Oil Change - Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums

Register Home Forums Active Topics Insurance Photo Gallery Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow
Piloteers.org is the premier Honda Pilot Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 08-13-2008, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Default Oil Change

The owners manual says that I should be using 5w-20 type motor oil. But since my pilot is at 96k miles, should I be using 10w-30? I've brought the pilot to the dealership for oil changes since the beginning of time because its always not expensive and not far of a drive... What type of oil does the dealership use? convention or synthetic? 5w-20 or 10w-30?
So the main question is, for a 96k mile pilot(2003), should it be used with 5w-20 or 10w-30?
Thanks
kevinssf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2008, 11:58 AM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Oil Change

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinssf
The owners manual says that I should be using 5w-20 type motor oil. But since my pilot is at 96k miles, should I be using 10w-30? I've brought the pilot to the dealership for oil changes since the beginning of time because its always not expensive and not far of a drive... What type of oil does the dealership use? convention or synthetic? 5w-20 or 10w-30?
So the main question is, for a 96k mile pilot(2003), should it be used with 5w-20 or 10w-30?
Thanks
Hi kevinssf -

The dealership probably uses Honda 5W-20 motor oil, as specified in the manual, which is a conventional (non-synthetic) motor oil. They won't switch to 10W-30 unless it says they are supposed to, and I don't think you should either. There's no real benefit, it won't protect anything any better AFAIK, and it will reduce your mileage a little bit. If I was you, I would stick with a conventional 5W-20 just like the manual says. I've never heard of anyone with engine problems resulting from lubrication failures when they followed the manual's recommendations, nor have I heard of anyone touting any quantifiable benefit to changing to synthetic fluid or thicker oil at any mileage level.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide to do. Your engine will be fine either way.

John
jarizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Senior Member

Default Re: Oil Change

Quote:
Thanks
Your dealer will use conventional 5w-20.

I myself would only switch if there were a specific recommendation from Honda, and I don't recall hearing of any.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

so all the conventional vs synthetic stuff is just marginal differences?
I'm tempted to use 5w-20 synthetic from valvoline(synpower) because its on sale at kragens for $0.99(USD) a quart...

I guess I'll stick to the manual, but the guy at kragen says higher mileage cars will need thicker oils...any reason why?

EDIT: and i guess the question now is convention 5w-20 or synthetic 5w-20?
Old 08-13-2008, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
so all the conventional vs synthetic stuff is just marginal differences?
I'm tempted to use 5w-20 synthetic from valvoline(synpower) because its on sale at kragens for $0.99(USD) a quart...

I guess I'll stick to the manual, but the guy at kragen says higher mileage cars will need thicker oils...any reason why?
Use whatever 5W-20 oil you can get at the lowest price that meets the Honda spec, which is probably API SL or SM with the Energy Conserving stamp. If those are on the bottle, go for it and stop worrying about it. If it's conventional, great. If it's synthetic, great. There are differences to be sure, but you will probably find few tangible benefits, if any at all, by using expensive stuff. Use whatever meets the spec and spend your extra time with your family or volunteering somewhere. There are plenty of other worthwhile things to do and worry about in this world than motor oil.

What exactly does a counter guy at Kragens know about a Honda engine? I assume Honda knows what oil to use for their engine, considering they wrote the manual and all. Back in the bad old days, cars probably did need thicker motor oils at higher mileage. Since then, engine manufacturing technology and materials have improved dramatically, and such measures are probably no longer necessary. I'm sure you'll find plenty of people who continue to use 5W-20 as long as the engine runs, and when it finally dies, it will be from something that wouldn't have been helped at all by using a thicker oil. That's strictly a personal opinion, you understand, not a scientific fact, but since Honda provides maintenance schedules that extend far beyond your current mileage, and nowhere in there does it say to change from 5W-20 at any mileage or for any other reason, it's hard to argue with that logic.

Happy lubricating.

John
jarizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

^^
That post...ftw lol. Now that everything's cleared up, im just gonna use 5w-20 synthetic from valvoline.
Old 08-13-2008, 06:21 PM   #7 (permalink)

Default My honda dealer uses....

Valvoline dino in the proper weight. They haven't used Honda oil in 3+ years I have been using them. I dig Honda fluids for trans/diffy. I am not convinced you need Honda PS or brake fluid. I have had a place use ATF fluid that claims on the label that it meets Honda specs w/o issue. That is on 2 Accords. YMMV. Cheers!
Old 08-13-2008, 06:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

Default Re: My honda dealer uses....

Quote:
Originally posted by beer4799
Valvoline dino in the proper weight. They haven't used Honda oil in 3+ years I have been using them. I dig Honda fluids for trans/diffy. I am not convinced you need Honda PS or brake fluid. I have had a place use ATF fluid that claims on the label that it meets Honda specs w/o issue. That is on 2 Accords. YMMV. Cheers!
whats valvoline dino?
Old 08-13-2008, 07:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
NSX Driver

FYI-dino is the nickname for dinosaur which is the source of conventional oil.

I use synthetic in my Acura NSX but conventional in the Pilot because of the cost. I think it is more important that you change the oil regularly than whether it is conventional or synthetic.

I am glad you decided to stick with 5w-20 as the manual calls for. The bearing clearances are tighter these days and going with a thicker oil is a bad idea.
Big_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 12:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
[B]
This used to be true for back in the day when 100,000 miles on an engine meant it was beat to hell, leaking and burning oil left and right, over 30 years ago.

I tell people this all the time: whatever your dad taught you about cars is wrong. Someday I'll give my son all sorts of wrongheaded information as well (such as "you have to change your oil every 10,000 miles! whaddaya mean the new oils last 25,000 miles? That's crazy talk!)
'03 VW Passat Wagon GLX V6, Blue Anthracite
'73 VW Fastback, Marina Blue
'94 John Deere LX176
ctobio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 10:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: My honda dealer uses....

Quote:

whats valvoline dino?

Regular oil not synthetic.....Dino..made from dinosaur(s) remains....
Old 08-15-2008, 12:19 PM   #12 (permalink)

I'm slowly breaking my wife of the "change your oil every 3k" mentality. Her dad was a mechanic and his daughters learned well. They just didn't change with the times and technology.
2007 Pilot EX-L AWD Nav Nimbus Grey, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Cargo Cover, WWong's pads, Blitzsafe Aux Input & Sirius Starbase, Splash Guards, Subframe Braces, DEI 452T auto door lock mod, Fumoto drain valve, Parrot 3200 Bluetooth, Polk db651s & db651, Michelin LTX M/S2

1999 F-250SD XLT SC 4x4 Black & Silver, Stainless Running Boards, Weathertech Window Deflectors, Sirius
macphanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 04:41 PM   #13 (permalink)

Default Re: My honda dealer uses....

Quote:
Originally posted by beer4799
I'm not sure if many Honda dealers use Honda brand oil. Most carry it in the parts dept, but for oil changes, I think it is up to their discretion. The Honda dealership where we take our Pilot buys their oil in bulk from a company here in WI.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
EDIT: and i guess the question now is convention 5w-20 or synthetic 5w-20?
Synthetic oil is superior to conventional oil... but whether or not you actually will take advantage of that is a different question. In my opinion for a vehicle that seeing just normal street use, synthetic is not necessary unless you plan on doing extended oil change intervals (~10k miles). If you're racing a vehicle at the track (high RPMs), then synthetic makes more sense.

If you plan on changing your oil every 5k miles or less, then you won't notice a difference with either oil (except that you'll be paying more for maintenance).

I'm not comfortable leaving my oil in that long, because of the contaminants that build up in the oil, so I use conventional.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

Default Re: Re: My honda dealer uses....

Quote:
Originally posted by sjlee

I'm not sure if many Honda dealers use Honda brand oil. Most carry it in the parts dept, but for oil changes, I think it is up to their discretion. The Honda dealership where we take our Pilot buys their oil in bulk from a company here in WI.
My point exactly. There is no "double secret probation*" Honda oil refinery hidden in the Mid-West somewhere. Ohhh, you better use Honda oil.....Please! A/T fluid perhaps (but others are certified for use) and also diffy fluid. The main thing is, keep your fluids changed and stick with it.
Cheers to all!

* Animal House reference
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: