DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 04-18-2015, 01:12 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews

great writeup
94ls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2015, 11:49 AM   #2 (permalink)

I'm not sure what happened to all the previous entrites in this thread. I only see the last one. I couldn't even find it when searching from within piloteers.org. I had to do a google search.

Anyway, I decided to do the valve adjustment on my '04 Pilot. Some noticeable valve noise had developed recently when it's cold. Overall, they weren't too out of spec. Only 0.001-0.002" too large of a gap in most cases. Anyway, I brought them all back into spec. The special valve adjustment tool isn't really necessary. There's plenty of room to get a screwdriver and combo wrench in there. Heck, I was even able to use a torque wrench for the final torque setting. The angled gap spacer tool is definitely recommended though for the exhaust valves. All I had was the straight straight gap spacer tool. I ended up removing the individual blades I needed and bending them so it was easier to check the exhaust gap.

Some observations while I was doing the work:
1)
I had to remove the 2 top brackets and 4 bolts that hold the AC condenser in place and move it forward about 1/2" to get the spark plug in #5 cylinder out.
2)
The wire harness over rear the cylinder bank was a bear. I ended up completely removing the metal bracket that it's attached to and a couple more downstream bolts to loosen it up enough to get the valve cover off.
3)
My number 2 and 4 plug coils were slightly discolored when I changed the plugs at 100K. Now I know why. The spark plug tube seals for those cylinders were not sitting tightly around the tube and letting a small amount of oil seep into the spark plug tube. You can see from the pics how they are deformed. It had to have been like that since the vehicle was new since the valve covers were never pulled off before. Oh well, it won't matter now because I put in all new spark plug tube seals along with new valve cover gaskets and bolt gaskets.
4)
The valvetrain for the front back of cylinders (4,5,6) looks brand new. You can still see the green and black dots on the metal from the original assembly. Not bad for 150K. I guess using Mobil 1 exclusively has helped. By comparison, the rear bank (cylinders 1,2,3) was a light amber color. It wasn't too bad except for the underside of the valve cover which looked a little crusty. I attribute the rear bank not looking quite as good as the front because the rear bank doesn't get the direct fresh air through the radiator and runs a bit hotter.
5)
The intake manifold had a lot of carbon buildup and oil residue. While it was removed, I took the opportunity to fully clean it, paying particular attention to the EGR ports on the underside of the cover. After 4 cans of brake cleaner and about 10 toothbrushes, it was clean.
6)
When I pulled the valve covers, the gray paint was flaking off in many places. I decided to strip the covers and reprimer and paint them. I went with a blue color. Now the only problem is the rest of the engine looks too dirty. It's a viscous cycle.

I plan on having it all buttoned up in the next day or two.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-1.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-2.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-3.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-4.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-5.jpg  

DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-6.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-7.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-9.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-10.jpg   DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-8.jpg  

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ahah -the missing thread contents seem to be related to the forum glitch Rocky pointed out on 4/18: Forum glitch hiding contents of threads.

Hopefully they'll reappear later
Old 04-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Anyway, I decided to do the valve adjustment on my '04 Pilot. ....
Excellent write up and pics. Yes, the firewall bank of engine has more varnish than the bumper side. Maybe the PCV runs to the firewall bank.
archie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2015, 09:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep -you're right. The PVC valve is on the rear bank. I suppose that could affect the amount of varnish as well.
Old 04-20-2015, 09:58 PM   #6 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbog View Post
Ahah -the missing thread contents seem to be related to the forum glitch Rocky pointed out on 4/18: Forum glitch hiding contents of threads.

Hopefully they'll reappear later

Auto guide is working on it. If folks notice any odd behavior feel free to pm either Humanoid or myself,
Rocky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2015, 06:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

All done. It started right up but seemed to idle a little higher than normal. After ~5 miles of driving though the idle settled down. The PCM probably had to do some relearning after I cleaned all that crap out of the intake manifold. Now the engine can breathe easier.

I decided to keep the plastic cover off the top of the engine and the one off the front valve cover. It looks like Honda only installs them to give the engine compartment a cleaner appearance.
Attached Thumbnails
DIY (J35A4) valve adjustment-11.jpg  
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: