At the third litre of oil during refill i realized the dealer gave me a Honda synthetic oil as opposed to the regular oil, I took it for a ride and all seems ok. has anyone else mixed the two oils and what were your results>>> thanks in advance.
goneb4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2011, 10:10 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneb4u View Post
Hi Folks, just finished changing engine oil, vtm-4 oil, and transmission oil. At the third litre of oil during refill i realized the dealer gave me a Honda synthetic oil as opposed to the regular oil, I took it for a ride and all seems ok. has anyone else mixed the two oils and what were your results>>> thanks in advance.
When you refer to synthetic vs regular, are you talking engine oil or transmission oil? Either way, I wouldn't be concerned. Honda recently changed the semi-syn tranny fluid to full synthetic (ATF Z-1 to ATF DW-1). It is said to be compatible.

Edit: oops, just noticed trans fluid in the title.

Last edited by dustino8; 12-22-2011 at 10:16 AM.
dustino8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:13 AM   #3 (permalink)

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goneb4u View Post
Honda Z-1 and DW-1 ATF fluids are intermixable in Honda transmissions designed for Z1. Normal ATF service only removes approx. 3 quarts. I used the new fluid, DW1 at 33000 miles. No problems.
RSQ Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

hi gone, is it easy to remove the vtm4 fill and drain plug?

2006 Toyota Camry V6. 294,000 Miles.
mmm666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 02:04 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmm666 View Post
hi gone, is it easy to remove the vtm4 fill and drain plug?
Yes - but that fluid is for the rear diff only.
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:06 AM   #6 (permalink)

Use a 3/8" extension to remove fill and drain vtm plugs. i put the pilot on jack stands to make it easier to access the rear diff, it helps when refilling as well, I used a drill pump to fill.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

PLEASE (for your own sake) use a new, or very clean pump and hose for filling the VTM unit.
The system is very sensitive to fluid contamination, and there have been reports of problems from as little contamination as using the same pump for regular gear oil, even though it appeared to be empty of residual fluid.

You do not need a drill pump. a cheap gear oil pump works just fine.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:32 AM   #8 (permalink)

"PLEASE (for your own sake) use a new, or very clean pump and hose for filling the VTM unit.
The system is very sensitive to fluid contamination, and there have been reports of problems from as little contamination as using the same pump for regular gear oil, even though it appeared to be empty of residual fluid.

You do not need a drill pump. a cheap gear oil pump works just fine. "

Good points I should have mentioned, my drill pump is used strictly for the vtm refill (4 times now), I hang it on the wall in teh garage to avoid contamination, it was less than $10 and literally takes less than one minute to refill.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Forgot to mention for those with chain saws, the vtm oil is so clean to the eye i recycle it as chain bar lube on my chain saw, works great.
Old 01-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to samc

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSQ Pilot View Post
Honda Z-1 and DW-1 ATF fluids are intermixable in Honda transmissions designed for Z1. Normal ATF service only removes approx. 3 quarts. I used the new fluid, DW1 at 33000 miles. No problems.
Again You can add that new DW1 synthetic stuff if you have normal Z-1 non-synthetic sitting in your tranny but not vice versa. Such as the newer pilots come with DW1 only I believe. Don't be throwing in some old bottles of Z1 fluid just to save a few bucks.
samc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: